- Usually the program 'cleans up' the Subject: header line
- to extract the title line for the commit log message,
- among which (1) remove 'Re:' or 're:', (2) leading
- whitespaces, (3) '[' up to ']', typically '[PATCH]', and
- then prepends "[PATCH] ". This flag forbids this
- munging, and is most useful when used to read back
- 'git format-patch -k' output.
+ Usually the program removes email cruft from the Subject:
+ header line to extract the title line for the commit log
+ message. This option prevents this munging, and is most
+ useful when used to read back 'git format-patch -k' output.
+Specifically, the following are removed until none of them remain:
+* Leading and trailing whitespace.
+* Leading `Re:`, `re:`, and `:`.
+* Leading bracketed strings (between `[` and `]`, usually
+Finally, runs of whitespace are normalized to a single ASCII space
When -k is not in effect, all leading strings bracketed with '['