install-xe-guest-utilities for Gentoo
This is a single-file script that automates the process of installing Citrix XenServer's
xe-guest-utilities-xenstore (collectively known as Citrix XS-tools)
I use Citrix XenServer extensively in my company for virtualization. And as I progressively move the company servers from Windows to Gentoo Linux, I found out that Citrix does not support installation of XS-tools on Gentoo. (I can't blame Citrix; Gentoo installations wildly vary from one instance to another, thanks to Gentoo's extreme customizability).
Christopher Wojno indeed has provided a method for installing Citrix XS-tools on Gentoo. However, the method in the link provided must be performed manually, and thus fraught with errors/mistakes (user errors/mistakes, that is).
Because I plan on deploying even more Gentoo VMs on top of XenServer, I need an automated method to deploy Citrix XS-tools on my Gentoo VMs.
Hence, this script.
Differences with Wojno's method
- Does not install the RHEL/CentOS initscript, but installs my own OpenRC-compatible initscript
- Does not need the xenstore source files
- Properly makes symlinks in
xenstore, instead of making individual files
- Up-to-date Gentoo portage tree (use
- The latest
xs-tools.isoor the suitable pair of
(No need to memorize the above; the script will perform a requirement check)
How to use
- Download the source using the get source >> link and extract the content in a directory (*any* directory, as long as executables are allowed in it).
chmod +x install-xe-guest-utilities.sh
./install-xe-guest-utilities.sh --helpto read the syntax
- Mount xs-tools.iso into the DVD drive of the VM using XenCenter
- Run the script
- Enjoy :)