Commits

Carl Friedrich Bolz  committed 969dfc9

fixeol (!)

  • Participants
  • Parent commits 66bf199

Comments (0)

Files changed (8)

File planning/conference-planning.txt

 Time & location: 24-26 Feburary, 2006, Addison, Texas (near Dallas)
 
 Out of the pypy group four talks were submitted.  
-Acceptance pending (15th November ASFAIK). 
+Acceptance pending (15th November ASFAIK). 
 The 3 PyPy talks where accepted into the PyCon programme!
 
 Due: sprint planning, possibly inviting Ka Ping (regarding E-lang) 
-
-
-Calibre workshop
------------------
-CALIBRE Workshop on Distributed Development, Open Source & Industry
+
+
+Calibre workshop
+-----------------
+CALIBRE Workshop on Distributed Development, Open Source & Industry
 - Opportunities, Suspicions, & Strategies 
-
-Time & location: 3 of March 2006 Skövde Sweden
-
-www.calibre.ie
-
-No papers submitted - Bea will attend.
-( Bea didnt attend - Jacob did).
-
-XP France:
---------------
-24-25th March? Nicholas?
-
-Logilab attended and did a talk.
-
-
-ACCU 2006
-----------
-
-DEADLINE: 10th of February (early bird)
-
-Software development - C++, Agile methods and Python.
-
-Time & location: 19th -22nd of April, Oxford, UK
-
-http://www.accu.org/conference/
-
-No papers submitted - attendance - Michael H, Jacob?
-Michael will do a talk there about PyPy.
-
-XP 2006
------------
-
-eXtreme programming and agile processes in software engineering.
-
-Time & location: 17-22th June 2006 Oulu, Finland 
-
-Call for papers:
-Submission date: 30th of January 2006 
-Experience report accepted - Bea will go and present.
-
-http://virtual.vtt.fi/virtual/xp2006/sivu1.html
-
-Agile 2006
------------
-
-DEADLINE: 23 June 2005 (end of early bird registration)
-
-Annual US agile conference (the main agile alliance conference) - last year were
-sold out.
-
-Call for papers:
-http://www.agile2006.org./
-- 31 January for research papers
-- 28 February for experience reports
-
-Time and location: 23-28th of July 2006, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
-
-Experience report proposal accepted - Bea will submit the report 
-(first draft 14th April, final draft 30th April) and go there. 
-
-OOPSLA 2006
-------------
-DEADLINE: registration starts 15th of June (no deadline known)
-
-International conference on Objecto Oriented programming, Systems
-languages and applications.
-
-Time & location: 22nd-26th of October 2006, Portland, Oregon
-
-Call for papers: 
-Submission deadline: 18th of March
-
-http://www.oopsla.org/2006/
-
-Samuele and Armin plan to submit paper and attend.
-
-No paper submitted - attendance (workshop dynamic languages)?
-
-MIDDLEWARE 2006
--------------------------
-DEADLINE: 3rd April 2006/scientific papers
-
-Time & location: November 27 - December 1, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
- 
- http://2006.middleware-conference.org/
- 
-ACM/IFIP/USENIX 7th International Middleware Conference
- "Novel development paradigms, APIs, and languages"/PyPy?
- 
- Suggestion by Holger. Submission/attendance?
+
+Time & location: 3 of March 2006 Skövde Sweden
+
+www.calibre.ie
+
+No papers submitted - Bea will attend.
+( Bea didnt attend - Jacob did).
+
+XP France:
+--------------
+24-25th March? Nicholas?
+
+Logilab attended and did a talk.
+
+
+ACCU 2006
+----------
+
+DEADLINE: 10th of February (early bird)
+
+Software development - C++, Agile methods and Python.
+
+Time & location: 19th -22nd of April, Oxford, UK
+
+http://www.accu.org/conference/
+
+No papers submitted - attendance - Michael H, Jacob?
+Michael will do a talk there about PyPy.
+
+XP 2006
+-----------
+
+eXtreme programming and agile processes in software engineering.
+
+Time & location: 17-22th June 2006 Oulu, Finland 
+
+Call for papers:
+Submission date: 30th of January 2006 
+Experience report accepted - Bea will go and present.
+
+http://virtual.vtt.fi/virtual/xp2006/sivu1.html
+
+Agile 2006
+-----------
+
+DEADLINE: 23 June 2005 (end of early bird registration)
+
+Annual US agile conference (the main agile alliance conference) - last year were
+sold out.
+
+Call for papers:
+http://www.agile2006.org./
+- 31 January for research papers
+- 28 February for experience reports
+
+Time and location: 23-28th of July 2006, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
+
+Experience report proposal accepted - Bea will submit the report 
+(first draft 14th April, final draft 30th April) and go there. 
+
+OOPSLA 2006
+------------
+DEADLINE: registration starts 15th of June (no deadline known)
+
+International conference on Objecto Oriented programming, Systems
+languages and applications.
+
+Time & location: 22nd-26th of October 2006, Portland, Oregon
+
+Call for papers: 
+Submission deadline: 18th of March
+
+http://www.oopsla.org/2006/
+
+Samuele and Armin plan to submit paper and attend.
+
+No paper submitted - attendance (workshop dynamic languages)?
+
+MIDDLEWARE 2006
+-------------------------
+DEADLINE: 3rd April 2006/scientific papers
+
+Time & location: November 27 - December 1, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
+ 
+ http://2006.middleware-conference.org/
+ 
+ACM/IFIP/USENIX 7th International Middleware Conference
+ "Novel development paradigms, APIs, and languages"/PyPy?
+ 
+ Suggestion by Holger. Submission/attendance?

File planning/malaga_exhibition_feb2006/information_pypy_malaga.txt

-II Open Source World Conference Malaga 2006
-===============================================
-
-Time: 15-17th February 2006
-Place: Malaga, Trade Fairs and Congress Centre Malaga
-url: http://www.opensourceworldconference.com/malaga06/en/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=Sobre+M%E1laga
-Arranging conference: Juan Reig, ++34670644131
-Final programme: see extradoc/planning/malaga_exhibition_feb2006/
-Programme IIOSWC 2006 - FINAL.pdf
-
-PyPy will:
-
-1. Participate in the exhibition, hosted by the European Commission, DG 
-Information Society and Media - PyPy and tOSSad as OSS projects funded by
-the Commission.
-
-EC will only present their DG activities (no slide show or presentations) - just
-distributing advertising material. tOSSad will bring poster and brochures. 
-PyPy will bring mobile roll-up poster, printed PyPy Fact Sheets and a project 
-presentation.
-
-EC contacts: 3 people participating Anne-Marie Sassen,Jesus Villasante, 
-Valerie Stagno, (Graziana Lonero?)
-tOSSad contacts: 1-3 people participating, Bulent Ozel (Kaan Erkan?)
-PyPy: Jacob Hallén, Alastair Burt
-
-(the names mentioned for EC and tOSSad where people involved in emails during the 
-preparation of the exhibition - no confirmation with the actual names was sent out. PyPy
-presented our persons with names).
-
-2. Workshop PyPy 16th Febr 12-13 Jacob Hallén (english)
-
-Alastair talked to the organizer Juan Reig, and agreed to Alastair doing the 
-talk in spanish. Deadline for presentations submissions was 10th Febr.
-They have not changed name for speaker or language in the last version of the 
-programme.
-
---------------------------------------------
-Information from the organizers:
---------------------------------------------
-Email: 2006-02-09
-
-The Organization of the II Open Source World Conference would 
-like to provide you with updated information on the general 
-situation of the Conference and we enclose the final Programme.  
-
-We would like to communicate that a change in the schedule of the 
-Programme of the conference has taken place, being transferred 
-the official opening session and the Key note speech to 12:00 
-in the morning of the 15th of February, due to a series of reasons: 
-to take advantage of the opportunity to have like lecturer of the 
-opening session Michail Bletsas, from the Massachusetts Institute 
-of Technology (MIT), Chief Connectivity Officer in charge of 
-the Project 100$ Laptop and "One laptop per child", that it is 
-being designed on the base of an open source operating system; 
-we have also had to extend the number of sessions due to the 
-important increase of speakers and the extension of the plenary 
-session on patents, licences and IPR, motivated by the number of 
-participants anticipated in the debate.
-
-The Conference maintains a very high scientific and technical 
-level and the diversity of speakers and participants that 
-always we have tried and that without a doubt will enrich the 
-results of this event. Around 200 speakers will participate 
-along the next days in the sessions in Malaga. In relation to 
-the attendance we have confirmed over 4500 participants with 
-which we consider a presence throughout the three days around 
-6000 attendees.
-
-Shortly we will send you the instructions on how to get to the 
-Trade Fair and Conference Centre of Malaga and once there where 
-to pick your personalized accreditation.
-
-In addition, inform you that tomorrow, the 10th is the last 
-day to receive your presentation in case you haven’t sent it 
-yet. If for any circumstance you can not do it, please get in 
-contact with the Technical Secretariat at the Trade Centre asap.
-
-Please keep in mind the change in the schedule! I want to 
-encourage you take advantage of the opportunity of being able 
-to listen to the key responsible of an exciting worldwide project 
-for everybody.
- 
-Best regards,
-JUAN REIG
-Conference Chairman
-II Open Source World Conference
-MALAGA 15-17 FEBRUARY 2006
-+34670644131-FAX +34670641066
-chairman@opensourceworldconference.com
-www.opensourceworldconference.com
-
-Email: 2006-02-11
-
-Dear Speaker
-
-For your comfort we will try to deliver your accreditation in the room of 
-your Hotel. If you arrive directly to the Congress Centre, you can pick-up 
-your accreditation at the Technical Secretariat, which will be located 
-between both main auditoriums next to the central patio. We remain you 
-that it is not necessary to go through the accreditation counters of the 
-entrance hall. Please verify in the reception of the hotel the schedule of 
-buses that leave towards the Congress Centre. 
-
-We make available for all the attendees, free access points to high speed 
-Internet located within the Exhibition between the stands. In case you prefer to connect with some own portable device with wireless connectivity, you will have also the possibility since all the facility WIFI connected 
-for free access to the participants. In that case, you will only have to select 
-the option of configuration of DHCP. However, if you have any problem on 
-connectivity the technical personnel will be able to assist you.
-
-We want also to indicate that there will be a room for speakers located in 
-the first floor, Room nş 10, where it will be possible to update your presentation 
-or to use some of the computers available for you. 
-
-Before your session we recommended you to contact with the chair of your 
-session directly or through the Technical Secretariat.  Please indicate to 
-him/her how you want to de introduced and enumerate very briefly the 
-two or three key points of your presentation.
-
-We also remind you some previous information concerning your presentation 
-already sent to you:
-
-    * We recommend a 15 minutes oral presentation to allow some 
-	discussion and Q&A time at the end of the session. To protect 
-	the rights of your other colleague speakers and the rights of the 
-	attendees to listen to all the presentation included on the programme,
-	it would not be possible for any speaker to go beyond 20 minutes. The 
-	chair has received instructions to be very strict on the timing due to the 
-	above reasons. We ask for your kind cooperation on this issue.
-	
-    * The presentation format should be OpenOffice or PDF. Except exceptional 
-	cases, only organization computers or laptops with preloaded presentations 
-	will be used for the presentation at the conference rooms. In case that 
-	you need to modify or update your presentation there will be available working 
-	rooms at the Technical Secretariat or speaker’s room. There will be 
-	also a technical team specialized in Open Source to support you in 
-	case you have additional request at the Trade Fair and Conference 
-	Centre at Malaga. If for exceptional reasons you need to use your 
-	own laptop, please let us know at the Technical Secretariat to make 
-	sure that everything goes smoothly.
-
-We wish you a pleasant trip and look forward to welcome you in 
-Malaga personally. 
-
-Juan Reig
-
-Conference Chairman
-
-+34670644131
-chairman@opensourceworldconference.com
+II Open Source World Conference Malaga 2006
+===============================================
+
+Time: 15-17th February 2006
+Place: Malaga, Trade Fairs and Congress Centre Malaga
+url: http://www.opensourceworldconference.com/malaga06/en/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=Sobre+M%E1laga
+Arranging conference: Juan Reig, ++34670644131
+Final programme: see extradoc/planning/malaga_exhibition_feb2006/
+Programme IIOSWC 2006 - FINAL.pdf
+
+PyPy will:
+
+1. Participate in the exhibition, hosted by the European Commission, DG 
+Information Society and Media - PyPy and tOSSad as OSS projects funded by
+the Commission.
+
+EC will only present their DG activities (no slide show or presentations) - just
+distributing advertising material. tOSSad will bring poster and brochures. 
+PyPy will bring mobile roll-up poster, printed PyPy Fact Sheets and a project 
+presentation.
+
+EC contacts: 3 people participating Anne-Marie Sassen,Jesus Villasante, 
+Valerie Stagno, (Graziana Lonero?)
+tOSSad contacts: 1-3 people participating, Bulent Ozel (Kaan Erkan?)
+PyPy: Jacob Hallén, Alastair Burt
+
+(the names mentioned for EC and tOSSad where people involved in emails during the 
+preparation of the exhibition - no confirmation with the actual names was sent out. PyPy
+presented our persons with names).
+
+2. Workshop PyPy 16th Febr 12-13 Jacob Hallén (english)
+
+Alastair talked to the organizer Juan Reig, and agreed to Alastair doing the 
+talk in spanish. Deadline for presentations submissions was 10th Febr.
+They have not changed name for speaker or language in the last version of the 
+programme.
+
+--------------------------------------------
+Information from the organizers:
+--------------------------------------------
+Email: 2006-02-09
+
+The Organization of the II Open Source World Conference would 
+like to provide you with updated information on the general 
+situation of the Conference and we enclose the final Programme.  
+
+We would like to communicate that a change in the schedule of the 
+Programme of the conference has taken place, being transferred 
+the official opening session and the Key note speech to 12:00 
+in the morning of the 15th of February, due to a series of reasons: 
+to take advantage of the opportunity to have like lecturer of the 
+opening session Michail Bletsas, from the Massachusetts Institute 
+of Technology (MIT), Chief Connectivity Officer in charge of 
+the Project 100$ Laptop and "One laptop per child", that it is 
+being designed on the base of an open source operating system; 
+we have also had to extend the number of sessions due to the 
+important increase of speakers and the extension of the plenary 
+session on patents, licences and IPR, motivated by the number of 
+participants anticipated in the debate.
+
+The Conference maintains a very high scientific and technical 
+level and the diversity of speakers and participants that 
+always we have tried and that without a doubt will enrich the 
+results of this event. Around 200 speakers will participate 
+along the next days in the sessions in Malaga. In relation to 
+the attendance we have confirmed over 4500 participants with 
+which we consider a presence throughout the three days around 
+6000 attendees.
+
+Shortly we will send you the instructions on how to get to the 
+Trade Fair and Conference Centre of Malaga and once there where 
+to pick your personalized accreditation.
+
+In addition, inform you that tomorrow, the 10th is the last 
+day to receive your presentation in case you haven’t sent it 
+yet. If for any circumstance you can not do it, please get in 
+contact with the Technical Secretariat at the Trade Centre asap.
+
+Please keep in mind the change in the schedule! I want to 
+encourage you take advantage of the opportunity of being able 
+to listen to the key responsible of an exciting worldwide project 
+for everybody.
+ 
+Best regards,
+JUAN REIG
+Conference Chairman
+II Open Source World Conference
+MALAGA 15-17 FEBRUARY 2006
++34670644131-FAX +34670641066
+chairman@opensourceworldconference.com
 www.opensourceworldconference.com
+
+Email: 2006-02-11
+
+Dear Speaker
+
+For your comfort we will try to deliver your accreditation in the room of 
+your Hotel. If you arrive directly to the Congress Centre, you can pick-up 
+your accreditation at the Technical Secretariat, which will be located 
+between both main auditoriums next to the central patio. We remain you 
+that it is not necessary to go through the accreditation counters of the 
+entrance hall. Please verify in the reception of the hotel the schedule of 
+buses that leave towards the Congress Centre. 
+
+We make available for all the attendees, free access points to high speed 
+Internet located within the Exhibition between the stands. In case you prefer to connect with some own portable device with wireless connectivity, you will have also the possibility since all the facility WIFI connected 
+for free access to the participants. In that case, you will only have to select 
+the option of configuration of DHCP. However, if you have any problem on 
+connectivity the technical personnel will be able to assist you.
+
+We want also to indicate that there will be a room for speakers located in 
+the first floor, Room nş 10, where it will be possible to update your presentation 
+or to use some of the computers available for you. 
+
+Before your session we recommended you to contact with the chair of your 
+session directly or through the Technical Secretariat.  Please indicate to 
+him/her how you want to de introduced and enumerate very briefly the 
+two or three key points of your presentation.
+
+We also remind you some previous information concerning your presentation 
+already sent to you:
+
+    * We recommend a 15 minutes oral presentation to allow some 
+	discussion and Q&A time at the end of the session. To protect 
+	the rights of your other colleague speakers and the rights of the 
+	attendees to listen to all the presentation included on the programme,
+	it would not be possible for any speaker to go beyond 20 minutes. The 
+	chair has received instructions to be very strict on the timing due to the 
+	above reasons. We ask for your kind cooperation on this issue.
+	
+    * The presentation format should be OpenOffice or PDF. Except exceptional 
+	cases, only organization computers or laptops with preloaded presentations 
+	will be used for the presentation at the conference rooms. In case that 
+	you need to modify or update your presentation there will be available working 
+	rooms at the Technical Secretariat or speaker’s room. There will be 
+	also a technical team specialized in Open Source to support you in 
+	case you have additional request at the Trade Fair and Conference 
+	Centre at Malaga. If for exceptional reasons you need to use your 
+	own laptop, please let us know at the Technical Secretariat to make 
+	sure that everything goes smoothly.
+
+We wish you a pleasant trip and look forward to welcome you in 
+Malaga personally. 
+
+Juan Reig
+
+Conference Chairman
+
++34670644131
+chairman@opensourceworldconference.com
+www.opensourceworldconference.com

File planning/sprint-planning.txt

-Author: Beatrice Düring
-20060103
-
-Sprint planning PyPy
-----------------------
-
-January/Palma de Mallorca
---------------------------
-
-Time & location: 23-29th January 2006, CS Dep. of the Palma de 
-Mallorca University/GNU Linux lab.
-
-Nature: open 
-
-Primary organizer: Bea
-
-February/PyCon (USA)
----------------------
-
-Time & location: 27 Feb - 1st March 2006 PyCon 
-(24-26 Feb, 2006 Dallas, Texas,
-
-Nature: postsprint
-
-Primary organizer: Holger and Michael
-
-March/Europe
--------------------
-
-Time & location: Louvain-La-Neuve 6th-10th March
-
-Nature: joint sprint with OZ community and Roel Wuyts/ULB attending. 
-DFKI and Logilab primarily + Samuele, Carl F.
-
-Primary organizer: Nicolas Chauvat
-
-April/Leysin
--------------
-
-Time & location: 3rd to 9th of April, 2006, Leysin, Switzerland
-
-Nature: closed/core
-
-Primary organizer: Armin
-
-April/Tokyo
--------------
-
-Time & location: 23rd to 29th of April, 2006, host: 
-Yutaka Niibe, National Institute of AIST, Japan (FSIJ) 
-Akihabara, Tokyo, venue for 32 people. 
-
-Nature: open, dissemination
-
-Primary organizer: Bea
-
-
-July/Europython
-------------------
-
-Time & location: 3rd-5th of July, 2005, CERN Switzerland
-(sprints at 30th of June-2nd of July and 6th of July to 9th of July)
-
-Nature: presprint/postsprint?
-
-Primary organizer: Michael H, Holger)
-
-August/University of Limerick
--------------------------------
-
-Time & location: 21th to 27th of August, 2006 at University
-of Limerick, Ireland
-
-Nature: open, dissemination (workshop with Calibre?)
-
-Primary organizer: Bea
-
-
-October/?
-----------------------------
-
-November/?
-----------------------------
-
-
-Other general possibilities: 
-Romania, Switzerland (Leysin,Bern), 
-Bristol, Uganda (Nkozi), Bruxelles
+Author: Beatrice Düring
+20060103
+
+Sprint planning PyPy
+----------------------
+
+January/Palma de Mallorca
+--------------------------
+
+Time & location: 23-29th January 2006, CS Dep. of the Palma de 
+Mallorca University/GNU Linux lab.
+
+Nature: open 
+
+Primary organizer: Bea
+
+February/PyCon (USA)
+---------------------
+
+Time & location: 27 Feb - 1st March 2006 PyCon 
+(24-26 Feb, 2006 Dallas, Texas,
+
+Nature: postsprint
+
+Primary organizer: Holger and Michael
+
+March/Europe
+-------------------
+
+Time & location: Louvain-La-Neuve 6th-10th March
+
+Nature: joint sprint with OZ community and Roel Wuyts/ULB attending. 
+DFKI and Logilab primarily + Samuele, Carl F.
+
+Primary organizer: Nicolas Chauvat
+
+April/Leysin
+-------------
+
+Time & location: 3rd to 9th of April, 2006, Leysin, Switzerland
+
+Nature: closed/core
+
+Primary organizer: Armin
+
+April/Tokyo
+-------------
+
+Time & location: 23rd to 29th of April, 2006, host: 
+Yutaka Niibe, National Institute of AIST, Japan (FSIJ) 
+Akihabara, Tokyo, venue for 32 people. 
+
+Nature: open, dissemination
+
+Primary organizer: Bea
+
+
+July/Europython
+------------------
+
+Time & location: 3rd-5th of July, 2005, CERN Switzerland
+(sprints at 30th of June-2nd of July and 6th of July to 9th of July)
+
+Nature: presprint/postsprint?
+
+Primary organizer: Michael H, Holger)
+
+August/University of Limerick
+-------------------------------
+
+Time & location: 21th to 27th of August, 2006 at University
+of Limerick, Ireland
+
+Nature: open, dissemination (workshop with Calibre?)
+
+Primary organizer: Bea
+
+
+October/?
+----------------------------
+
+November/?
+----------------------------
+
+
+Other general possibilities: 
+Romania, Switzerland (Leysin,Bern), 
+Bristol, Uganda (Nkozi), Bruxelles

File pypy.org/revision_march2006.txt

-pypy.org;revision March 2006
---------------------------------
-
-In order to have an external website servicing information in connection 
-to pressreleases and more external newsletter the pypy org page needs updating.
-
-The following changes/adds needs to be done:
-
-- change navigation to links about:
-	Home, News, Consortium, Links, Documentation, Community/Coding
-		- Links being a page with links to sisterprojects, to commission pages etc
-		- Documentation being a page to access published reports, pressreleases, talks, papers, 
-		  diagrams, tutorials, pictures, film?
-		  
-- info regarding industrial impact (why PyPy, gains? what will it provide, which industries/languages
-  do we target - who will have use of PyPy???? This info could be on the main page (HOME)
-	  
-
-Do we want to have a link to universities, conferences and companies we are in touch with/cooperating with?
-Such as UIB, UCD, Iona, x, y, z...
+pypy.org;revision March 2006
+--------------------------------
+
+In order to have an external website servicing information in connection 
+to pressreleases and more external newsletter the pypy org page needs updating.
+
+The following changes/adds needs to be done:
+
+- change navigation to links about:
+	Home, News, Consortium, Links, Documentation, Community/Coding
+		- Links being a page with links to sisterprojects, to commission pages etc
+		- Documentation being a page to access published reports, pressreleases, talks, papers, 
+		  diagrams, tutorials, pictures, film?
+		  
+- info regarding industrial impact (why PyPy, gains? what will it provide, which industries/languages
+  do we target - who will have use of PyPy???? This info could be on the main page (HOME)
+	  
+
+Do we want to have a link to universities, conferences and companies we are in touch with/cooperating with?
+Such as UIB, UCD, Iona, x, y, z...

File sprintinfo/mallorca/sprint-announcement.txt

-Palma de Mallorca  PyPy Sprint: 23rd - 29th January 2006 
-============================================================
-
-The next PyPy sprint is scheduled to take place January 2006 in 
-Palma De Mallorca, Balearic Isles, Spain. We'll give newcomer-friendly
-introductions and the focus will mainly be on current JIT work, garbage
-collection, alternative threading models, logic programming and on
-improving the interface with external functions. To learn more about the
-new Python-in-Python implementation look here: 
-
-    http://codespeak.net/pypy
-
-Goals and topics of the sprint 
-------------------------------
-
-In Gothenburg we have made some first forays into the interesting topics
-of Just-in-Time compilation. In Mallorca we will continue that
-and have the following ideas: 
-
-  - Further work/experimentation toward Just-In-Time Compiler generation, 
-    which was initiated with the Abstract Interpreter started in Gothenburg.
-
-  - Integrating our garbage collection toolkit with the backends and the
-    code generation.
-
-  - Heading into the direction of adding logic programming to PyPy.
-
-  - Optimization work: our threading implementation is still incredibly
-    slow, we need to work on that. Furthermore there are still quite
-    some slow places in the interpreter that could be improved.
-
-  - getting the socket module to a more complete state (it is
-    already improved but still far from complete) 
-
-  - generally improving the way we interface with external functions.
-
-  - whatever participants want to do with PyPy (please send 
-    suggestions to the mailing list before to allow us to plan 
-    and give feedback) 
-
-
-Location & Accomodation  
------------------------- 
-
-The sprint will be held at the Palma University (UIB - Universitat de
-les Illes Balears), in their GNU/Linux lab
-(http://mnm.uib.es/phpwiki/AulaLinux).  We are hosted by the Computer
-Science department and Ricardo Galli is our contact person there,
-helping with arranging facilities.
-
-The University is located 7 km away from the central Palma. Busses to
-the University departs from "Plaza de Espańa" (which is a very central
-location in Palma). Take bus 19 to the UIB campus.  A ticket for one
-urban trip costs 1 euro. You can also buy a card that is valid for 10
-trips and costs 7.51 euros.  Information about bus timetables and routes
-can be found on:
-
-    http://www.a-palma.es
-
-A map over the UIB campus are can be found on:
-
-    http://www.uib.es/imagenes/planoCampus.html
-
-The actual address is: 3r pis de l'Anselm Turmeda which can be found on
-the UIB Campus map.
-
-At "Plaza de Espańa" there is a hostel (Hostal Residencia Terminus)
-which has been recommended to us. It's cheap (ca 50 euros/double room
-with bathroom). Some more links to accomodations (flats, student homes
-and hotels):
-
-http://www.lodging-in-spain.com/hotel/town/Islas_Baleares,Mallorca,Palma_de_Mallorca,1/
-
-http://www.uib.es/fuguib/residencia/english/index.html
-
-http://www.homelidays.com/EN-Holidays-Rental/110_Search/SearchList.asp?DESTINATION=Palma%20de%20Mallorca&ADR_PAYS=ES&ADR_
-LOCALISATION=ES%20ISLASBALEARES%20MALLORCA
-
-If you want to find a given street, you can search here:
-
-    http://www.callejeando.com/Pueblos/pueblo7_1.htm
-
-To get to Palma De Mallorca almost all low fare airlines and travel
-agencies have cheap tickets to get there. Information about Mallorca and
-Palma (maps, tourist information, local transports, recommended air
-lines, ferries and much more) can be found on:
-
-    http://www.palmademallorca.es/portalPalma/home.jsp
-
-Comments on the weather: In January it is cold and wet on Mallorca
-
-Average temperature: 8,4 degrees Celsius
-Lowest temperature: 2 degrees Celsius
-Highest temperature: 14,5 degrees Celsius
-Average humidity rate: 77,6 %
-
-So more time for coding and less time for sunbathing and beaches ;-)
-
-Exact times 
------------
-
-The public PyPy sprint is held Monday 23rd - Sunday 29th January 2006.
-Hours will be from 10:00 until people have had enough.  It's a good idea
-to arrive a day before the sprint starts and leave a day later.  In the
-middle of the sprint there usually is a break day and it's usually ok to
-take half-days off if you feel like it.
-
-For this particular break day, Thursday, we are invited to the studio of
-Ginés Quińonero, a local artist and painter. Ginés have also been the
-person helping us getting connections to UIB and providing much
-appreciated help regarding accommodation and other logistical
-information. 
-
-For those of you interested - here is his website where there also are
-paintings showing his studio:
-
-    http://www.hermetex4.com/damnans/
-
-Here is a description on how to get to Ginés studio:
-
-http://www.maporama.com/affiliates/popup/share/iti.asp?ItineraryID=F32E624F
--BFB1-4751-A5D3-5EA4DBDC9C9B&language=en&NbStep=0&SESSIONID={CD058830-6B8B-4
-142-887F-94C01253E33C}
-
-For those interested in playing collectable card games, this will also
-be an opportunity to get aquainted with V:TES which will be demoed by
-Ginés and Beatrice Düring. For more information on this
-cardgame - see: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php.  (The Mallorca
-sprint was organized through contacts within the V:TES community).
-
-Network, Food, currency 
------------------------- 
-
-Currency is Euro.
-
-Food is available in the UIB Campus area as well as cheap restaurants in
-Palma.
-
-You normally need a wireless network card to access the network, but we
-can provide a wireless/ethernet bridge.
-
-230V AC plugs are used in Mallorca.
-
-Registration etc.pp. 
--------------------- 
-
-Please subscribe to the `PyPy sprint mailing list`_, introduce yourself
-and post a note that you want to come.  Feel free to ask any questions
-there!  There also is a separate `Mallorca people`_ page tracking who is
-already thought to come.  If you have commit rights on codespeak then
-you can modify yourself a checkout of
-
-  http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/mallorca/people.txt
-
-.. _`PyPy sprint mailing list`: http://codespeak.net/mailman/listinfo/pypy-sprint
-.. _`Mallorca people`: http://codespeak.net/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/mallorca/people.html
+Palma de Mallorca  PyPy Sprint: 23rd - 29th January 2006 
+============================================================
+
+The next PyPy sprint is scheduled to take place January 2006 in 
+Palma De Mallorca, Balearic Isles, Spain. We'll give newcomer-friendly
+introductions and the focus will mainly be on current JIT work, garbage
+collection, alternative threading models, logic programming and on
+improving the interface with external functions. To learn more about the
+new Python-in-Python implementation look here: 
+
+    http://codespeak.net/pypy
+
+Goals and topics of the sprint 
+------------------------------
+
+In Gothenburg we have made some first forays into the interesting topics
+of Just-in-Time compilation. In Mallorca we will continue that
+and have the following ideas: 
+
+  - Further work/experimentation toward Just-In-Time Compiler generation, 
+    which was initiated with the Abstract Interpreter started in Gothenburg.
+
+  - Integrating our garbage collection toolkit with the backends and the
+    code generation.
+
+  - Heading into the direction of adding logic programming to PyPy.
+
+  - Optimization work: our threading implementation is still incredibly
+    slow, we need to work on that. Furthermore there are still quite
+    some slow places in the interpreter that could be improved.
+
+  - getting the socket module to a more complete state (it is
+    already improved but still far from complete) 
+
+  - generally improving the way we interface with external functions.
+
+  - whatever participants want to do with PyPy (please send 
+    suggestions to the mailing list before to allow us to plan 
+    and give feedback) 
+
+
+Location & Accomodation  
+------------------------ 
+
+The sprint will be held at the Palma University (UIB - Universitat de
+les Illes Balears), in their GNU/Linux lab
+(http://mnm.uib.es/phpwiki/AulaLinux).  We are hosted by the Computer
+Science department and Ricardo Galli is our contact person there,
+helping with arranging facilities.
+
+The University is located 7 km away from the central Palma. Busses to
+the University departs from "Plaza de Espańa" (which is a very central
+location in Palma). Take bus 19 to the UIB campus.  A ticket for one
+urban trip costs 1 euro. You can also buy a card that is valid for 10
+trips and costs 7.51 euros.  Information about bus timetables and routes
+can be found on:
+
+    http://www.a-palma.es
+
+A map over the UIB campus are can be found on:
+
+    http://www.uib.es/imagenes/planoCampus.html
+
+The actual address is: 3r pis de l'Anselm Turmeda which can be found on
+the UIB Campus map.
+
+At "Plaza de Espańa" there is a hostel (Hostal Residencia Terminus)
+which has been recommended to us. It's cheap (ca 50 euros/double room
+with bathroom). Some more links to accomodations (flats, student homes
+and hotels):
+
+http://www.lodging-in-spain.com/hotel/town/Islas_Baleares,Mallorca,Palma_de_Mallorca,1/
+
+http://www.uib.es/fuguib/residencia/english/index.html
+
+http://www.homelidays.com/EN-Holidays-Rental/110_Search/SearchList.asp?DESTINATION=Palma%20de%20Mallorca&ADR_PAYS=ES&ADR_
+LOCALISATION=ES%20ISLASBALEARES%20MALLORCA
+
+If you want to find a given street, you can search here:
+
+    http://www.callejeando.com/Pueblos/pueblo7_1.htm
+
+To get to Palma De Mallorca almost all low fare airlines and travel
+agencies have cheap tickets to get there. Information about Mallorca and
+Palma (maps, tourist information, local transports, recommended air
+lines, ferries and much more) can be found on:
+
+    http://www.palmademallorca.es/portalPalma/home.jsp
+
+Comments on the weather: In January it is cold and wet on Mallorca
+
+Average temperature: 8,4 degrees Celsius
+Lowest temperature: 2 degrees Celsius
+Highest temperature: 14,5 degrees Celsius
+Average humidity rate: 77,6 %
+
+So more time for coding and less time for sunbathing and beaches ;-)
+
+Exact times 
+-----------
+
+The public PyPy sprint is held Monday 23rd - Sunday 29th January 2006.
+Hours will be from 10:00 until people have had enough.  It's a good idea
+to arrive a day before the sprint starts and leave a day later.  In the
+middle of the sprint there usually is a break day and it's usually ok to
+take half-days off if you feel like it.
+
+For this particular break day, Thursday, we are invited to the studio of
+Ginés Quińonero, a local artist and painter. Ginés have also been the
+person helping us getting connections to UIB and providing much
+appreciated help regarding accommodation and other logistical
+information. 
+
+For those of you interested - here is his website where there also are
+paintings showing his studio:
+
+    http://www.hermetex4.com/damnans/
+
+Here is a description on how to get to Ginés studio:
+
+http://www.maporama.com/affiliates/popup/share/iti.asp?ItineraryID=F32E624F
+-BFB1-4751-A5D3-5EA4DBDC9C9B&language=en&NbStep=0&SESSIONID={CD058830-6B8B-4
+142-887F-94C01253E33C}
+
+For those interested in playing collectable card games, this will also
+be an opportunity to get aquainted with V:TES which will be demoed by
+Ginés and Beatrice Düring. For more information on this
+cardgame - see: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php.  (The Mallorca
+sprint was organized through contacts within the V:TES community).
+
+Network, Food, currency 
+------------------------ 
+
+Currency is Euro.
+
+Food is available in the UIB Campus area as well as cheap restaurants in
+Palma.
+
+You normally need a wireless network card to access the network, but we
+can provide a wireless/ethernet bridge.
+
+230V AC plugs are used in Mallorca.
+
+Registration etc.pp. 
+-------------------- 
+
+Please subscribe to the `PyPy sprint mailing list`_, introduce yourself
+and post a note that you want to come.  Feel free to ask any questions
+there!  There also is a separate `Mallorca people`_ page tracking who is
+already thought to come.  If you have commit rights on codespeak then
+you can modify yourself a checkout of
+
+  http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/mallorca/people.txt
+
+.. _`PyPy sprint mailing list`: http://codespeak.net/mailman/listinfo/pypy-sprint
+.. _`Mallorca people`: http://codespeak.net/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/mallorca/people.html

File sprintinfo/paris/paris-report.txt

-Paris sprint report 2005-10-10-2005-10-16
-Authors: Michael Hudson, Carl Friedrich Bolz, Armin Rigo
-
-Participants:
-
-Ludovic Aubry        
-Adrien Di Mascio     
-Jacob Hallen          
-Laura Creighton      
-Beatrice Duering      
-Armin Rigo            
-Samuele Pedroni       
-Anders Chrigstroem    
-Holger Krekel          
-Lene Wagner           
-Michael Hudson        
-Carl Friedrich Bolz  
-Bert Freudenberg     
-Anders Lehmann       
-Boris Feigin	     
-Amaury Forgeot d'Arc 
-Andrew Thompson      
-Christian Tismer     
-Valentino Volonghi   
-Aurelien Campeas
-Stephan Busemann
-Nicholas Chauvat
-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
-The largest PyPy sprint yet (in terms of attendants) where done in the offices of Logilab in Paris 
-2005-10-16-2005-10-16.
-
-Possible task on the sprint was:
-
-RTyper tasks:
-- fixed size lists
-- poor-man type erasure for rlist and rdict
-
-- rtyping of classes/instances/methods for target languages with direct/prevalent OO/class support:
-  devise a low-level model variation for this case
-
-Annotator related tasks:
-
-- support the notion of separate/external functions (and classes/PBCs)
-  in preparation for separate compilations
-
-JIT related work:
-- (DONE) support addresses in the backends
-- an ll interpreter written in RPython
-- Saving ll graphs plus a loader written in RPython
-
-- Start thinking/experimenting with JIT generation at translation time
-
-- (DONE the starting) start a genasm back-end
-
-Threading/concurrency:
-- release the GIL around system calls
-- understand and possibly fix where the overhead, when threads are enabled, comes from
-
-- (DONE) generating (single-threaded) stackless C code
-
-Implementation/translation:
-- (somewhat DONE) stack overflow detection (needed to be able to run many compliancy tests)
-- try more interp. level optimisations (dicts with string keys, more agressive use of fastcall*...)
-
-- compute correct max stack size in compiler (?)
-- cleanup our multiple compiler situation: remove
-  testcompiler, fix the tests to work on CPython 2.3 too,
-  decide what to put in lib-python/modified-2.4.1/compiler --
-  stablecompiler or astcompiler? -- and submit it back to
-  CPython.  Clean up pyparser/pythonutil.py.
-
-- (socket module, PEP302)
-
-GC related tasks:
-- look into implementing weakrefs
-- Boehm: fix the x=range(10**7) issue
-- (improve refcounting)
-- (passes toward integrating other GCs, rpython/memory)
-
-Refactorings/cleanups:
-- cbuild/translator.Translator (use SCons?, use/generalize TranslationDriver)
-- PyPy option handling unification, passing py.py options to targetpypy*
-- inline (transforms in general) 
-
-- (DONE) genc: producing multiple .h/.c files tracking Python code origin
-
-Larger whole projects:
-
-- Javascript frontend
-- support for developing C extensions for CPython with RPython code
-- writing a sort of flow object space for the llinterpreter
-  to experiment with JIT work
-
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
-Activities during the sprint  - day-to-day:
-
-Monday-Wednesday:
-The morning (once everyone had found their way/fought with the
-metro/...) began with a tutorial for the newcomers and two discussion
-groups -- one on implementing stackless-like functionality and one
-titled "towards a translatable llinterpreter".
-
-After lunch, everyone met to hear the results of the discussion groups
-and decide what to do next.  The stackless group's conclusion was
-"it'll be easy!" :) The llinterp group concluded "it might be doable".
-More details can be found in svn at
-
-http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/paris-2005-stackless-discussion.txt
-http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/paris/tllinterpreter_planning.txt
-
-(consistency?  We're researchers!)
-
-Christian (he didn't get a choice), Valentino, Anders (L), Adrien,
-Armin and Amaury became the stackless working group and by Tuesday
-lunchtime had progressed via an unlikely sounding six-person-pair
-programming methodology involving a beamer to a fully stackless C
-translation, albeit with limited functionality visible even to
-RPython.
-
-Samuele, Bert, Arre, Aurelien, and Boris became what was ultimately
-known as the 'ootype group' working on a variation of the rtyper more
-suited to translation to a language with a richer type system than C
-(classes, lists, some vague notion of type safety, etc) such as Java,
-Smalltalk, ...
-
-Michael and Andrew worked on a backend that emits machine code -- in
-particular ppc32 machine code -- directly.  By the end of Monday a toy
-function doing some simple integer calculations had been translated
-but on Tuesday restructuring towards re-use (and comprehensibility)
-became the main goal.  Oh, and not assuming an infinite supply of
-registers...
-
-Carl and Holger started implementing Addresses in the C backend to
-prepare for the coming llinterpreter work, finishing on Monday
-evening.  Carl then worked on data structures needed for a
-translatable llinterpreter.
-
-Thursday:
-Consortium meeting + breakday
-
-Friday-Sunday:
-The stackless group reported good progress, having compiled a working
-pypy-c with stackless support and implemented stack overflow detection
-for non-stackless builds.  Unfortunately for the stackless builds,
-several CPOython tests expect infinite recursion to result in an error
--- and do so fairly quickly, i.e. in less time than it takes to fill
-the entire heap with stack frames.  This groups work is basically
-done for this sprint, although Anders and Christian are going to work
-on compliancy testing with the new pypy-c.  While waiting for builds
-targeting compliancy tests, they are also going to investigate
-reorganizing code generation to improve locality.
-
-The ootype group is also progressing well.  The RTyper has mostly been
-refactored to be independent of the targeted type system and work is
-continuing on implementing the new OOType type system alongside the
-existing LLType target.  This group will be continuing, although with
-somehwat different membership -- Michael joining and half of each of
-Samuele and Arre leaving.
-
-Michael and Andrews work on the PPC backend has progressed to the
-point where essentially any function that only manipulates integers
-can be translated (with an exceedingly stupid register allocator).
-Further work depends to a large extent on the llinterpreter work (see
-below) so this work will wait until after the sprint.  Andrew is
-moving to work on implementing a Numeric-a-like for PyPy, together
-with Ludovic.
-
-The LLInterpreter grouplette (Carl and 0.5 Armins and a little Holger)
-did not produce much code since there are many decisions to be made
-and the implications of these decisions are not understood.  A
-discussion group of Carl, Armin, Samuele, Holger, Christian and Arre
-will try to shine lights into these shadows, and report after lunch.
-
-Valentino and Amaury are going to implement the socket module.  This
-is a step towards allowing Valentino to run Twisted on PyPy and thus
-make him very happy.
-
-This sprint is working in quite a different way to previous sprints --
-there is lots of discussion which isnt new, but the farming off of
-discussion to groups of 5-6 people who present a report to the larger
-group is a novelty and seems to be working well (15+ people is too
-many for a focussed technical discussion).  Another difference is a
-less strict emphasis on "pair" programming -- or, if you like, we are
-still pair programming but we have redefined "pair" to mean a group of
-two to six programmers :)
-
-On Friday morning another discussion group was founded and discussed -
-again - the state and future of the l3interpreter (l3 = lll = low low
-level), that is the translatable llinterpreter. The results were
-presented after lunch, together with some ideas about the JIT.
-Afterwards Carl gave a short talk on the results of his summer of code
-project on writing garbage collectors in RPython.
-
-Boris, Michael, Bert with help from Samuele spent the whole rest of the
-sprint working on the many open issues related to ootyping. Simple
-programs can now be ootyped, including inheritance, methods, instance
-attributes and right at the end some support for prebuilt instances. In
-addition they extended the llinterpreter to understand the ootype
-operations as well (we were worried that our names were starting to make
-sense).
-
-Armin spent the last days fixing different cases that crashed pypy-c
-which he found by running the CPython compliancy tests. In addition he
-helped various people to find their way around the codebase.
-
-Adrien and Arre worked on fixing compiler and parser issues that led to
-wrong line numbers and different issues that popped up.
-
-Ludovic and Adrien experimented with rewriting parts of the Numeric
-package in RPython.
-
-Valentino and Amaury continued on implementing the socket module which
-turned out (as expected) to be a platform dependent nightmare. They have
-a kind of complete socket module now, but some functions cannot yet be
-translated.
-
-Christian worked on an experiment to reorder functions in the created C
-code to improve code locality.
-
-Finally, after a week of srapped attemps, much headscratching and heated
-discussion there was some code written for the l3interpreter. On
-Saturday afternoon Holger and Carl wrote the basic model and managed to
-interpret interesting functions like x + 4. On Sunday Samuele and Carl
-continued and started on a graph converter that takes ll graphs and
-transforms into the form the l3interpreter expects.
-
-On Saturday afternoon there was a planning meeting where the actions of
-the following weeks were discussed. The EU-report writing was
-distributed to the different consortium members.
-Furthermore we discussed the various conference and sprints planned for autumn 2005
-and spring 2006.
-
-All in all it was a very productive sprint but of course we all have to
-recover for two weeks now.
-
+Paris sprint report 2005-10-10-2005-10-16
+Authors: Michael Hudson, Carl Friedrich Bolz, Armin Rigo
+
+Participants:
+
+Ludovic Aubry        
+Adrien Di Mascio     
+Jacob Hallen          
+Laura Creighton      
+Beatrice Duering      
+Armin Rigo            
+Samuele Pedroni       
+Anders Chrigstroem    
+Holger Krekel          
+Lene Wagner           
+Michael Hudson        
+Carl Friedrich Bolz  
+Bert Freudenberg     
+Anders Lehmann       
+Boris Feigin	     
+Amaury Forgeot d'Arc 
+Andrew Thompson      
+Christian Tismer     
+Valentino Volonghi   
+Aurelien Campeas
+Stephan Busemann
+Nicholas Chauvat
+
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+
+The largest PyPy sprint yet (in terms of attendants) where done in the offices of Logilab in Paris 
+2005-10-16-2005-10-16.
+
+Possible task on the sprint was:
+
+RTyper tasks:
+- fixed size lists
+- poor-man type erasure for rlist and rdict
+
+- rtyping of classes/instances/methods for target languages with direct/prevalent OO/class support:
+  devise a low-level model variation for this case
+
+Annotator related tasks:
+
+- support the notion of separate/external functions (and classes/PBCs)
+  in preparation for separate compilations
+
+JIT related work:
+- (DONE) support addresses in the backends
+- an ll interpreter written in RPython
+- Saving ll graphs plus a loader written in RPython
+
+- Start thinking/experimenting with JIT generation at translation time
+
+- (DONE the starting) start a genasm back-end
+
+Threading/concurrency:
+- release the GIL around system calls
+- understand and possibly fix where the overhead, when threads are enabled, comes from
+
+- (DONE) generating (single-threaded) stackless C code
+
+Implementation/translation:
+- (somewhat DONE) stack overflow detection (needed to be able to run many compliancy tests)
+- try more interp. level optimisations (dicts with string keys, more agressive use of fastcall*...)
+
+- compute correct max stack size in compiler (?)
+- cleanup our multiple compiler situation: remove
+  testcompiler, fix the tests to work on CPython 2.3 too,
+  decide what to put in lib-python/modified-2.4.1/compiler --
+  stablecompiler or astcompiler? -- and submit it back to
+  CPython.  Clean up pyparser/pythonutil.py.
+
+- (socket module, PEP302)
+
+GC related tasks:
+- look into implementing weakrefs
+- Boehm: fix the x=range(10**7) issue
+- (improve refcounting)
+- (passes toward integrating other GCs, rpython/memory)
+
+Refactorings/cleanups:
+- cbuild/translator.Translator (use SCons?, use/generalize TranslationDriver)
+- PyPy option handling unification, passing py.py options to targetpypy*
+- inline (transforms in general) 
+
+- (DONE) genc: producing multiple .h/.c files tracking Python code origin
+
+Larger whole projects:
+
+- Javascript frontend
+- support for developing C extensions for CPython with RPython code
+- writing a sort of flow object space for the llinterpreter
+  to experiment with JIT work
+
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+
+Activities during the sprint  - day-to-day:
+
+Monday-Wednesday:
+The morning (once everyone had found their way/fought with the
+metro/...) began with a tutorial for the newcomers and two discussion
+groups -- one on implementing stackless-like functionality and one
+titled "towards a translatable llinterpreter".
+
+After lunch, everyone met to hear the results of the discussion groups
+and decide what to do next.  The stackless group's conclusion was
+"it'll be easy!" :) The llinterp group concluded "it might be doable".
+More details can be found in svn at
+
+http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/paris-2005-stackless-discussion.txt
+http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/paris/tllinterpreter_planning.txt
+
+(consistency?  We're researchers!)
+
+Christian (he didn't get a choice), Valentino, Anders (L), Adrien,
+Armin and Amaury became the stackless working group and by Tuesday
+lunchtime had progressed via an unlikely sounding six-person-pair
+programming methodology involving a beamer to a fully stackless C
+translation, albeit with limited functionality visible even to
+RPython.
+
+Samuele, Bert, Arre, Aurelien, and Boris became what was ultimately
+known as the 'ootype group' working on a variation of the rtyper more
+suited to translation to a language with a richer type system than C
+(classes, lists, some vague notion of type safety, etc) such as Java,
+Smalltalk, ...
+
+Michael and Andrew worked on a backend that emits machine code -- in
+particular ppc32 machine code -- directly.  By the end of Monday a toy
+function doing some simple integer calculations had been translated
+but on Tuesday restructuring towards re-use (and comprehensibility)
+became the main goal.  Oh, and not assuming an infinite supply of
+registers...
+
+Carl and Holger started implementing Addresses in the C backend to
+prepare for the coming llinterpreter work, finishing on Monday
+evening.  Carl then worked on data structures needed for a
+translatable llinterpreter.
+
+Thursday:
+Consortium meeting + breakday
+
+Friday-Sunday:
+The stackless group reported good progress, having compiled a working
+pypy-c with stackless support and implemented stack overflow detection
+for non-stackless builds.  Unfortunately for the stackless builds,
+several CPOython tests expect infinite recursion to result in an error
+-- and do so fairly quickly, i.e. in less time than it takes to fill
+the entire heap with stack frames.  This groups work is basically
+done for this sprint, although Anders and Christian are going to work
+on compliancy testing with the new pypy-c.  While waiting for builds
+targeting compliancy tests, they are also going to investigate
+reorganizing code generation to improve locality.
+
+The ootype group is also progressing well.  The RTyper has mostly been
+refactored to be independent of the targeted type system and work is
+continuing on implementing the new OOType type system alongside the
+existing LLType target.  This group will be continuing, although with
+somehwat different membership -- Michael joining and half of each of
+Samuele and Arre leaving.
+
+Michael and Andrews work on the PPC backend has progressed to the
+point where essentially any function that only manipulates integers
+can be translated (with an exceedingly stupid register allocator).
+Further work depends to a large extent on the llinterpreter work (see
+below) so this work will wait until after the sprint.  Andrew is
+moving to work on implementing a Numeric-a-like for PyPy, together
+with Ludovic.
+
+The LLInterpreter grouplette (Carl and 0.5 Armins and a little Holger)
+did not produce much code since there are many decisions to be made
+and the implications of these decisions are not understood.  A
+discussion group of Carl, Armin, Samuele, Holger, Christian and Arre
+will try to shine lights into these shadows, and report after lunch.
+
+Valentino and Amaury are going to implement the socket module.  This
+is a step towards allowing Valentino to run Twisted on PyPy and thus
+make him very happy.
+
+This sprint is working in quite a different way to previous sprints --
+there is lots of discussion which isnt new, but the farming off of
+discussion to groups of 5-6 people who present a report to the larger
+group is a novelty and seems to be working well (15+ people is too
+many for a focussed technical discussion).  Another difference is a
+less strict emphasis on "pair" programming -- or, if you like, we are
+still pair programming but we have redefined "pair" to mean a group of
+two to six programmers :)
+
+On Friday morning another discussion group was founded and discussed -
+again - the state and future of the l3interpreter (l3 = lll = low low
+level), that is the translatable llinterpreter. The results were
+presented after lunch, together with some ideas about the JIT.
+Afterwards Carl gave a short talk on the results of his summer of code
+project on writing garbage collectors in RPython.
+
+Boris, Michael, Bert with help from Samuele spent the whole rest of the
+sprint working on the many open issues related to ootyping. Simple
+programs can now be ootyped, including inheritance, methods, instance
+attributes and right at the end some support for prebuilt instances. In
+addition they extended the llinterpreter to understand the ootype
+operations as well (we were worried that our names were starting to make
+sense).
+
+Armin spent the last days fixing different cases that crashed pypy-c
+which he found by running the CPython compliancy tests. In addition he
+helped various people to find their way around the codebase.
+
+Adrien and Arre worked on fixing compiler and parser issues that led to
+wrong line numbers and different issues that popped up.
+
+Ludovic and Adrien experimented with rewriting parts of the Numeric
+package in RPython.
+
+Valentino and Amaury continued on implementing the socket module which
+turned out (as expected) to be a platform dependent nightmare. They have
+a kind of complete socket module now, but some functions cannot yet be
+translated.
+
+Christian worked on an experiment to reorder functions in the created C
+code to improve code locality.
+
+Finally, after a week of srapped attemps, much headscratching and heated
+discussion there was some code written for the l3interpreter. On
+Saturday afternoon Holger and Carl wrote the basic model and managed to
+interpret interesting functions like x + 4. On Sunday Samuele and Carl
+continued and started on a graph converter that takes ll graphs and
+transforms into the form the l3interpreter expects.
+
+On Saturday afternoon there was a planning meeting where the actions of
+the following weeks were discussed. The EU-report writing was
+distributed to the different consortium members.
+Furthermore we discussed the various conference and sprints planned for autumn 2005
+and spring 2006.
+
+All in all it was a very productive sprint but of course we all have to
+recover for two weeks now.
+

File talk/pycon2006/method_talk.txt

-============================================================
-Agile Open-Source Methods, Businesses and EU-funding 
-============================================================
-
-:Authors: Bea During (Change Maker), Holger Krekel (merlinux) 
-:Date: 26th February 2006, PyCon, Dallas
-
-
-What is PyPy? 
-==================================================
-
-- Next generation Python implementation 
-- Grass-root open source effort 
-- A partially funded research project 
-- Technical aims: flexibility and speed 
-- Method aims: evolve sprint-driven development 
-
-Bootstrapping PyPy (2003) 
-==================================================
-
-- Initial sprint with Armin Rigo, Christian Tismer,
-  Holger Krekel, Michael Hudson and then Samuele Pedroni ... 
-- Driven by psyco/stackless experiences 
-- "Minimal Python" inital project name 
-- Focus on correctness of concepts, then speed
-
-PyPy test-driven development 
-==================================================
-
-- Identify problems/evolution by tests first 
-- Our own testing and development tools (py.test)
-- Rule: first get the semantics and concepts right! 
-  optimize later!
-- Today around 3000 tests (plus CPython regression tests)
-
-PyPy is (not) a funded EU project 
-==================================================
-
-- PyPy wasn't a funded project 
-- PyPy isn't a funded project
-- PyPy is a funded project 
-- Conclusion: it's more complicated
-
-EU project consortium 
-============================================================
-
-- AB Strakt (Sweden) 
-- merlinux (Germany)
-- Change Maker (Sweden)
-- Heinrich Heine University (Germany) 
-- DFKI (Germany)
-- Tismerysoft (Germany)
-- Logilab (France) 
-- Impara (Germany) 
-
-EU contractual work structure 
-===================================================
-
-- "Description of Work" for two years
-- 14 workpackages and 58 deliverables, 3 phases 
-- Sprints every 6th week (coordinating development and management work)
-- EU project aspects enforced mid-term/long-term focus
-- not a usual open-source approach 
-- **good and bad**
-
-Balance of interests 
-==================================================
-
-- PyPy was first and still is a network of people
-- ...but EU only funds organisations 
-- Developers drive the technical project
-- Companies co-finance 50% of all costs 
-- EU wants challenging research goals and tracking of goals 
-- **it is all about finding 
-  good models for co-operation**
-
-Current developer work structure 
-==================================================
-
-- Weekly 30 minute synchronisation meetings 
-- Open collaborative open-source work style 
-- Representation through Trusted "Technical Board" 
-  within the EU project 
-- Research/architecture informally guided by accepted experts 
-
-.. Bea
-
-
-Agile practises: the people factor
-============================================================
-
-- "Agile processes are designed to capitalize on each
-  individual and each team's unique strenghts" (Cockburn, Highsmith, 2001)
-- OSS nature of teams: self-organized, intensely 
-  collaborative - fit the agile approach
-- OSS teams are an unique implementation of agile practices - why?
-
-
-Origins of sprinting
-============================================================
-
-- Scrum (Agile community): 1 month long iteration of
-  development work, increments (also supporting activities:
-  planning, documentation, tracking work, evaluation)
-
-- Zope Foundation (Python Community): "two-day or three-day
-  focused development session, in which developers pair off
-  together in a room and focus on building a particular
-  subsystem".    
-
-Sprinting the PyPy way 
-============================================================
-
-- First-contact sprints e.g. around conferences 
-- Core sprints for reaching milestones, releases
-- 7 days with 1 break day, every 6th week 
-- Typical activities: daily planning/status meetings, 
-  closure meetings, sprint reports, pair-group programming, 
-  tutorials, EU consortium issues 
-- Rotating moderation/organisation
-
-Sprints facilitate participation 
-============================================================
-
-.. image:: subscribers.png 
-   :scale: 60
-
-..
-
-Managing diversities 
-============================================================
-
-- Developer driven process and formal project organization
-      - management team, technical board and partners
-      - sprint organising
-      - planning and focusing on technical tasks 
-- Constant risk of added workload of management
-  work on core developers 
-
-More managing diversities 
-============================================================
-
-- Agile strategies and Formal EU requirements 
-      - written high level requirements
-      - change control structures complicated
-- Constant risk of missing opportunities and not
-  creating/reacting to change fast enough
-
-Even more diversities ... 
-============================================================
-
-- OSS community and hierarchies for "conceptual integrity"
-      - pypy-dev/core developers in technical board
-      - industrial usage vs research oriented work
-- Risk for unbalancing the community
-
-Hitchikers guide ... 
-============================================================
-
-.. image:: manmoon.png 
-
-Learnings 
-============================================================
-
-- Share a challenging vision!
-- Respect and utilize strengths of different cultures and
-  people involved
-- Design minimalistic project structures
-- Learn as a group and create changes, not just react to change
-
-Outlook on whole project level 
-==============================
-
-- EU project to finish November 2006 
-- Improve interactions with community & contribution
-- Exploring Commercial opportunities ... hiring opportunities ... 
-- Taking care about post-EU development (2007++)
-- Sprints: Lovain La Neuve, Tokyo, EuroPython, Ireland 
-- http://codespeak.net/pypy  and http://pypy.org
-
-
-.. |bullet| unicode:: U+02022
-.. footer:: Bea During, Holger Krekel |bullet| PyCon |bullet| 26th February 2006 
-
+============================================================
+Agile Open-Source Methods, Businesses and EU-funding 
+============================================================
+
+:Authors: Bea During (Change Maker), Holger Krekel (merlinux) 
+:Date: 26th February 2006, PyCon, Dallas
+
+
+What is PyPy? 
+==================================================
+
+- Next generation Python implementation 
+- Grass-root open source effort 
+- A partially funded research project 
+- Technical aims: flexibility and speed 
+- Method aims: evolve sprint-driven development 
+
+Bootstrapping PyPy (2003) 
+==================================================
+
+- Initial sprint with Armin Rigo, Christian Tismer,
+  Holger Krekel, Michael Hudson and then Samuele Pedroni ... 
+- Driven by psyco/stackless experiences 
+- "Minimal Python" inital project name 
+- Focus on correctness of concepts, then speed
+
+PyPy test-driven development 
+==================================================
+
+- Identify problems/evolution by tests first 
+- Our own testing and development tools (py.test)
+- Rule: first get the semantics and concepts right! 
+  optimize later!
+- Today around 3000 tests (plus CPython regression tests)
+
+PyPy is (not) a funded EU project 
+==================================================
+
+- PyPy wasn't a funded project 
+- PyPy isn't a funded project
+- PyPy is a funded project 
+- Conclusion: it's more complicated
+
+EU project consortium 
+============================================================
+
+- AB Strakt (Sweden) 
+- merlinux (Germany)
+- Change Maker (Sweden)
+- Heinrich Heine University (Germany) 
+- DFKI (Germany)
+- Tismerysoft (Germany)
+- Logilab (France) 
+- Impara (Germany) 
+
+EU contractual work structure 
+===================================================
+
+- "Description of Work" for two years
+- 14 workpackages and 58 deliverables, 3 phases 
+- Sprints every 6th week (coordinating development and management work)
+- EU project aspects enforced mid-term/long-term focus
+- not a usual open-source approach 
+- **good and bad**
+
+Balance of interests 
+==================================================
+
+- PyPy was first and still is a network of people
+- ...but EU only funds organisations 
+- Developers drive the technical project
+- Companies co-finance 50% of all costs 
+- EU wants challenging research goals and tracking of goals 
+- **it is all about finding 
+  good models for co-operation**
+
+Current developer work structure 
+==================================================
+
+- Weekly 30 minute synchronisation meetings 
+- Open collaborative open-source work style 
+- Representation through Trusted "Technical Board" 
+  within the EU project 
+- Research/architecture informally guided by accepted experts 
+
+.. Bea
+
+
+Agile practises: the people factor
+============================================================
+
+- "Agile processes are designed to capitalize on each
+  individual and each team's unique strenghts" (Cockburn, Highsmith, 2001)
+- OSS nature of teams: self-organized, intensely 
+  collaborative - fit the agile approach
+- OSS teams are an unique implementation of agile practices - why?
+
+
+Origins of sprinting
+============================================================
+
+- Scrum (Agile community): 1 month long iteration of
+  development work, increments (also supporting activities:
+  planning, documentation, tracking work, evaluation)
+
+- Zope Foundation (Python Community): "two-day or three-day
+  focused development session, in which developers pair off
+  together in a room and focus on building a particular
+  subsystem".    
+
+Sprinting the PyPy way 
+============================================================
+
+- First-contact sprints e.g. around conferences 
+- Core sprints for reaching milestones, releases
+- 7 days with 1 break day, every 6th week 
+- Typical activities: daily planning/status meetings, 
+  closure meetings, sprint reports, pair-group programming, 
+  tutorials, EU consortium issues 
+- Rotating moderation/organisation
+
+Sprints facilitate participation 
+============================================================
+
+.. image:: subscribers.png 
+   :scale: 60
+
+..
+
+Managing diversities 
+============================================================
+
+- Developer driven process and formal project organization
+      - management team, technical board and partners
+      - sprint organising
+      - planning and focusing on technical tasks 
+- Constant risk of added workload of management
+  work on core developers 
+
+More managing diversities 
+============================================================
+
+- Agile strategies and Formal EU requirements 
+      - written high level requirements
+      - change control structures complicated
+- Constant risk of missing opportunities and not
+  creating/reacting to change fast enough
+
+Even more diversities ... 
+============================================================
+
+- OSS community and hierarchies for "conceptual integrity"
+      - pypy-dev/core developers in technical board
+      - industrial usage vs research oriented work
+- Risk for unbalancing the community
+
+Hitchikers guide ... 
+============================================================
+
+.. image:: manmoon.png 
+
+Learnings 
+============================================================
+
+- Share a challenging vision!
+- Respect and utilize strengths of different cultures and
+  people involved
+- Design minimalistic project structures
+- Learn as a group and create changes, not just react to change
+
+Outlook on whole project level 
+==============================
+
+- EU project to finish November 2006 
+- Improve interactions with community & contribution
+- Exploring Commercial opportunities ... hiring opportunities ... 
+- Taking care about post-EU development (2007++)
+- Sprints: Lovain La Neuve, Tokyo, EuroPython, Ireland 
+- http://codespeak.net/pypy  and http://pypy.org
+
+
+.. |bullet| unicode:: U+02022
+.. footer:: Bea During, Holger Krekel |bullet| PyCon |bullet| 26th February 2006 
+

File talk/pypy_euworkshop_2005-12-08/holger_part2_OSSdev.txt

-SEMINAR
-Best Practice in the Use and Development of Free and Open Source Software
-3. Case study:
-
-Part 2/Holger:
-
-Slides:
-
-
-1. personal background 
-
-   - worked in gaming companies, banks and car companies for
-     several years
-   - studied computer science 
-   - left well paid job and went into open-source scenes (2001)
-   - various project involvements, started PyPy 2003 by
-     inviting people to the first "sprint"
-
-2. What makes Open Source communities like Python work: the people factor
-
-	- collaborative - driven by interest 
-	- communication - quite transparent to everyone involved 
-	- email / IRC / version-control 
-	- organization - rather informal 
-
-3. technical production factors 
-
-- automated test driven development
-- specific expertise/special interest 
-- version control (Subversion)
-- releases
-
-4. Typical aspects of the Python community?
-
-	- lively community
-	- lots of different python implementation projects
-	- good contactsbetween the projects
-	- maybe less fragmented than other OSS communities?
-
-5. PyPy: the vision
-
-- founders came from the Python community
-- "sprints" were the inital factor
-- what is PyPy/Python - one of the five most used programming
-  languages today 
-- grass root approach
-	
-
-6. OSS and EU funding: PyPy as a case study
-
-- driven by partially EU funded and non-EU funded parties 
-- focus on avoiding friction and turning PyPy into a long 
-  term project
-- IBM or Sun have done similarly challenging projects
-  in more time and with more funding 
-- yet not found completely satisfying "funding" 
-  interactions with communities. 
-
-7. PyPy technical status 
-
-- three public releases in 2005, well received by the
-  community 
-- core deliverables fullfilled
-- contributors add different directions 
-
-8. PyPy: It's all about communication ... 
-- pypy-sync meetings, 30 minutes IRC 
-- day-to-day IRC discussions
-- "this week in PyPy" 
-- mailing lists: pypy-svn/eu-tracking tracks code and document changes 
-- around 20000 visitors per month on website
-- lots of blogs and pypy-dev (developer/researcher list) 
-- 300-500 people across the world following the project 
-
-9. all good and well but the main thing are: sprints 
-- one-week intense work-meetings with one break day
-- EU and non-EU researchers/developers get together 
-- daily planning sessions 
-- pair programming 
-- evolving and adapting to more attendants 
-- organisational/management tasks happen also on sprints 
-
-10. next
-- tackling research and technical goals (challenging!) 
-- mid-term EU review planned for 20th january  
-- looking into adjusting some work planning 
-- increased dissemination, attending conferences (movie features?)
-- start talking to and interact with commercial stakeholders 
-
+SEMINAR
+Best Practice in the Use and Development of Free and Open Source Software
+3. Case study:
+
+Part 2/Holger: