Simple TCP server which interfaces the Windows 8 Location API and serves NMEA sentences. Intended for use with OpenCPN.
I have tested the server on my shiny new Asus VivoTab Smart.
Feedback is most welcome.
How to use
- Download GeolocationTCP-r6.exe. You might also need GeolocationTCP.exe.config. Place it in the same directory as
GeolocationTCP-r6.exe. Start the program.
- Open OpenCPN, go to Options > Connections and create new Network connection with Adress 127.0.0.1 and DataPort 15555.
- Windows will try to locate your position using either of these sources: Cellular, Wifi, Satellite. Thus if you want to see what you get offshore, turn off your cellular and wifi connections.
- The frequency of location updates might be quite irregular.
- If your position is off, try
Settings > User Interfaceand set
Show Lat/Long asto
Degrees, Minutes, Seconds.
See Using Windows 8* WinRT API from desktop applications on how to setup VS Express.