Certain non-Latin field name in a class always cause a crash with Unity Editor on Mac machine.

Issue #568 open
j s created an issue

Hi.

I bought it from Asset store and it’s very good asset for me.

I have used it very well with Windows machine but I have a little problem with Mac.

I’m Korean and sometimes I write code with Korean characters.

So far, I had used only windows machine for Android build.

But recently I started to use mac machine for iOS build.

I found a bug of Odin Inspector, so I report it.

1. What happened?

When I use 7 or more Korean characters for a field name in a class,

Unity Editor crashes if I try to modify the field with Mac machine.

I have no problem with Windows machine.

I just temporary avoid the problem by changing the field name with English characters.

2. How can we reproduce it?

If you write a field name with Korean, Chinese or Japanese characeter and the length is 7 or longer,

you may not be able to change the value in Unity Editor on Mac machine because of a crash.

Example code will be like this:

==================================================

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

public class NonLatinFieldNameBugOnMacUnity : MonoBehaviour
{
public string 한글한글한글한글 = ““; // Eight Korean characters
public string 汉语汉语汉语汉语 = ““; // Eight Chinese characters
public string ひらがなひらがな = ““; // Eight Japanese characters
}

==================================================

I can modify the field if Odin Inspector is not imported.

And if the length of the field name is 6 or less, it also doesn’t crash.

3. If screenshots would help explain or demonstrate your issue, please include these.

-

4. What version of Unity are you using?

2018.4.8f1

the latest one

5. What version of Odin are you using? (See “Tools > Odin Inspector > About”)

2.1.4

the latest one

6. Do you have Editor Only mode enabled?

No

7. What operating system are you on?

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Comments (6)

  1. mSkull001
    • changed status to open

    My first guess would be that this is an issue with Unity itself. Odin Inspector shouldn't really care which characters you're using.

    Do you have a crash log? I can take a look at that and see if I can spot where the crash occurs.

    This should tell you where you can find the Unity log files: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

  2. j s reporter

    I also tried with Unity 2018.4.7 but it stil crashes. I also reported to Unity Technogies.

    I attached the log file. About 300 lines of the first part of the file have been deleted by me.

    The attached file contains the log:

    Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Invalid parameter not satisfying: aString != nil'

    and

    libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

    And it also contains stacktrace and log for theads of the process. But I don’t know what it means.

    It may be a problem of Odin, Unity Editor or Mac OS. But I have no idea of the problem.

    I hope this problem will be solved. Thank you.

  3. j s reporter

    I also tested with Unity 2018.4.8 and Odin 2.1.4 but still always crash happends.
    If I uninstall Odin Inspector, it works find on the Mac.

    The attached log file said the crash was happened at Sirenix.OdinInspector.Editor.InspectorUtilities.EndDrawPropertyTree.
    So I’m now guessing it’s a problem of property drawer of Odin inspector.

    It may be or may not be related to Unicode.
    https://unicode.org/reports/tr15/
    Windows uses Normalization Form C (NFC) and Mac uses Normalization Form D (NFD).
    But I don’t know why it crashes only if the length of field name is 7 or more of Korean characters and I tried to modify it.
    It doesn’t crash if the length of field name is 6 or less.

  4. Log in to comment