Python module to page output to the screen and get console dimensions.
It was meant to be included in standard library http://bugs.python.org/issue8408
- 1.1 (stable)
- Python 3 compatibility
- echo() helper function for unbuffered output (in Py3 output doesn't appear immediately on screen unless it ends with newline)
- 1.0 (stable)
- getch() now returns list of chars for special keys
#1when special key skipped several pages)
- page() callbacks receive obligatory pagenumber param
- default page() callback now shows page number
- getch() now returns list of chars for special keys (fixes bug
- 0.2 (stable)
- do not insert blank line between pages
- 0.1 (stable)
- shows content page by page
- allows to get console/terminal dimensions
- works on Windows
- works on Linux
Return width of available window in characters. If detection fails, return value of standard width 80. Coordinate of the last character on a line is -1 from returned value.
Return available window height in characters or 25 if detection fails. Coordinate of the last line is -1 from returned value.
Wait for keypress and return character or a list of characters. Arrows and special keys generate a sequence of characters, so if there are extra symbols in input buffer, this function returns list.
..function:: page(content, [pagecallback=prompt])
Output content iterable, calling pagecallback function after each page with page number as a parameter. Default prompt() callback shows page number with 'Press any key . . . ' prompt and waits for keypress.
Print msg to the screen without linefeed and flush the output.
Excellent tutorials for Win32 Console by Adrian Worley http://www.adrianxw.dk/SoftwareSite/index.html Console Reference on MSDN http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682087%28VS.85%29.aspx
Public Domain Curses library maintained by William McBrine http://pdcurses.sourceforge.net/
Ioctl (input/output control) introduction from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ioctl Linux Programmer's Manual - ioctls for terminals and serial lines http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man4/tty_ioctl.4.html