- Set the path to the root of the work tree.
+ Set the path to the working tree. The value will not be
+ used in combination with repositories found automatically in
+ a .git directory (i.e. $GIT_DIR is not set).
This can be overridden by the GIT_WORK_TREE environment
variable and the '--work-tree' command line option. It can be
- an absolute path or a relative path to the .git directory,
- either specified by --git-dir or GIT_DIR, or automatically
- If --git-dir or GIT_DIR are specified but none of
+ an absolute path or relative path to the directory specified by
+ Note: If --git-dir or GIT_DIR are specified but none of
--work-tree, GIT_WORK_TREE and core.worktree is specified,
- the current working directory is regarded as the root of the
-Note that this variable is honored even when set in a configuration
-file in a ".git" subdirectory of a directory, and its value differs
-from the latter directory (e.g. "/path/to/.git/config" has
-core.worktree set to "/different/path"), which is most likely a
-misconfiguration. Running git commands in "/path/to" directory will
-still use "/different/path" as the root of the work tree and can cause
-great confusion to the users.
+ the current working directory is regarded as the top directory
Enable the reflog. Updates to a ref <ref> is logged to the file