"git branch --set-upstream" is deprecated and may be removed in a
relatively distant future. "git branch [-u|--set-upstream-to]" has
-been introduced with a saner order of arguments.
+been introduced with a saner order of arguments.
* When "git checkout" checks out a branch, it tells the user how far
behind (or ahead) the new branch is relative to the remote tracking
branch it builds upon. The message now also advises how to sync
- them up by pushing or pulling.
+ them up by pushing or pulling. This can be disabled with the
+ advice.statusHints configuration variable.
* "git config --get" used to diagnose presence of multiple
definitions of the same variable in the same configuration file as
* "git log --grep=<pcre>" learned to honor the "grep.patterntype"
configuration set to "perl".
- * "git replace -d <object>" now interprets <object>, instead of only
- accepting full hex object name.
+ * "git replace -d <object>" now interprets <object> as an extended
+ SHA-1 (e.g. HEAD~4 is allowed), instead of only accepting full hex
* "git rm $submodule" used to punt on removing a submodule working
tree to avoid losing the repository embedded in it. Because
recent git uses a mechanism to separate the submodule repository
from the submodule working tree, "git rm" learned to detect this
- case and removes the submodule working tree when it is safe.
+ case and removes the submodule working tree when it is safe.
* "git send-email" used to prompt for the sender address, even when
- the committer identi
fy is well specified (e.g. via user.name and
+ the committer identiy is well specified (e.g. via user.name and
user.email configuration variables). The command no longer gives
this prompt when not necessary.
* "git symbolic-ref" learned the "-d $symref" option to delete the
named symbolic ref, which is more intuitive way to spell it than
- "update-ref -d --no-deref".
+ "update-ref -d --no-deref".
* Compilation on Cygwin with newer header files are supported now.
- * The logic to generate the initial advertisement from
- "upload-pack" (what is invoked by "git fetch" on the other side
- of the connection) to list what refs are available in the
- repository has been optimized.
+ * The logic to generate the initial advertisement from "upload-pack"
+ (i.e. what is invoked by "git fetch" on the other side of the
+ connection) to list what refs are available in the repository has
* The logic to find set of attributes that match a given path has