py2app 0.5 is a minor feature release.
- Add support for the ``--with-framework-name`` option of Python's
configure script, that is: py2app now also works when the Python
framework is not named 'Python.framework'.
- Add support for various build flavours of Python (32bit, 3-way, ...)
- py2app now actually works for me (email@example.com) with a
python interpreter in a virtualenv environment.
- Experimental support for python 3
- Fix recipe for matplotlib: that recipe caused an exception with
current versions of matplotlib and pytz.
- Use modern API's in the alias-build bootstrap code, without
this 'py2app -A' will result in broken bundles on a 64-bit build
(Patch contributed by James R Eagan)
- Try both 'import Image' and 'from PIL import Image' in the PIL
(Patch contributed by Christopher Barker)
- The stub executable now works for 64-bit application bundles
- (Lowlevel) The application stub was rewritten to use
``dlopen`` instead of ``dyld`` APIs. This removes deprecation
warnings during compilation.
py2app 0.4.3 is a bugfix release
- A bad format string in build_app.py made it impossible to copy the
Python framework into an app bundle.
- A new recipe for `virtualenv`_, this allows you to use py2app from
+.. _`virtualenv`: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv
- Adds support for converting ``.xib`` files (NIB files for
py2app 0.4.0 is a minor feature release (and was never formally released).
- Support for CoreData mapping models (introduced in Mac OS X 10.5)
- Support for python packages that are stored in zipfiles (such as ``zip_safe``
- Fix incorrect symlink target creation with an alias bundle that has included
- Stuffit tends to extract archives recursively, which results in unzipped
code archives inside py2app-created bundles. This version has a workaround
for this "feature" for Stuffit.
- Be more carefull about passing non-constant strings as the template argumenti
of string formatting functions (in the app and bundle templates), to avoid
crashes under some conditions.
- Ensure that custom icons are copied into the output bundle
- Solve compatibility problem with some haxies and inputmanager plugins
- Resolve disable_linecache issue
- Fix Info.plist and Python path for plugins
- Fixed a typo in the py2applet script
- Removed some, but not all, compiler warnings from the bundle template
(which is still probably broken anyway)
- Fixed a typo in the argv emulation code
- Removed the unnecessary py2app.install hack (setuptools does that already)
- Massively updated documentation
- New recipes: numpy, scipy, matplotlib
- Updated py2applet script to take options, provide --make-setup
- No longer defaults to LSPrefersPPC
- Replaced stdlib usage of argvemulator to inline version for i386
- New --xref (-x) option similar to py2exe's that produces
a list of modules and their interdependencies as a HTML
- sys.executable now points to a regular Python interpreter
alongside the regular executable, so spawning sub-interpreters
should work much more reliably
- Application bootstrap now detects paths containing ":"
and will provide a "friendly" error message instead of just
- Application bootstrap now sets PYTHONHOME instead of
- Application bootstrap rewritten in C that links to
CoreFoundation and Cocoa dynamically as needed,
so it doesn't imply any particular version of the runtime.
- Documentation and examples changed to use setuptools
instead of distutils.core, which removes the need for
- Refactored to use setuptools, distributed as an egg.
- macholib, bdist_mpkg, modulegraph, and altgraph are now
separately maintained packages available on PyPI as eggs
- macholib now supports little endian architectures,
64-bit Mach-O headers, and reading/writing of
multiple headers per file (fat / universal binaries)
- macholib.util.in_system_path understands SDKs now
- DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH searching is fixed
- Frameworks and excludes options should work again.
- Symlinks in included frameworks should be preserved correctly
- Fixes some minor issues with alias bundles
- Removed implicit SpiderImagePlugin -> ImageTk reference in PIL
- The ``--optimize`` option should work now
- ``weakref`` is now included by default
- ``anydbm``'s dynamic dependencies are now in the standard implies
- Errors on app launch are brought to the front so the user does
- bdist_mpkg now compatible with pychecker (data_files had issues)
- deprecated ``--strip``, it is now on by default
- new ``--no-strip`` option to turn off stripping of executables
- Looks for a hacked version of the PyOpenGL __init__.py so that
it doesn't have to include the whole package in order to get
at the stupid version file.
- New ``loader_files`` key that a recipe can return in order to
ensure that non-code ends up in the .zip (the pygame recipe
- Now scans all files in the bundle and normalizes Mach-O load
commands, not just extensions. This helps out when using the
``--package`` option, when including frameworks that have plugins,
- An embedded Python interpreter is now included in the executable
bundle (``sys.executable`` points to it), this currently only
works for framework builds of Python
- New ``macho_standalone`` tool
- New ``macho_find`` tool
- Major enhancements to the way plugins are built
- bdist_mpkg now has a ``--zipdist`` option to build zip files
- The bdist_mpkg "Installed to:" description is now based on the
package install root, rather than the build root
- The ``bdist_mpkg`` script will now set up sys.path properly, for setup scripts
that require local imports.
- ``bdist_mpkg`` will now correctly accept ``ReadMe``, ``License``, ``Welcome``,
and ``background`` files by parameter.
- ``bdist_mpkg`` can now display a custom background again (0.1.6 broke this).
- ``bdist_mpkg`` now accepts a ``build-base=`` argument, to put build files in
- ``py2app`` will now accept main scripts with a ``.pyw`` extension.
- ``py2app``'s not_stdlib_filter will now ignore a ``site-python`` directory as
well as ``site-packages``.
- ``py2app``'s plugin bundle template no longer displays GUI dialogs by default,
but still links to ``AppKit``.
- ``py2app`` now ensures that the directory of the main script is now added to
``sys.path`` when scanning modules.
- The ``py2app`` build command has been refactored such that it would be easier
to change its behavior by subclassing.
- ``py2app`` alias bundles can now cope with editors that do atomic saves
(write new file, swap names with existing file).
- ``macholib`` now has minimal support for fat binaries. It still assumes big
endian and will not make any changes to a little endian header.
- Add a warning message when using the ``install`` command rather than installing
- New ``simple/structured`` example that shows how you could package an
application that is organized into several folders.
- New ``PyObjC/pbplugin`` Xcode Plug-In example.
- ``py2applet`` and ``bdist_mpkg`` scripts have been moved to Python modules
so that the functionality can be shared with the tools.
- Generic graph-related functionality from ``py2app`` was moved to
``altgraph.ObjectGraph`` and ``altgraph.GraphUtil``.
- ``bdist_mpkg`` now outputs more specific plist requirements
(for future compatibility).
- ``py2app`` can now create plugin bundles (MH_BUNDLE) as well as executables.
New recipe for supporting extensions built with `sip`_, such as `PyQt`_. Note that
due to the way that `sip`_ works, when one sip-based extension is used, *all*
sip-based extensions are included in your application. In practice, this means
anything provided by `Riverbank`_, I don't think anyone else uses `sip`_ (publicly).
- New recipe for `PyOpenGL`_. This is very naive and simply includes the whole
thing, rather than trying to monkeypatch their brain-dead
version acquisition routine in ``__init__``.
- Bootstrap now sets ``ARGVZERO`` and ``EXECUTABLEPATH`` environment variables,
corresponding to the ``argv`` and the ``_NSGetExecutablePath(...)`` that the
bundle saw. This is only really useful if you need to relaunch your own
- More correct ``dyld`` search behavior.
- Refactored ``macholib`` to use ``altgraph``, can now generate `GraphViz`_ graphs
and more complex analysis of dependencies can be done.
- ``macholib`` was refactored to be easier to maintain, and the structure handling
has been optimized a bit.
- The few tests that there are were refactored in `py.test`_ style.
- New `PyOpenGL`_ example.
an metapackage from any distutils script.
- Includes PackageInstaller tool
- setup.py enhancements to support bdist_mpkg functionality
- Added a ``PackageInstaller`` tool, a droplet that performs the same function
as the ``bdist_mpkg`` script.
- Create a custom ``bdist_mpkg`` subclass for `py2app`_'s setup script.
- Source package now includes `PJE`_'s `setuptools`_ extension to distutils.
- Added lots of metadata to the setup script.
- ``py2app.modulegraph`` is now a top-level package, ``modulegraph``.
- ``py2app.find_modules`` is now ``modulegraph.find_modules``.
- Should now correctly handle paths (and application names) with unicode characters
- New ``--strip`` option for ``py2app`` build command, strips all Mach-O files
in output application bundle.
- New ``--bdist-base=`` option for ``py2app`` build command, allows an alternate
build directory to be specified.
- New `docutils`_ recipe.
Support for non-framework Python, such as the one provided by `DarwinPorts`_.
.. _`sip`: http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/sip/index.php
.. _`PyQt`: http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/index.php
.. _`DarwinPorts`: http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/
-.. _`docutils`: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/
.. _`setuptools`: http://cvs.eby-sarna.com/PEAK/setuptools/
.. _`PJE`: http://dirtSimple.org/
.. _`PyObjC`: http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/
- ``altgraph``, my fork of Istvan Albert's `graphlib`_, is now part of the
- ``py2app.modulegraph`` has been refactored to use ``altgraph``
- `py2app`_ can now create `GraphViz`_ DOT graphs with the ``-g`` option
- Moved the filter stack into ``py2app.modulegraph``
- Fixed a bug that may have been in 0.1.2 where explicitly included packages
would not be scanned by ``macholib``
- ``py2app.apptemplate`` now contains a stripped down ``site`` module as
opposed to a ``sitecustomize``
- Alias builds are now the only ones that contain the system and user
``site-packages`` directory in ``sys.path``
- The ``pydoc`` recipe has been beefed up to also exclude ``BaseHTTPServer``,
- Commands marked with XXX in the help are not implemented
- Includes *all* files from packages, it should be smart enough to strip
unused .py/.pyc/.pyo files (to save space, depending on which optimization
- ``macholib`` should be refactored to use ``altgraph``
- ``py2app.build_app`` and ``py2app.modulegraph`` should be refactored to
search for dependencies on a per-application basis
.. _`graphlib`: http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/i/u/iua1/python/graphlib/html/
-.. _`GraphViz`: http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/
.. _`TinyTinyEdit example`: http://undefined.org/~bob/TinyTinyEdit.pdf
`py2app`_ 0.2 is primarily a bugfix release:
- The encodings package now gets included in the zip file (saves space)
- A copy of the Python interpreter is not included anymore in standalone
- The executable bootstrap is now stripped by default (saves a little space)
- ``sys.argv`` is set correctly now, it used to point to the executable, now
it points to the boot script. This should enhance compatibility with some
- Adds an "Alias" feature to modulegraph, so that ``sys.modules`` craziness
such as ``wxPython.wx -> wx`` can be accomodated (this particular craziness
is also now handled by default)
- A ``sys.path`` alternative may be passed to ``find_modules`` now, though
- The ``Command`` instance is now passed to recipes instead of the
``Distribution`` instance (though no recipes currently use either)
- The post-filtering of modules and extensions is now generalized into a
stack and can be modified by recipes
- A `wxPython`_ example demonstrating how to package `wxGlade`_ has been
added (this is a good example of how to write your own recipe, and how to
deal with complex applications that mix code and data files)
- ``PyRuntimeLocations`` is now set to (only) the location of the current
interpreter's ``Python.framework`` for alias and semi-standalone build
modes (enhances compatibility with extensions built with an unpatched
- Several problems related to Mac OS X 10.2 compatibility and standalone
building have been resolved
- Scripts that are not in the same directory as setup.py now work
- A new recipe has been added that removes the pydoc -> Tkinter dependency
- A recipe has been added for `py2app`_ itself
- a `wxPython`_ example (superdoodle) has been added.
Demonstrates not only how easy it is (finally!) to bundle
`wxPython`_ applications, but also how one setup.py can
deal with both `py2exe`_ and `py2app`_.
- A new experimental tool, py2applet, has been added.
Once you've built it (``python setup.py py2app``, of course), you should
be able to build simple applications simply by dragging your main script