Created by Stephen McDonald
Gamblor is a real-time casino app built for the 2012 Django Dash.
The idea was to provide a plugin system for games that can be played collaboratively in real-time using WebSockets, and to that end Gamblor was successful.
Check out the deployed version at http://gamblor.jupo.org.
Here are some of the highlights that were implemented over the 48 hours of the Dash:
- Initial games implemented are simple versions of Roulette and Craps.
- Real-time avatars, controlled by arrow keys - walk around the game room and bash into your friends.
- Authentication by Twitter or Facebook - profile photo is then used as the head of your avatar.
- Chat system - talk to other avatars, messages are displayed above each avatar in real-time.
- Gambling! Each user starts with $5000 and can bet against each game, simply drag chips onto a game to bet.
- Interface is almost entirely CSS - chips use 3D transforms and dashed borders.
Games plug straight into Gamblor and consist of a handful of interfaces, the primary one being the core.game.Game base class:
- Game.Form - defines the form class for the game, allowing arguments to be passed into each turn.
- Game.bet - handles each person betting, and any args provided by the game's form.
- Game.turn - implements the rules for a turn of the game.
- Game.outcome - called at the end of each turn for each player, with their betting args passed in, and returns a value to multiply their bet by, which would be zero for a loss.
Other interfaces for each game are:
- templates/games/<game-name>.html - template that renders the game visibly.
- static/css/games/<game-name>.css - stylesheet for the game.
As a one-man team for the first time in three years, this year was particularly gruelling! Here's a list of things I wanted to do, but fell short of time:
- Show chips dropped onto games.
- Add collision detection between avatars.
- Show actual amounts won and loss to all users.
- Show players who are in a particular game.
- Implement all the rules for Roulette and Craps.
- Let users drag chips onto each other to share money.
- Provide ways of getting more money (share on Twitter, random handouts).
- Sound effects!
- Walking animations for avatars.
- Animated dice for Craps.