- You probably want virtualenv (and virtualenvwrapper)
- Everything from requirements.txt, except postgres which is only needed on ep.io
- CoffeeScript compiler (available via npm)
- Less.js compiler (available via npm)
- Create a virtualenv
- pip install -r requirements.txt. Comment out stuff you don't need, postgres and possibly sqlite if it's bundled with your system
- Create a "secrets.py" file in the same dir as settings.py. It should contain:
TWITTER_PASSWORD = <twitter account password>
Never add this file to the repo! It is the only place secrets should be stored.
- run "assetgen assetgen.yaml" to generate all the static stuff. You should probably be adding the --watch flag so it will keep running and doing that whenever you change the .less and .coffee files
- run "python siteutil.py dbcreate" to create the local test db
- run "python localtweetdaemon.py" to run the twitter daemon that populates the db
- run "python localdev.py" to run the web server. It defaults to port 8080.
There is no need to restart the web server when working on coffescript, css and templates. The templates live in the site/views dir.
There _should_ be no need to restart the web server when doint changes to it as it attempts to reload itself. This doesn't seem to be 100% reliable though.