NegativePrint and CutMedia=JobEnd doesn't work on QL-570

Issue #2 resolved
ladislav_laska
created an issue

Hi! I've just got my QL-570 working with this updated driver. The QL-570 support fixes padding problems I encountered with QL-550 driver, and seems to work just fine, although there are two minor problems:

  • NegativePrint=True causes error on the printer side, and cups reports "Unknown RLE flag at 0x1beb0ea: '0x00'"
  • CutMedia=JobEnd doesn't cut. The label is printed, but not cut. =LabelEnd works as expected.

Other features seem to work fine. I have not yet tested printing on a continuous tape.

Comments (15)

  1. Philip Pemberton repo owner

    NegativePrint is an odd one. All this does (or should do) is invert the pixels as they're printed. I'll see if it does anything weird on my PT-2450DX. It would help if you could provide a document (and a set of print settings, e.g. paper size) which causes the NegativePrint issue. Looking at the code, it seems like a buffer pointer is getting out of sync. To put it simply: what you print may have a bearing on how this bug manifests.

    CutMedia -- I suspect this is a quirk in the way the QL series handles paper cutting vs. the PT series. Needs investigating, but I don't have a printer to test with (all I have is a QL-500 which doesn't have an auto cutter). Sadly a QL-570 isn't something I've budgeted for...

  2. ladislav_laska reporter

    I have attached a pdf demonstrating the negative print. My command was: lp -d ql -o CutMedia=LabelEnd -o NegativePrint=True adresa.pdf

    As for the CutMedia, I can do some testing for you if you have some ideas. I could even boot windows and sniff some usb traffic from orignal driver, if that would help you.

  3. Philip Pemberton repo owner

    Thanks for the PDF test case. I've got a QL-570 on order (I found one for somewhat less than I expected, "slightly used", with a few rolls of labels included).

    What settings (label type, etc.) were you using with the driver?

  4. ladislav_laska reporter

    Great! I bought mine, brand new one for approximately $35 just a few months ago, with two test rolls (they are pretty expensive, as they come with cartridges, but alternatives can be found on ebay). Let me know if I can donate a few bucks toward the cause!

    I'll attach my default options and hope it contains everything. However, I think they are all defaults. I might have changed print quality.

    One more thing with the negative print: from the experiments I did to send you sample, I came to the printer yesterday, printed another label and it printed the inverted sample instead, but only the first 1.4cm, the rest of the label was blank. I can't send you a photo (it was actually wrong one and contains some personal information not mine to share) and I wasn't able to reproduce it, but I think I printed a few blank labels (like the one I attached here) between this one and the print that caused it.

  5. Philip Pemberton repo owner

    Great! I bought mine, brand new one for approximately $35 just a few months ago, with two test rolls (they are pretty expensive, as they come with cartridges, but alternatives can be found on ebay). Let me know if I can donate a few bucks toward the cause!

    Ahh, mine was perhaps not quite such a good deal -- £45 (British Sterling), but it comes with the original power cable, a USB cable, and five non-original (not Brother, cloned) paper rolls. I have a fair selection of paper rolls for the QL-500, so it's probably fair to say I'll be able to find something that works. I'm not in this for the money, but if you feel like throwing a few $ or £ in, I'm going to say... wait until I've fixed these two bugs first :)

    One more thing with the negative print: from the experiments I did to send you sample, I came to the printer yesterday, printed another label and it printed the inverted sample instead,

    That sounds like part of the negative label was partly sent to the printer. Which makes sense -- the "unknown RLE flag" error is from rastertoptch.

  6. Philip Pemberton repo owner

    Okay, firstly you've got the Page Size set wrong in your driver. Your PDF is 90 x 29mm, which means you need to be using the "Standard Address Label" template. Your label also needs to be rotated 90 degrees as the QL printer feeds in "portrait" orientation.

    Page Size "Floppy Tape" is the 62 x 50 mm -- I think this is a size intended for use with the DK-22205 "Continuous Paper Tape" label.

    I've a sneaking suspicion you've managed to cause a buffer overrun in the driver -- the input image was too wide, but it tried to convert it anyway. I need to see if there's a "stop at the edge of the print head" check, and make sure that code works correctly.

    But, as you said, if you print that PDF file, you get "Unknown RLE flag".

    EDIT: Hmm. There seems to be a "Binder3cmSpineTape" PageSize coming from somewhere too...

    D [28/Jul/2016:19:43:03 +0100] [Job 349] ================================================
    D [28/Jul/2016:19:43:03 +0100] [Job 349] File: <STDIN>
    D [28/Jul/2016:19:43:03 +0100] [Job 349] ================================================
    D [28/Jul/2016:19:43:03 +0100] [Job 349] Filetype: PDF
    D [28/Jul/2016:19:43:03 +0100] [Job 349] PostScript option found: PageSize=Binder3cmSpineTape: "<</PageSize[82 592]/ImagingBBox null/MediaType (roll)>>setpagedevice"
    D [28/Jul/2016:19:43:03 +0100] [Job 349] Driver does not understand PDF input, converting to PostScript
    
  7. Log in to comment