- * If the user asked for our exit code then don't start a
- * pager or we would end up reporting its exit code instead.
- if (!DIFF_OPT_TST(&rev.diffopt, EXIT_WITH_STATUS) &&
- check_pager_config("diff") != 0)
* Do we have --cached and not have a pending object, then
+void setup_diff_pager(struct diff_options *opt)
+ * If the user asked for our exit code, then either they want --quiet
+ * or --exit-code. We should definitely not bother with a pager in the
+ * former case, as we will generate no output. Since we still properly
+ * report our exit code even when a pager is run, we _could_ run a
+ * pager with --exit-code. But since we have not done so historically,
+ * and because it is easy to find people oneline advising "git diff
+ * --exit-code" in hooks and other scripts, we do not do so.
+ if (!DIFF_OPT_TST(opt, EXIT_WITH_STATUS) &&
+ check_pager_config("diff") != 0)