Active open source projects which use SCons as their build system.
- ASCEND, a system modelling package for engineering. Latest SConstruct.
- Ardour (Digital Audio Workstation) See SConstruct and the rest of the project
- Aria Maestosa - a C++ MIDI editor and composition/notation application
- Blender (Popular 3D suite). See SConstruct and the rest of the project, this is a complex setup.
- Bombono DVD authoring program with nice and clean GUI.
- Cantera A toolkit for chemical kinetics and thermodynamics. Uses SCons for building a C++ library, Python packages, a Matlab toolbox, and Windows installers.
- CLAM C++ Library for Audio and Music, a framework to develop sophisticated audio analysis and transformations. See Main SConstruct
- Consodoc (XML publishing server).
- Csound (a sound synthesis language) See SConstruct
- FreeNOS - a microkernel operating system written in C++.
- FreeOrion (Galactic conquest game). See SConstruct
- Freesteam (Steam properties library) See SConstruct. Uses SCons since version 0.6.
- FSP Project (File transfer protocol)
- GL O.B.S. GL Open Benchmark Suite. See Main SConstruct, Benchmarks SConstruct
- Groovy - Groovy is a dynamic programming language for the JVM that work symbiotically with Java. The build of Groovy itself is Ant but the build of the native laucher is SCons.
- GtkRadiant (level editor for Id technology games). You can read the SConstruct and the SConscript online.
- IntensityEngine An open source platform for 3D games and virtual worlds.
- Hydrogen - advanced drum machine for GNU/Linux
- LProf - ICC Profile creation application for color managing your imaging devices.
- Lumiera - professional video editor for Linux. (see SConstruct Setup.py Platform.py a SConscript)
- Madagascar (geophysical data processing and reproducible numerical experiments) Uses SCons not only for compiling software but also for managing data processing flows. See Main SConstruct, Reproducible computational experiments using SCons, Example SConstruct for signal processing.
- Mapnik A Free Toolkit for developing mapping applications.
- Mars: Land of No Mercy Open source isometric turn-based strategy game. See SConstruct
- Mixxx - Free MP3 DJ Mixing Software
- MongoDB (Document Database) MongoDB (from "humongous") is a scalable, high-performance, open source, document-oriented database. See SConstruct
- Netsukuku (Netsukuku daemon) See SConstruct.
- Nonpareil (Microcode-level HP calculator simulator) See SConstruct and the SConscript files in subdirectories
- NSIS (Script based installer creator for Windows) See SConstruct
- Nsound - C++ Audio Synthesis Framework
- OpenAlea - Python/C++ Components for plant modelling. See SConsX, a SCons based Python package to ease complex build on Linux and Windows.
- openEHR (Electronic Health Record standard). See SConstruct
- Palabos - Open-source CFD solver based on the lattice Boltzmann method.
- PlatformIO - A cross-platform code builder and the missing library manager. See SConstruct
- PowderToy - Create a landscape in this physics sandbox engine...and then blow it up!
- PowerScribe3000 - CD and DVD discs indexer.
- S.C.O.U.R.G.E. A cross platform, open source rogue-like game. See SConstruct
- SuperCollider (Realtime sound synthesis server and language) See SConstruct
- Syx (Smalltalk-80 implementation). See SConstruct. This setup includes test and plugins, working on posix and win32.
- Ubitrack Tracking for Mixed-/Augmented Reality applications, Chair for Computer Aided Medical Procedures and Augmented Reality, Technical University Munich
- UFO2000 (turn based tactical multiplayer game) See SConstruct
- VMime Library (Mail library) See SConstruct
YafaRay A free open-source raytracing engine. Less active projects, which use SCons as their build system:
- NeoEngine (OpenSource 3D Engine) See SConstruct and the SConscript in the subdirectory folders
- Atoms (C++ wrapper of basic POSIX API). SConstruct
- sigsafe (C library for safe signal handling) SConstruct
- Spook (X11 window manager) This project has disappeared almost without trace.
- CapiSuite (ISDN telecommunication suite) See SConstruct and referenced files. The previous maintainer has left the project and there has been no news of a new contributor for over a year.
- kio-clucene (flexible local search kio-slave for KDE) There appears to be no activity since 2005.
- Libverticale-xhtml A semantic art gallery framework. The developer has announced that it it no longer under development.
Rekall (KDE database frontend) Projects which previously used SCons as their build system:
- XMMS2 Next generation XMMS software. Has now switched to waf.
- KDevelop (IDE for C++ and other languages) They created a proof of concept for using scons, but later switched to CMake.
- bksys was a scons-based build system used by kde programs. In 2006 it evolved into waf, a competitor for SCons.
Delta3D Open source gaming and simulations engine, switched to CMake Non Open source projects which use SCons as their build system.
ISTS TCP BIOS A proprietary loader software for a telecomunications traffic simulator
- Battlefield 1942 (FPS and vehicle action game)
- Vocon3200 speech recognition engine and SDK for automotive navigation systems from Nuance
- Vocalizer speech synthesis engine and SDK for embedded systems from Nuance
- Nuance uses SBuild, a drop-in add-on to SCons-local, since January 2005. SBuild is not open source (yet).
- http://www.doom3.com iD Software's Doom 3 SDK includes the internally used Scons files.
- COPS 2170: The Power of Law (cyberpunk style tactical strategy with RPG elements)
- ALFA: Antiterror (tactical simulation)
- Pin (Binary Instrumentation Tool) On 2008-02-17, Mark Brown scanned the packages in the Debian distribution for packages that used SCons. There may be some false positives due to the nature of the scan, but he found 35 packages. Many of them don't seem to be listed above. If someone has some spare cycles, tracking down the projects missing above and adding them would be a good thing. Here's the list: abakus aqsis ardour balder2d belpic blender blockattack btanks cheesetracker codeine create-resources csstidy darcs-buildpackage dc-qt dfsbuild gaia gtkrsync hg-buildpackage hpodder jppy kstreamripper linuxdcpp lprof mixxx nsis oregano pingus pouetchess pyexiv2 rafkill skim telepathy-inspector tla-buildpackage wlassistant yafray