shlomi-fish-homepage / t2 / open-source / contributions / index.html.wml

#include '../template.wml'

#include "xhtml/1.x/std/toc.wml"

<latemp_subject "Contributions Made to external Open-Source Projects" />

<b>Last Updated:</b> 4-October-2004.

<h2 id="toc">Table of Contents</h2>

<toc />

<h2 id="gimp"><a href="">GIMP - The GNU Image 
Manipulation Program</a></h2>

I wrote the so-called gradient-fu patch, which adds Procedural Database (or
PDB) handlers to manipulate gradients. This patch was written and re-written
for several versions of the GIMP, and was finally integrated in the 2.1.x
branch (which will lead to GIMP 2.2.0), with some help by Michael Natterer.

Afterwards, I added a rudimentary PDB entry to gimpressionist. Seeing its
code could use a lot of refactoring, I started a heavy refactoring of the 
gimpressionist code, and am now its maintainer. This was followed by a small
amount of bug squashing and cleanups.

<h2 id="subversion"><a href="">Subversion - A Compelling Version 
Control System</a></h2>

I started out by bug-squashing some bugs I found in the 
<a href="">Issue Tracker</a>.
The largest contribution I did was adding a <tt>--config-dir</tt> directive
to the Subversion clients, to specify a different directory where the 
configuration files reside. The original motive for this, was to fix the
test suite when ran using a configuration that breaks it.

After some break, I 
<a href="">worked 
on the get_locations() patch</a> which enabled tracing the past locations
of nodes in the Subversion repository. (which is useful for performing some
operations). This patch took a lot of research, a lot work, and I received a 
lot of help from different people. Eventually, a reworked version of the
Patch, was applied by Peter N. Lundblad.

<h2 id="perl5"><a href="">Perl 5 Core</a></h2>

I contributed some patches to 
<a href="">the perl 5 core 
documentation</a> to make it clearer and easier to understand.

<h2 id="syscalltrack"><a href="">Syscalltrack - A Framework
for Tracking System Calls</a></h2>

I contributed many cleanups and refactorings to a Perl 5 script that generated
code out of system calls definitions. As an appreciation of my work, I and
all the other contributors got a T-shirt with the Syscalltrack logo.

Later on, I did some work on the project's web-site.

<h2 id="www-form"><a href="">WWW::Form - a Perl Module 
for Web Forms Managament</a></h2>

I encountered WWW::Form because I looked for an easy way to handle Web forms 
in Perl. After experimenting with it a bit I discovered that there were more
stuff there that I needed (and added it to my copy), so I contacted the author,
<a href="">Benjamin Schmaus</a> and he was quite
cooperative. Eventually, I also discovered some 
<a href="">Cross Site 
Scripting bugs</a> there, which were also fixed. Other than that, the module
was extended, improved, and a rudimentary test suite was written for it.

Ben and I have since been chatting using Instant Messaging.

<h2 id="freecell-pro"><a href="">Freecell 

Freecell Pro is a feature-ful implementation of the solitaire card game 
<a href="">Freecell</a> for Win32. Being
the author of 
<a href="">Freecell 
Solver</a>, I wanted to integrate it into Freecell Pro. Thus, I reached
one of the Freecell Pro core developers and current maintainer, 
<a href="$(ROOT)/open-source/interviews/adrian-ettlinger.html">Adrian 
Ettlinger</a>. Adrian was eager to incorporate my solver as well, and we
cooperated on incoroporating it. 

The two programs had some incompatibility problems, which had to be 
resolved by Adrian and me. Eventually, however, the integration was performed
successfully. Adrian and I became friends, and we have been talking by
E-mail since then.