SLEPc: Scalable Library for Eigenvalue Problem Computations
|Authors:||Jose E. Roman
|Organization:||Universitat Politecnica de Valencia, Spain|
SLEPc, the Scalable Library for Eigenvalue Problem Computations, is a software package for the solution of large sparse eigenvalue problems on parallel computers. It can be used for the solution of problems formulated in either standard or generalized form, as well as other related problems such as the singular value decomposition and the nonlinear eigenproblem.
The emphasis of the software is on methods and techniques appropriate for problems in which the associated matrices are sparse. Therefore, most of the methods offered by the library are projection methods such as Krylov-Schur or Jacobi-Davidson. It also provides built-in support for spectral transformation such as shift-and-invert.
SLEPc is built on top of PETSc the Portable Extensible Toolkit for Scientific Computation. It can be considered an extension of PETSc providing all the functionality necessary for the solution of eigenvalue problems.
The Users Manual as well as the HTML man pages for the detailed reference of each individual SLEPc routines are included in the SLEPc distribution and can also be found at the SLEPc online documentation.
The main reference for SLEPc is the following paper (see other references at the SLEPc website):
- V. Hernandez, J. E. Roman, and V. Vidal, SLEPc: A Scalable and Flexible Flexible Toolkit for the Solution of Eigenvalue Problems, ACM Trans. Math. Softw. 31, pp. 351-362 (2005). [DOI]
The installation procedure of SLEPc is very similar to that of PETSc. Briefly, the environment variables $SLEPC_DIR and $PETSC_DIR must be set, then the script configure is executed and finally the libraries are built with the command make. More details can be found in the Users Manual or in the online installation instructions.
The development of SLEPc has been partially supported by the following grants:
- Oficina de Ciencia i Tecnologia, Generalitat Valenciana, CTIDB/2002/54.
- Direccio General d'Investigacio i Transferencia de Tecnologia, Generalitat Valenciana, GV06/091.
- Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovacion, TIN2009-07519.
- Ministerio de Economia y Competitividad, TIN2013-41049-P.
- Agencia Estatal de Investigacion, TIN2016-75985-P.
Copyright (c) 2002-2018, Universitat Politecnica de Valencia, Spain
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
This license DOES NOT apply to any software that may be obtained via the --download-package option of the SLEPc configuration. Each of those packages are covered by their own licenses.