News for pip
* Make ``-e`` work better with local hg repositories
* Fixed a regression with installing from svn repositories (when not
* Fixes when installing editable packages that put their source in a
subdirectory (like ``src/``).
* Improve ``pip -h``
* Added support for editable packages created from Git, Mercurial and Bazaar
repositories and ability to freeze them. Refactored support for version
* Do not use ``sys.exit()`` from inside the code, instead use a
return. This will make it easier to invoke programmatically.
* Put the install record in ``Package.egg-info/installed-files.txt``
(previously they went in
* Fix a problem with ``pip freeze`` not including ``-e svn+`` when an
svn structure is peculiar.
* Allow ``pip -E`` to work with a virtualenv that uses a different
version of Python than the parent environment.
* Fixed Win32 virtualenv (``-E``) option.
* Search the links passed in with ``-f`` for packages.
* Detect zip files, even when the file doesn't have a ``.zip``
extension and it is served with the wrong Content-Type.
* Installing editable from existing source now works, like ``pip
install -e some/path/`` will install the package in ``some/path/``.
Most importantly, anything that package requires will also be
installed by pip.
* Add a ``--path`` option to ``pip un/zip``, so you can avoid zipping
files that are outside of where you expect.
* Add ``--simulate`` option to ``pip zip``.
* Fixed small problem that prevented using ``pip.py`` without actually
* Fixed ``--upgrade``, which would download and appear to install
upgraded packages, but actually just reinstall the existing package.
* Fixed Windows problem with putting the install record in the right
place, and generating the ``pip`` script with Setuptools.
* Download links that include embedded spaces or other unsafe
characters (those characters get %-encoded).
* Fixed use of URLs in requirement files, and problems with some blank
* Turn some tar file errors into warnings.
* Renamed to ``pip``, and to install you now do ``pip install
* Added command ``pip zip PACKAGE`` and ``pip unzip PACKAGE``. This
is particularly intended for Google App Engine to manage libraries
to stay under the 1000-file limit.
* Some fixes to bundles, especially editable packages and when
creating a bundle using unnamed packages (like just an svn
repository without ``#egg=Package``).
* Added an option ``--install-option`` to pass options to pass
arguments to ``setup.py install``
* ``.svn/`` directories are no longer included in bundles, as these
directories are specific to a version of svn -- if you build a
bundle on a system with svn 1.5, you can't use the checkout on a
system with svn 1.4. Instead a file ``svn-checkout.txt`` is
included that notes the original location and revision, and the
command you can use to turn it back into an svn checkout. (Probably
unpacking the bundle should, maybe optionally, recreate this
information -- but that is not currently implemented, and it would
require network access.)
* Avoid ambiguities over project name case, where for instance
MyPackage and mypackage would be considered different packages.
This in particular caused problems on Macs, where ``MyPackage/`` and
``mypackage/`` are the same directory.
* Added support for an environmental variable
``$PIP_DOWNLOAD_CACHE`` which will cache package downloads, so
future installations won't require large downloads. Network access
is still required, but just some downloads will be avoided when
* Always use ``svn checkout`` (not ``export``) so that
``tag_svn_revision`` settings give the revision of the package.
* Don't update checkouts that came from ``.pybundle`` files.
* Improve error text when there are errors fetching HTML pages when
* Improve bundles: include empty directories, make them work with
* If you use ``-E env`` and the environment ``env/`` doesn't exist, a
new virtual environment will be created.
* Fix ``dependency_links`` for finding packages.
* Fixed a NameError exception when running pip outside of a
* Added HTTP proxy support (from Prabhu Ramachandran)
* Fixed use of ``hashlib.md5`` on python2.5+ (also from Prabhu
* Initial release