Just some quick (and probably confused) notes about went on at the Hildesheim sprint day 1. Corrections welcome. As in Gothenburg we tried to write an evolving file that listed all the tasks: http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/hildesheim2-planning.txt somehow we didn't get very far and decided that we just would all work on rtyper issues. The following people are here: Hogler, Armin, Samuele, Christian, Richard, Carl Friedrich. Holger and Richard paired and started removing some amount of faking in PyPy. They did this by removing the usage of file as well as stdout/stdin in the PyPy interpreter and resorting to the os primitives instead, which can be more easily translated to C. Armin and Christian worked on various rtyper issues. They worked on unicode, fixed hashing for numerical types, and worked on marshal. Samuele and me worked on external functions. We cleaned up some of the hooks that were there before the current external function mechanism and implemented some math and os function for the C backend so that you can now actually use some of the primitive file operations like fdopen, stat, write... without using the CPython API. Cheers, Carl Friedrich Hi folks, the end of the world is near ... following up on Carl's day 1 report here are the main results of what happened up until now at the hildesheim2 sprint (we are in the break day currently which we spent in the city, at Wing-Tsun lessons or at family meetings). The main results so far are: - any faking can be removed now with python2.4 py.py --file --nofakedmodules so on the trunk you should see no 'faking' messages during startup anymore. It will take some time mostly because of the 'file' implementation living at app-level. Note that we have some problems running on top of Python2.3 at the moment and also some more problems with PYC file support. - Annotation can now complete without resorting to any SomeObjects anywhere (!!) - RTyping has only 2 Errors remaining. The next bigger problem is getting the compiler package integrated and bootstrapped properly. - note that we are not working from the snapshot but the trunk currently. After the sprint we probably return to the snapshot approach for translation. If you want to see more detailed daily-updated progress reports i suggest to read and follow the commits on http://codespeak.net/pypy/index.cgi?extradoc/sprintinfo/hildesheim2-planning.txt Moreover, i shot a few pictures which i put here: http://codespeak.net/~hpk/hildesheim2-sprint-www and here is a picture of the surrounding place (Trillke-Gut, my living&working base): http://www.trillke.net/images/HomePagePictureSmall.jpg cheers, holger P.S.: It appears that we will have to continue our investigations regarding some of the current problems on the astral plane. Armin and Carl has already spend some time on assembler level yesterday to hunt down the weirdest TCC interactions. But there are other confusing events as well. um, we watched 'the nine lives of Thomas Katz' yesterday night, btw. Anyway, we are still taking bets if the first C-generated annotated RTyped PyPy is to produce a segmentation fault in the C-compiler or in the resulting binary.