=== NOTATOR ===
A sheet music processor
Copyright (c) 2011 Tobias Dammers
All rights reserved.
For licensing information, please refer to the enclosed LICENSE file.
=== BUILDING FROM SOURCE ===
--- debian squeeze ---
1. Get the build requirements:
- ghc, the Glasgow Haskell Compiler, version 6.12.1 or newer
- the Graphics.Rendering.Cairo package (Haskell bindings for libcairo)
- the Text.ParserCombinators.Parsec package (Haskell's Parsec library)
- GNU make
For debian, this means you need to install these packages:
ghc6 libghc6-cairo-dev libghc6-parsec2-dev make
If you want to build the documentation, you will also need:
- the DocBook to HTML XSL stylesheets
- DBLatex (to generate PDF documentation)
The debian packages:
xsltproc docbook-xsl dblatex
You will also need a suitable music font; no font is included in the source
distribution itself, but several third-party fonts should work well:
- Musical Symbols, available for free (as in beer) download somewhere on
the internet. It's a bit unclear what you are and aren't allowed to do
with this font, or what the exact license terms are.
- One of the proprietary fonts that ship with Finale: Petrucci, Maestro,
or Engraver. If you own a copy of Finale, you should have one or more of
these on your system.
- The shareware Fughetta font, available at
This font can be used free of charge for personal use; it lacks a few
symbols that Notator will substitute from a suitable serif font, which
means dynamics will not look pretty.
Neither of these is compatible with Notator's licensing model, which is why
I can't include them in the distribution myself.
2. Build notator.
cd into notator's /src directory and type:
And then, as root:
$ make install
This will install notator into /usr/local; to uninstall, use:
$ make uninstall
3. Build examples.
cd into notator's /examples and type `make'.
4. Build documentation.
cd into notator's /doc directory and type `make'. This will build html and