Things to do or at least think about doing in the future. Name in
parenthesis means that person has taken on this project.
* allow foreach ($array as $k => &$val) syntax. right now we cannot
traverse an array without copying each element.
* allow foreach ($array as $k => list($a, $b)) syntax for multi
* look at replacing c-lib call tolower().
* make hash API functions work with HASH_OF() to save time.
* native large number support (probably with GNU GMP)
* Const'ify APIs. Right now, many functions leave parameters untouched,
but don't declare those as const. This makes interaction with other
interfaces difficult which pass const parameters to us.
* add try..catch/throw exception handling
* make UNC filenames work with V_CD layer
* when used in standalone (skell-script like) mode don't urldecode
arguments passed to php. right now it's not possible to say
/usr/local/bin/php somescript.php dog+cat.txt
as "dog+cat.txt" will arrive in php as "dog cat.txt".
* make everything on the language-level independent of your locale setings.
* always build the standalone executable as well as the chosen SAPI
* make sure all source files have the "right" copyright.
* the following modules still use PHP3_TLS_*() macros (and thereby don't
work in ZTS mode): ext/db/db.c, ext/gd/gd.c
* make sure that all ZTS globals get destructed. Most ts_allocate_id()
calls should have a dtor entry.
* activate all extensions by default that don't rely on external
dependices. (eg ftp)
* --enable-all in configure. (--enable-shared=max ...)
* make configure print out a summary when it's done (like XEmacs)
* replace standard functions which work on static data with
reentrancy-safe functions (DONE?).
* on some platforms unimplemented function will just do nothing (e.g. symlink)
they should print a warning or not even be defined!
* implement javadoc based function docs template system.
* use thread-safe resolver functions (either require BIND 8 or adns).
* provide optional IPv6 support.
* make SAPI conform to CGI/1.1. Currently, all SAPI modules
define REMOTE_ADDR etc. themselves and reach only various level
* find a better way to implement script timeouts. SIGVTALRM is used
by some POSIX threads implementations (i.e. OpenBSD) and is not
available in ZTS mode.
* add aliases to functions to conform to new naming conventions, e.g.
* see what functions might need to be changed to use HashPosition, so
that the internal array pointer is not affected.
* add remarks in the documentation which functions are not implemented on win32.
* add remarks in the documentation which functions are not binary-safe.
* improve documentation for the sablotron extension
* update curl documentation
* write documentation for the bzip2 extension
* write documentation for the zziplib extension
* Use the cURL write handler to save data for use when returning data or outputting
* Have a warning scheme for when people use unsupported features.
* all OCIFetch*() functions should return 0 for no more data and false on error.
* have a flag that trims trailing spaces from CHAR fields on retrieval.
* make allow_call_time_pass_reference=Off working.
* for additional todo information, see oci8.c, in ext/oci8
* Allow user to set PCRE_NOTEMPTY, PCRE_ANCHORED at execution time, maybe
* add option to preg_grep() to return entries that _don't_ match
* Re-write the error handling and reporting interface
* Cleanup the underlying code a bit
* Add proper support for the message handlers
* maybe implement finer-grained session variables that could be
* write a network-transparent storage back-end with fallover
* provide a callback facility which is executed upon encountering
an unknown classname during deserialization
* Make the extension work on windows (Daniel Beulshausen)
* Make the extension work with Solaris and the Sun GCC
* add a version number to data serialized via serialize().
* array_add(). (Andrei)
* possibly modify parsing of GPC data to automatically create arrays if
variable name is seen more than once.
* implement regex-cache for url-functions.
* stri_replace(). (Andrei)
* move socket related functions to fsock.c.
* NOT binary safe:
* rewrite win32 SMTP code to be useable for *ix to, maybe as a (default)
module of its own (Hartmut)
* more fully support the zziplib api
* See if we can support the remaining datatypes:
other cool stuff
* PVM extension