Summary: pip installs packages. Python packages. An easy_install replacement
Author: The pip developers
`pip` is a tool for installing and managing Python packages, such as
those found in the `Python Package Index`_. It's a replacement for
$ pip install simplejson
[... progress report ...]
Successfully installed simplejson
.. _`Python Package Index`: http://pypi.python.org/pypi
.. _easy_install: http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall
Upgrading a package::
$ pip install --upgrade simplejson
[... progress report ...]
Successfully installed simplejson
Removing a package::
$ pip uninstall simplejson
Proceed (y/n)? y
Successfully uninstalled simplejson
The main website for pip is `www.pip-installer.org
<http://www.pip-installer.org>`_. You can also install
the `in-development version <https://github.com/pypa/pip/tarball/develop#egg=pip-dev>`_
of pip with ``easy_install pip==dev``.
The homepage for pip is at `pip-installer.org <http://www.pip-installer.org/>`_.
Bugs can be filed in the `pip issue tracker
<https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/>`_. Discussion happens on the
`virtualenv email group
Next release (1.3) schedule
Beta and final releases planned for the end of 2012.
* Fixed a regression introduced in 1.2 about raising an exception when
not finding any files to uninstall in the current environment. Thanks for
the fix, Marcus Smith.
* **Dropped support for Python 2.4** The minimum supported Python version is
now Python 2.5.
* Fixed issue #605 - pypi mirror support broken on some DNS responses. Thanks
* Fixed issue #355 - pip uninstall removes files it didn't install. Thanks
* Fixed issues #493, #494, #440, and #573 related to improving support for the
user installation scheme. Thanks Marcus Smith.
* Write failure log to temp file if default location is not writable. Thanks
* Pull in submodules for git editable checkouts. Fixes #289 and #421. Thanks
Hsiaoming Yang and Markus Hametner.
* Use a temporary directory as the default build location outside of a
virtualenv. Fixes issues #339 and #381. Thanks TC01.
* Added support for specifying extras with local editables. Thanks Nick
* Added ``--egg`` flag to request egg-style rather than flat installation. Refs
issue #3. Thanks Kamal Bin Mustafa.
* Fixed issue #510 - prevent e.g. ``gmpy2-2.0.tar.gz`` from matching a request
to ``pip install gmpy``; sdist filename must begin with full project name
followed by a dash. Thanks casevh for the report.
* Fixed issue #504 - allow package URLS to have querystrings. Thanks W.
* Fixed issue #58 - pip freeze now falls back to non-editable format rather
than blowing up if it can't determine the origin repository of an editable.
Thanks Rory McCann.
* Added a `__main__.py` file to enable `python -m pip` on Python versions
that support it. Thanks Alexey Luchko.
* Fixed issue #487 - upgrade from VCS url of project that does exist on
index. Thanks Andrew Knapp for the report.
* Fixed issue #486 - fix upgrade from VCS url of project with no distribution
on index. Thanks Andrew Knapp for the report.
* Fixed issue #427 - clearer error message on a malformed VCS url. Thanks
* Added support for using any of the built in guaranteed algorithms in
``hashlib`` as a checksum hash.
* Fixed issue #321 - Raise an exception if current working directory can't be
found or accessed.
* Fixed issue #82 - Removed special casing of the user directory and use the
Python default instead.
* Fixed #436 - Only warn about version conflicts if there is actually one.
This re-enables using ``==dev`` in requirements files.
* Moved tests to be run on Travis CI: http://travis-ci.org/pypa/pip
* Added a better help formatter.
* Fixed issue #326 - don't crash when a package's setup.py emits UTF-8 and
then fails. Thanks Marc Abramowitz.
* Added ``--target`` option for installing directly to arbitrary directory.
Thanks Stavros Korokithakis.
* Added support for authentication with Subversion repositories. Thanks
* Fixed issue #315 - ``--download`` now downloads dependencies as well.
Thanks Qiangning Hong.
* Errors from subprocesses will display the current working directory.
Thanks Antti Kaihola.
* Fixed issue #369 - compatibility with Subversion 1.7. Thanks Qiangning
Hong. Note that setuptools remains incompatible with Subversion 1.7; to
get the benefits of pip's support you must use Distribute rather than
* Fixed issue #57 - ignore py2app-generated OS X mpkg zip files in finder.
Thanks Rene Dudfield.
* Fixed issue #182 - log to ~/Library/Logs/ by default on OS X framework
installs. Thanks Dan Callahan for report and patch.
* Fixed issue #310 - understand version tags without minor version ("py3")
in sdist filenames. Thanks Stuart Andrews for report and Olivier Girardot for
* Fixed issue #7 - Pip now supports optionally installing setuptools
"extras" dependencies; e.g. "pip install Paste[openid]". Thanks Matt Maker
and Olivier Girardot.
* Fixed issue #391 - freeze no longer borks on requirements files with
--index-url or --find-links. Thanks Herbert Pfennig.
* Fixed issue #288 - handle symlinks properly. Thanks lebedov for the patch.
* Fixed issue #49 - pip install -U no longer reinstalls the same versions of
packages. Thanks iguananaut for the pull request.
* Removed ``-E``/``--environment`` option and ``PIP_RESPECT_VIRTUALENV``;
both use a restart-in-venv mechanism that's broken, and neither one is
useful since every virtualenv now has pip inside it. Replace ``pip -E
path/to/venv install Foo`` with ``virtualenv path/to/venv &&
path/to/venv/pip install Foo``.
* Fixed issue #366 - pip throws IndexError when it calls `scraped_rel_links`
* Fixed issue #22 - pip search should set and return a userful shell status code
* Fixed issue #351 and #365 - added global ``--exists-action`` command line
option to easier script file exists conflicts, e.g. from editable
requirements from VCS that have a changed repo URL.
* Fixed docs issues.
* Fixed issue #295 - Reinstall a package when using the ``install -I`` option
* Fixed issue #283 - Finds a Git tag pointing to same commit as origin/master
* Fixed issue #279 - Use absolute path for path to docs in setup.py
* Fixed issue #314 - Correctly handle exceptions on Python3.
* Fixed issue #320 - Correctly parse ``--editable`` lines in requirements files
* Start to use git-flow.
* Fixed issue #274 - `find_command` should not raise AttributeError
* Fixed issue #273 - respect Content-Disposition header. Thanks Bradley Ayers.
* Fixed issue #233 - pathext handling on Windows.
* Fixed issue #252 - svn+svn protocol.
* Fixed issue #44 - multiple CLI searches.
* Fixed issue #266 - current working directory when running setup.py clean.
* Added Python 3 support! Huge thanks to Vinay Sajip, Vitaly Babiy, Kelsey
Hightower, and Alex Gronholm, among others.
* Download progress only shown on a real TTY. Thanks Alex Morega.
* Fixed finding of VCS binaries to not be fooled by same-named directories.
Thanks Alex Morega.
* Fixed uninstall of packages from system Python for users of Debian/Ubuntu
python-setuptools package (workaround until fixed in Debian and Ubuntu).
* Added `get-pip.py <https://raw.github.com/pypa/pip/master/contrib/get-pip.py>`_
installer. Simply download and execute it, using the Python interpreter of
$ curl -O https://raw.github.com/pypa/pip/master/contrib/get-pip.py
$ python get-pip.py
This may have to be run as root.
Make sure you have `distribute <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute>`_
installed before using the installer!
* Moved main repository to Github: https://github.com/pypa/pip
* Transferred primary maintenance from Ian to Jannis Leidel, Carl Meyer, Brian Rosner
* Fixed issue #14 - No uninstall-on-upgrade with URL package. Thanks Oliver Tonnhofer
* Fixed issue #163 - Egg name not properly resolved. Thanks Igor Sobreira
* Fixed issue #178 - Non-alphabetical installation of requirements. Thanks Igor Sobreira
* Fixed issue #199 - Documentation mentions --index instead of --index-url. Thanks Kelsey Hightower
* Fixed issue #204 - rmtree undefined in mercurial.py. Thanks Kelsey Hightower
* Fixed bug in Git vcs backend that would break during reinstallation.
* Fixed bug in Mercurial vcs backend related to pip freeze and branch/tag resolution.
* Fixed bug in version string parsing related to the suffix "-dev".
* Avoid redundant unpacking of bundles (from pwaller)
* Fixed issue #32, #150, #161 - Fixed checking out the correct
tag/branch/commit when updating an editable Git requirement.
* Fixed issue #49 - Added ability to install version control requirements
without making them editable, e.g.::
pip install git+https://github.com/pypa/pip/
* Fixed issue #175 - Correctly locate build and source directory on Mac OS X.
* Added ``git+https://`` scheme to Git VCS backend.
* Added global --user flag as shortcut for --install-option="--user". From
* Added support for `PyPI mirrors <http://pypi.python.org/mirrors>`_ as
defined in `PEP 381 <http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0381/>`_, from
* Fixed issue #138 - Git revisions ignored. Thanks John-Scott Atlakson.
* Fixed issue #95 - Initial editable install of github package from a tag fails. Thanks John-Scott Atlakson.
* Fixed issue #107 - Can't install if a directory in cwd has the same name as the package you're installing.
* Fixed issue #39 - --install-option="--prefix=~/.local" ignored with -e.
Thanks Ronny Pfannschmidt and Wil Tan.
* Track which ``build/`` directories pip creates, never remove directories
it doesn't create. From Hugo Lopes Tavares.
* Pip now accepts file:// index URLs. Thanks Dave Abrahams.
* Various cleanup to make test-running more consistent and less fragile.
Thanks Dave Abrahams.
* Real Windows support (with passing tests). Thanks Dave Abrahams.
* ``pip-2.7`` etc. scripts are created (Python-version specific scripts)
* ``contrib/build-standalone`` script creates a runnable ``.zip`` form of
pip, from Jannis Leidel
* Editable git repos are updated when reinstalled
* Fix problem with ``--editable`` when multiple ``.egg-info/`` directories
* A number of VCS-related fixes for ``pip freeze``, from Hugo Lopes Tavares.
* Significant test framework changes, from Hugo Lopes Tavares.
* Set zip_safe=False to avoid problems some people are encountering where
pip is installed as a zip file.
* Fixed opening of logfile with no directory name. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
* Temporary files are consistently cleaned up, especially after
installing bundles, also from Alex Conrad.
* Tests now require at least ScriptTest 1.0.3.
* Fixed uninstallation on Windows
* Added ``pip search`` command.
* Tab-complete names of installed distributions for ``pip uninstall``.
* Support tab-completion when there is a global-option before the
* Install header files in standard (scheme-default) location when installing
outside a virtualenv. Install them to a slightly more consistent
non-standard location inside a virtualenv (since the standard location is
a non-writable symlink to the global location).
* pip now logs to a central location by default (instead of creating
``pip-log.txt`` all over the place) and constantly overwrites the
file in question. On Unix and Mac OS X this is ``'$HOME/.pip/pip.log'``
and on Windows it's ``'%HOME%\\pip\\pip.log'``. You are still able to
override this location with the ``$PIP_LOG_FILE`` environment variable.
For a complete (appended) logfile use the separate ``'--log'`` command line
* Fixed an issue with Git that left an editable packge as a checkout of a
remote branch, even if the default behaviour would have been fine, too.
* Fixed installing from a Git tag with older versions of Git.
* Expand "~" in logfile and download cache paths.
* Speed up installing from Mercurial repositories by cloning without
updating the working copy multiple times.
* Fixed installing directly from directories (e.g.
``pip install path/to/dir/``).
* Fixed installing editable packages with ``svn+ssh`` URLs.
* Don't print unwanted debug information when running the freeze command.
* Create log file directory automatically. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
* Make test suite easier to run successfully. Thanks Dave Abrahams.
* Fixed "pip install ." and "pip install .."; better error for directory
without setup.py. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
* Support Debian/Ubuntu "dist-packages" in zip command. Thanks duckx.
* Fix relative --src folder. Thanks Simon Cross.
* Handle missing VCS with an error message. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
* Added --no-download option to install; pairs with --no-install to separate
download and installation into two steps. Thanks Simon Cross.
* Fix uninstalling from requirements file containing -f, -i, or
* Leftover build directories are now removed. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
* Fixed import error on Windows with regard to the backwards compatibility
* Fixed uninstall when /tmp is on a different filesystem.
* Fixed uninstallation of distributions with namespace packages.
* Added support for the ``https`` and ``http-static`` schemes to the
Mercurial and ``ftp`` scheme to the Bazaar backend.
* Fixed uninstallation of scripts installed with easy_install.
* Fixed an issue in the package finder that could result in an
infinite loop while looking for links.
* Fixed issue with ``pip bundle`` and local files (which weren't being
copied into the bundle), from Whit Morriss.
* Add ``pip uninstall`` and uninstall-before upgrade (from Carl
* Extended configurability with config files and environment variables.
* Allow packages to be upgraded, e.g., ``pip install Package==0.1``
then ``pip install Package==0.2``.
* Allow installing/upgrading to Package==dev (fix "Source version does not
match target version" errors).
* Added command and option completion for bash and zsh.
* Extended integration with virtualenv by providing an option to
automatically use an active virtualenv and an option to warn if no active
virtualenv is found.
* Fixed a bug with pip install --download and editable packages, where
directories were being set with 0000 permissions, now defaults to 755.
* Fixed uninstallation of easy_installed console_scripts.
* Fixed uninstallation on Mac OS X Framework layout installs
* Fixed bug preventing uninstall of editables with source outside venv.
* Creates download cache directory if not existing.
* Fixed a couple little bugs, with git and with extensions.
* Added ability to override the default log file name (``pip-log.txt``)
with the environmental variable ``$PIP_LOG_FILE``.
* Made the freeze command print installed packages to stdout instead of
writing them to a file. Use simple redirection (e.g.
``pip freeze > stable-req.txt``) to get a file with requirements.
* Fixed problem with freezing editable packages from a Git repository.
* Added support for base URLs using ``<base href='...'>`` when parsing
* Fixed installing of non-editable packages from version control systems.
* Fixed issue with Bazaar's bzr+ssh scheme.
* Added --download-dir option to the install command to retrieve package
archives. If given an editable package it will create an archive of it.
* Added ability to pass local file and directory paths to ``--find-links``,
* Reduced the amount of console log messages when fetching a page to find a
distribution was problematic. The full messages can be found in pip-log.txt.
* Added ``--no-deps`` option to install ignore package dependencies
* Added ``--no-index`` option to ignore the package index (PyPI) temporarily
* Fixed installing editable packages from Git branches.
* Fixes freezing of editable packages from Mercurial repositories.
* Fixed handling read-only attributes of build files, e.g. of Subversion and
Bazaar on Windows.
* When downloading a file from a redirect, use the redirected
location's extension to guess the compression (happens specifically
when redirecting to a bitbucket.org tip.gz file).
* Editable freeze URLs now always use revision hash/id rather than tip or
branch names which could move.
* Fixed comparison of repo URLs so incidental differences such as
presence/absence of final slashes or quoted/unquoted special
characters don't trigger "ignore/switch/wipe/backup" choice.
* Fixed handling of attempt to checkout editable install to a
non-empty, non-repo directory.
* Make ``-e`` work better with local hg repositories
* Construct PyPI URLs the exact way easy_install constructs URLs (you
might notice this if you use a custom index that is
* Improvements on Windows (from `Ionel Maries Cristian
* Fixed problem with not being able to install private git repositories.
* Make ``pip zip`` zip all its arguments, not just the first.
* Fix some filename issues on Windows.
* Allow the ``-i`` and ``--extra-index-url`` options in requirements
* Fix the way bundle components are unpacked and moved around, to make
* Adds ``-s`` option to allow the access to the global site-packages if a
virtualenv is to be created.
* Fixed support for Subversion 1.6.
* Improved virtualenv restart and various path/cleanup problems on win32.
* Fixed a regression with installing from svn repositories (when not
* Fixes when installing editable packages that put their source in a
subdirectory (like ``src/``).
* Improve ``pip -h``
* Added support for editable packages created from Git, Mercurial and Bazaar
repositories and ability to freeze them. Refactored support for version
* Do not use ``sys.exit()`` from inside the code, instead use a
return. This will make it easier to invoke programmatically.
* Put the install record in ``Package.egg-info/installed-files.txt``
(previously they went in
* Fix a problem with ``pip freeze`` not including ``-e svn+`` when an
svn structure is peculiar.
* Allow ``pip -E`` to work with a virtualenv that uses a different
version of Python than the parent environment.
* Fixed Win32 virtualenv (``-E``) option.
* Search the links passed in with ``-f`` for packages.
* Detect zip files, even when the file doesn't have a ``.zip``
extension and it is served with the wrong Content-Type.
* Installing editable from existing source now works, like ``pip
install -e some/path/`` will install the package in ``some/path/``.
Most importantly, anything that package requires will also be
installed by pip.
* Add a ``--path`` option to ``pip un/zip``, so you can avoid zipping
files that are outside of where you expect.
* Add ``--simulate`` option to ``pip zip``.
* Fixed small problem that prevented using ``pip.py`` without actually
* Fixed ``--upgrade``, which would download and appear to install
upgraded packages, but actually just reinstall the existing package.
* Fixed Windows problem with putting the install record in the right
place, and generating the ``pip`` script with Setuptools.
* Download links that include embedded spaces or other unsafe
characters (those characters get %-encoded).
* Fixed use of URLs in requirement files, and problems with some blank
* Turn some tar file errors into warnings.
* Renamed to ``pip``, and to install you now do ``pip install
* Added command ``pip zip PACKAGE`` and ``pip unzip PACKAGE``. This
is particularly intended for Google App Engine to manage libraries
to stay under the 1000-file limit.
* Some fixes to bundles, especially editable packages and when
creating a bundle using unnamed packages (like just an svn
repository without ``#egg=Package``).
* Added an option ``--install-option`` to pass options to pass
arguments to ``setup.py install``
* ``.svn/`` directories are no longer included in bundles, as these
directories are specific to a version of svn -- if you build a
bundle on a system with svn 1.5, you can't use the checkout on a
system with svn 1.4. Instead a file ``svn-checkout.txt`` is
included that notes the original location and revision, and the
command you can use to turn it back into an svn checkout. (Probably
unpacking the bundle should, maybe optionally, recreate this
information -- but that is not currently implemented, and it would
require network access.)
* Avoid ambiguities over project name case, where for instance
MyPackage and mypackage would be considered different packages.
This in particular caused problems on Macs, where ``MyPackage/`` and
``mypackage/`` are the same directory.
* Added support for an environmental variable
``$PIP_DOWNLOAD_CACHE`` which will cache package downloads, so
future installations won't require large downloads. Network access
is still required, but just some downloads will be avoided when
* Always use ``svn checkout`` (not ``export``) so that
``tag_svn_revision`` settings give the revision of the package.
* Don't update checkouts that came from ``.pybundle`` files.
* Improve error text when there are errors fetching HTML pages when
* Improve bundles: include empty directories, make them work with
* If you use ``-E env`` and the environment ``env/`` doesn't exist, a
new virtual environment will be created.
* Fix ``dependency_links`` for finding packages.
* Fixed a NameError exception when running pip outside of a
* Added HTTP proxy support (from Prabhu Ramachandran)
* Fixed use of ``hashlib.md5`` on python2.5+ (also from Prabhu
* Initial release
Keywords: easy_install distutils setuptools egg virtualenv
Classifier: Development Status :: 5 - Production/Stable
Classifier: Intended Audience :: Developers
Classifier: License :: OSI Approved :: MIT License
Classifier: Topic :: Software Development :: Build Tools
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 2
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 2.5
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 2.6
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 2.7
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 3
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 3.1
Classifier: Programming Language :: Python :: 3.2