Moved to Github
Please use that repository for issue tracking (and forking). The same Transifex repository is being used for translations.
A Django application which provides country choices for use with forms, and a country field for models.
To use the flags, use the django.contrib.staticfiles app added in Django 1.3 (or django-staticfiles application for previous Django versions).
A country field for Django models that provides all ISO 3166-1 countries as choices.
CountryField is based on Django's CharField, providing choices corresponding to the official ISO 3166-1 list of countries (with a default max_length of 2).
Consider the following model using a CountryField:
from django.db import models from django_countries import CountryField class Person(models.Model): name = models.CharField(max_length=100) country = CountryField()
Any Person instance will have a country attribute that you can use to get details of the person's country:
>>> person = Person(name='Chris', country='NZ') >>> person.country Country(code='NZ') >>> person.country.name u'New Zealand' >>> person.country.flag u'/static/flags/nz.gif'
This object (person.country in the example) is a Country instance, which is described below.
The Country object
An object used to represent a country, instanciated with a two character country code.
It can be compared to other objects as if it was a string containing the country code, and it's __unicode__ method returns the country code.
- Contains the full country name.
- Contains a URL to the flag. 'flags/[lowercasecountrycode].gif' is appended to the STATIC_URL setting, or if that isn't set, the MEDIA_URL setting.
The django_countries.countries module contains some constants which can be used to generate choices lists for a Django Select form field.
- A tuple of two part tuples, each consisting of a country code and the corresponding nicely titled (and translatable) country name.
- A tuple, similar to COUNTRIES, but also includes duplicates for countries that contain a comma (i.e. the non-comma'd version).
- A dictionary where each key is a country code and each value is the corresponding official capitalised ISO 3166-1 English country name.