object, or a tag object that points at a commit object).
- A symlink of the form `refs/heads/'name'` to point at
- the current branch, if exists. It does not mean much if
- the repository is not associated with any working tree
+ A symref (see glossary) to the `refs/heads/` namespace
+ describing the currently active branch. It does not mean
+ much if the repository is not associated with any working tree
(i.e. a 'bare' repository), but a valid git repository
- *must* have such a symlink here. It is legal if the
- named branch 'name' does not (yet) exist.
+ *must* have the HEAD file; some porcelains may use it to
+ guess the designated "default" branch of the repository
+ (usually 'master'). It is legal if the named branch
+ 'name' does not (yet) exist. In some legacy setups, it is
+ a symbolic link instead of a symref that points at the current
A slightly deprecated way to store shorthands to be used