- Set the path to the working tree. The value will not be
- used in combination with repositories found automatically in
- a .git directory (i.e. $GIT_DIR is not set).
+ Set the path to the root of the working tree.
This can be overridden by the GIT_WORK_TREE environment
- variable and the '--work-tree' command line option. It can be
- an absolute path or relative path to the directory specified by
- Note: If --git-dir or GIT_DIR are specified but none of
+ variable and the '--work-tree' command line option.
+ The value can an absolute path or relative to the path to
+ the .git directory, which is either specified by --git-dir
+ or GIT_DIR, or automatically discovered.
+ If --git-dir or GIT_DIR is specified but none of
--work-tree, GIT_WORK_TREE and core.worktree is specified,
- the current working directory is regarded as the top
+ the current working directory is regarded as the top
+Note that this variable is honored even when set in a configuration
+file in a ".git" subdirectory of a directory and its value differs
+from the latter directory (e.g. "/path/to/.git/config" has
+core.worktree set to "/different/path"), which is most likely a
+misconfiguration. Running git commands in the "/path/to" directory will
+still use "/different/path" as the root of the work tree and can cause
+confusion unless you know what you are doing (e.g. you are creating a
+read-only snapshot of the same index to a location different from the
+repository's usual working tree).
Enable the reflog. Updates to a ref <ref> is logged to the file