GYRE is a suite of stellar oscillation codes built on a multiple shooting scheme, which is robust, accurate (up to 6th order in grid spacing), and makes efficient use of computational resources (multiple cores and/or cluster nodes). The suite is written in Fortran 2008, with an object oriented architecture that is simple, clean, modular and adherent to modern coding best practices. The code is described in detail in Townsend & Teitler (2013, MNRAS, 435, 3406) and Townsend et al. (2018, MNRAS, 475, 879). For the most up-to-date information on GYRE's capabilities, please see the Capabilities page.
GYRE is free for everyone to use, with no restrictions. However, if you find yourself using GYRE on a regular basis, you should consider contributing to the project to ensure its long-term continuation. Ways to contribute include the following:
- Contribute code to the project, to extend GYRE's capabilities
- Contribute documentation and tutorials to the project, to make GYRE more user-friendly
- Invite the GYRE team to be co-authors on relevant papers
- Invite the GYRE team to be co-investigators on relevant grant applications
Simply citing or acknowledging GYRE in a paper is nice, but isn't contributing!
- Namelist Input Files
- Stellar Model Files
- Output Files
- Variables & Equations
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Release Notes
- Documentation for previous releases
- The GYRE discussion forums (for bug reports, etc)
- The MESA SDK Software Development Kit
- The MESA Stellar Evolution Code
- The Mercurial branching stragegy providing the basis for the GYRE development model
If you use GYRE in your research, please cite the relevant 'instrument' papers: Townsend & Teitler (2013, MNRAS, 435, 3406), which describes the basic operation of the code, and Townsend et al. (2018, MNRAS, 475, 879), which outlines improvements to allow non-adiabatic calculations.
GYRE has been developed with support from the Astronomy & Astrophysics Grants (AAG) program of the National Science Foundation, through awards AST-0908688 and AST-0904607.