Backup and Restore
Full Backup / Restore
The best way to recover from data loss is to have a full backup of your machine. With this backup you can easily restore your machine to a working condition.
The procedure below explains how to selectively backup only the files essential to your MoinMoin installation. While there is no need to maintain both a full and a selective backup, having at least one of the two is strongly recommended.
If you want a backup of MoinMoin and your data, then backup the following:
- your data
- moin configuration, e.g. wikiconfig.py
- logging configuration, e.g. logging.conf
- moin script, e.g. moin.wsgi
- web server configuration, e.g. apache virtualhost config
- optional: moin code + dependencies; you should at least know which version you ran, so you can reinstall that version when you need to restore
To create a dump of all data stored in moinmoin (wiki items, user profiles), run the following command:
moin save --all-backends --file backup.moin
Please note that this file contains sensitive data like user profiles, wiki contents, so store your backups in a safe place that no unauthorized individual can access.
To restore all software and configuration files to their original place, create an empty wiki first:
moin moin -s -i # -s = create new storage # -i = create new index
To load the backup file into your empty wiki, run:
moin load --file backup.moin
Then build an index of the loaded data: