How did the input deck change?
The PFLOTRAN input deck was refactored as follows:
- A SIMULATION block defining the simulation type and the process models employed was added. In the future, this block will be expanded to enable custom coupling of process models, whereas at this point in time, the process models are configured based on a combination of the SIMULATION_TYPE and PROCESS_MODELS specified.
- Input parameters are now specified by domain within a block (i.e. SURFACE, SUBSURFACE).
- MODE and cards supporting mode options have been deprecated. For instance, an input deck for General mode no longer uses the keyword MODE. If one includes MODE, the code will report a error.
How does one update their input deck?
- If one is running a traditional subsurface simulation with flow and/or transport, try using the python script
This script will recursively update all input decks (i.e. *.in) in the current and underlying directories. Use this script with care.
- Manually edit your input file
- Remove the MODE card and any other cards defining MODE-specific information (e.g. ICE models, ISOTHERMAL, FREEZING, etc.).
- Encapsulate your existing input deck. If the simulation is for subsurface flow and/or transport, prepend SUBSURFACE and append END_SUBSURFACE to the existing input deck.
- Add one of the following SIMULATION blocks outside the encapsulated input deck:
- Subsurface flow only.SIMULATION SIMULATION_TYPE SUBSURFACE PROCESS_MODELS SUBSURFACE_FLOW flow MODE RICHARDS / / END SUBSURFACE ... ! the original input deck END_SUBSURFACE
- Subsurface transport only.SIMULATION SIMULATION_TYPE SUBSURFACE PROCESS_MODELS SUBSURFACE_TRANSPORT transport / / END SUBSURFACE ... ! the original input deck END_SUBSURFACE
- Subsurface flow and transport.SIMULATION SIMULATION_TYPE SUBSURFACE PROCESS_MODELS SUBSURFACE_FLOW flow MODE RICHARDS / SUBSURFACE_TRANSPORT transport / / END SUBSURFACE ... ! the original input deck END_SUBSURFACE
- Surface and subsurface flow.SIMULATION SIMULATION_TYPE SURFACE_SUBSURFACE PROCESS_MODELS SUBSURFACE_FLOW flow MODE TH OPTIONS FREEZING ICE_MODEL PAINTER_KARRA_EXPLICIT / / SURFACE_SUBSURFACE flow / END SUBSURFACE ... ! the original input deck END_SUBSURFACE SURFACE ... ! the original input deck END_SURFACE