Quick guide to writing a PFLOTRAN input file
Unless otherwise specified, the units in the input deck are assumed to be:
- Pressure: Pascal [Pa] (absolute)
- Temperature: Celcius [C]
- Distance: meter [m]
- Volume: meter3 [m3]
- Time: second [s]
- Velocity: meters/second [m/s]
- Concentration: molarity [M] or molality [m] if MOLAL keyword used in CHEMISTRY card
- Enthalpy: kilojoules/mole [KJ/mol]
- Mass: kilograms [kg]
- Rate: mass/time [kg/s] or volume/time [m3/s]
- Rock density: kilograms/meter3 [kg/m3]
Example Input Decks
Simple Flow Problem: Simple, vertical 1D variably-saturated flow.
Input Deck Specification
PFLOTRAN input files are divided into blocks based on the process models employed. Process models are defined within the SIMULATION block which for convenience, should be located at the top of the input file (but this is not required). Cards within the SIMULATION block include:
- Opens the SIMULATION block.
- SIMULATION_TYPE <string>
Defines the domain to be modeled and the types of process models employed. Options include:
Opens a block for defining all process models employed. At this point, the ordering and linkage of these process models is preset. For instance, SUBSURFACE_FLOW processes always precede SUBSURFACE_TRANSPORT processes in timestep execution. Options include:
- Opens a block for specifying checkpointing parameters.
- Specifies name of restart files and time at which to restart if different from checkpoint time.
- Opens a block of input parameters for subsurface process models (this block is essentially, the old PFLOTRAN input file with the exception that several of the cards (i.e. flow MODE) have been moved to the SIMULATION block.
- Closes the subsurface block.
SUBSURFACE keywords (Look here for all subsurface keywords, essentially most of the old input guide keywords.)
SIMULATION SIMULATION_TYPE SUBSURFACE PROCESS_MODELS SUBSURFACE_FLOW flow ... / SUBSURFACE_TRANSPORT transport ... / / CHECKPOINT PERIODIC TIMESTEP 10 TIMES y 10. FORMAT HDF5 / RESTART restart.chk 0. END SUBSURFACE ... END_SUBSURFACE