The purpose of Velotrakr is to provide a place to put scads of data related to my cycling hobby. Any and all data I can think of, routes, speeds, bike profiles, images of my hopefully receeding beer gut, etc. Overtime the goal is that Velotrakr will have good tools for charting any of these metrics in interesting and hopefully fun ways.
Another goal is to provide a place to hold instructions for creating or using DIY devices related to cycling. For instance, building a custom arduino route tracker with something like this.
If you want to hack on this with me then feel free! Here are my tenets for participation:
- Data belongs to the individual: It's your effort and your contribution so you own it. I must make sure that if you want to export your data then you can easily do so. If you just want to access portions of your data, then there should be an api to allow you to query it. If you want to remove your data then there shouldn't be an extensive administrivial process to do so.
- Code is open: I'm using the Pyramid framework, and this repo is available to the public. Extend and enhance as you see fit... but please share your work. :)
- Groups and Clubs rule!: Confederations of individuals should be encouraged, because that is an awesome motivator.
- Privacy is important: if you want to use an alias, or you want everything encrypted, then why the heck not. I don't care about your data anymore than you might care about mine so let's make sure that the only people who see your data are you and anybody you explicity share it with. This will most certainly be the most difficult goal to acheive, but it's too important to just sweep under the rug. I'll do my best, but I can't promise anything. If you're a security expert then tear this app apart! I want to know everything that's wrong and I want to fix it no matter how inconvienent it will be.
- It's been done a million times before: But who cares! I'm doing it anyway and I know there are enough hackers out there with similar interests that could make this a lot of fun.
How to run
So this repo is supposed to be a virtualenv, and the subdirectory velotrakr is the actual app package. At some point this layout will change and the site will be a seperate repo from the package. For now this is the quickest way to get up and running.
Steps for getting rolling:
- git clone git://github.com/photex/velotrakr.git
- cd velotrakr
- virtualenv --no-site-packages .
- pip install -r requirements.txt
- cd velotrakr
- python setup.py develop
- paster serve development.ini --reload
That should be all you need to do for now.
Copyright (C) 2011
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Affero General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU Affero General Public License along with this program. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.