Antonio Cuni  committed d0efef2

draft for a new blog post

  • Participants
  • Parent commits 9333ab0

Comments (0)

Files changed (1)

File blog/draft/py3k-status-update-6.rst

+Py3k status update #6
+This is the sixth status update about our work on the `py3k branch`_, which we
+can work on thanks to all of the people who donated_ to the `py3k proposal`_.
+The coolest new is not about what we did in the past weeks, but what we will
+do in the next: I am pleased to announce that Philip Jenvey has been selected
+to be funded for his upcoming work on py3k, thanks to your generous
+donations. He will start to work on it shortly, and he will surely help the
+branch to make faster progress.  I am also particularly happy of this because
+Philip is the first non-core developer who is getting paid with donations: he
+demonstrated over the past months to be able to work effectively on PyPy, and
+so we were happy to approve his application for the job.  This means that
+everyone can be potentially selected in the future, the only strict
+requirement is prove to be able to work on PyPy by contributing to the
+Back to the status of the branch. Most of the work since the last status
+update has been done in the area of, guess what?, unicode strings. As usual,
+this is one of the most important changes between Python 2 and Python 3, so
+it's not surprising.  The biggest news is that now PyPy internally supports
+unicode identifiers (such as names of variables, functions, attributes, etc.),
+whereas earlier it supported only ASCII bytes strings.  The changes is still
+barely visible from the outside, because the parser still rejects non-ASCII
+identifiers, however you can see it with a bit of creativity::
+    >>>> def foo(x): pass
+    >>>> foo(**{'àèìòù': 42})      
+    Traceback (most recent call last):
+      File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
+    TypeError: foo() got an unexpected keyword argument 'àèìòù'
+Before the latest changes, you used to get question marks instead of the
+proper name for the keyword argument.  Although this might seem like a small
+detail, it is a big step towards a proper working Python 3 interpreter and it
+required a couple of days of headaches.  A spin-off of this work is that now
+RPython has better built-in support for unicode (also in the default branch):
+for example, it now supports unicode string formatting (using the percent
+operator) and the methods ``.encode/.decode('utf-8')``.
+Other than that there is the usual list of smaller issues and bugs that got
+fixed, such as: teach the compiler when to emit the new opcode
+``DELETE_DEREF`` (and implement it!); detect when we use spaces and TABs
+inconsistently in the source code, as CPython does; fix yet another bug
+related to the new lexically scoped exceptions (this is the last one,
+hopefully); port some of the changes that we did to the standard CPython 2.7
+tests to 3.2, to mark those which are implementation details and should not be
+run on PyPy.
+Finally, I would like to thanks Amaury and Ariel Ben-Yehuda for his work on
+the branch; among other things, Amaury recently worked on ``cpyext`` and on
+the PyPy ``_cffi_backend``, while Ariel submitted a patch to implement `PEP
+.. _donated:
+.. _`py3k proposal`:
+.. _`py3k branch`:
+.. _`PEP 3138`: