- New Features / API changes for XML bomb DoS protections:
The new features are only available when XML_BOMB_PROTECTION
new definitions (only available with XML_BOMB_PROTECTION):
new API functions (always available):
int XML_GetFeature(XML_Parser parser,
enum XML_FeatureEnum feature,
int XML_SetFeature(XML_Parser parser,
enum XML_FeatureEnum feature,
int XML_GetFeatureDefault(enum XML_FeatureEnum feature,
int XML_SetFeatureDefault(enum XML_FeatureEnum feature,
new XML_FeatureEnum members:
new XML_Error members:
Release 2.1.0 Sat March 24 2012
- Bug Fixes:
#1742315: Harmful XML_ParserCreateNS suggestion.
#2895533: CVE-2012-1147 - Resource leak in readfilemap.c.
#1785430: Expat build fails on linux-amd64 with gcc version>=4.1 -O3.
#1983953, 2517952, 2517962, 2649838:
Build modifications using autoreconf instead of buildconf.sh.
#2815947, #2884086: OBJEXT and EXEEXT support while building.
#1990430: CVE-2009-3720 - Parser crash with special UTF-8 sequences.
#2517938: xmlwf should return non-zero exit status if not well-formed.
#2517946: Wrong statement about XMLDecl in xmlwf.1 and xmlwf.sgml.
#2855609: Dangling positionPtr after error.
#2894085: CVE-2009-3560 - Buffer over-read and crash in big2_toUtf8().
#2958794: CVE-2012-1148 - Memory leak in poolGrow.
#2990652: CMake support.
#3010819: UNEXPECTED_STATE with a trailing "%" in entity value.
#3206497: Unitialized memory returned from XML_Parse.
#3287849: make check fails on mingw-w64.
#3496608: CVE-2012-0876 - Hash DOS attack.
#1749198: pkg-config support.
#3010222: Fix for bug #3010819.
#3312568: CMake support.
#3446384: Report byte offsets for attr names and values.
- New Features / API changes:
Added new API member XML_SetHashSalt() that allows setting an initial
value (salt) for hash calculations. This is part of the fix for
bug #3496608 to randomize hash parameters.
When compiled with XML_ATTR_INFO defined, adds new API member
XML_GetAttributeInfo() that allows retrieving the byte
offsets for attribute names and values (patch #3446384).
Added CMake build system.
See bug #2990652 and patch #3312568.
Added run-benchmark target to Makefile.in - relies on testdata module
present in the same relative location as in the repository.
Release 2.0.1 Tue June 5 2007
- Fixed bugs #1515266, #1515600: The character data handler's calling
of XML_StopParser() was not handled properly; if the parser was
stopped and the handler set to NULL, the parser would segfault.
- Fixed bug #1690883: Expat failed on EBCDIC systems as it assumed
some character constants to be ASCII encoded.
- Minor cleanups of the test harness.
- Fixed xmlwf bug #1513566: "out of memory" error on file size zero.
- Fixed outline.c bug #1543233: missing a final XML_ParserFree() call.
- Fixes and improvements for Windows platform:
bugs #1409451, #1476160, #1548182, #1602769, #1717322.
- Build fixes for various platforms:
HP-UX, Tru64, Solaris 9: patch #1437840, bug #1196180.
All Unix: #1554618 (refreshed config.sub/config.guess).
#1490371, #1613457: support both, DESTDIR and INSTALL_ROOT,
without relying on GNU-Make specific features.
#1647805: Patched configure.in to work better with Intel compiler.
- Fixes to Makefile.in to have make check work correctly:
bugs #1408143, #1535603, #1536684.
- Added Open Watcom support: patch #1523242.
Release 2.0.0 Wed Jan 11 2006
- We no longer use the "check" library for C unit testing; we
always use the (partial) internal implementation of the API.
- Report XML_NS setting via XML_GetFeatureList().
- Fixed headers for use from C++.
- XML_GetCurrentLineNumber() and XML_GetCurrentColumnNumber()
now return unsigned integers.
- Added XML_LARGE_SIZE switch to enable 64-bit integers for
byte indexes and line/column numbers.
- Updated to use libtool 1.5.22 (the most recent).
- Added support for AmigaOS.
- Some mostly minor bug fixes. SF issues include: #1006708,
#1021776, #1023646, #1114960, #1156398, #1221160, #1271642.
Release 1.95.8 Fri Jul 23 2004
- Major new feature: suspend/resume. Handlers can now request
that a parse be suspended for later resumption or aborted
altogether. See "Temporarily Stopping Parsing" in the
documentation for more details.
- Some mostly minor bug fixes, but compilation should no
longer generate warnings on most platforms. SF issues
include: #827319, #840173, #846309, #888329, #896188, #923913,
#928113, #961698, #985192.
Release 1.95.7 Mon Oct 20 2003
- Fixed enum XML_Status issue (reported on SourceForge many
times), so compilers that are properly picky will be happy.
- Introduced an XMLCALL macro to control the calling
convention used by the Expat API; this macro should be used
to annotate prototypes and definitions of callback
implementations in code compiled with a calling convention
other than the default convention for the host platform.
- Improved ability to build without the configure-generated
expat_config.h header. This is useful for applications
which embed Expat rather than linking in the library.
- Fixed a variety of bugs: see SF issues #458907, #609603,
#676844, #679754, #692878, #692964, #695401, #699323, #699487,
- Improved hash table lookups.
- Added more regression tests and improved documentation.
Release 1.95.6 Tue Jan 28 2003
- Added XML_FreeContentModel().
- Added XML_MemMalloc(), XML_MemRealloc(), XML_MemFree().
- Fixed a variety of bugs: see SF issues #615606, #616863,
#618199, #653180, #673791.
- Enhanced the regression test suite.
- Man page improvements: includes SF issue #632146.
Release 1.95.5 Fri Sep 6 2002
- Added XML_UseForeignDTD() for improved SAX2 support.
- Added XML_GetFeatureList().
- Defined XML_Bool type and the values XML_TRUE and XML_FALSE.
- Use an incomplete struct instead of a void* for the parser
(may not retain).
- Fixed UTF-8 decoding bug that caused legal UTF-8 to be rejected.
- Finally fixed bug where default handler would report DTD
events that were already handled by another handler.
Initial patch contributed by Darryl Miles.
- Removed unnecessary DllMain() function that caused static
linking into a DLL to be difficult.
- Added VC++ projects for building static libraries.
- Reduced line-length for all source code and headers to be
no longer than 80 characters, to help with AS/400 support.
- Reduced memory copying during parsing (SF patch #600964).
- Fixed a variety of bugs: see SF issues #580793, #434664,
#483514, #580503, #581069, #584041, #584183, #584832, #585537,
#596555, #596678, #598352, #598944, #599715, #600479, #600971.
Release 1.95.4 Fri Jul 12 2002
- Added support for VMS, contributed by Craig Berry. See
vms/README.vms for more information.
- Added Mac OS (classic) support, with a makefile for MPW,
contributed by Thomas Wegner and Daryle Walker.
- Added Borland C++ Builder 5 / BCC 5.5 support, contributed
by Patrick McConnell (SF patch #538032).
- Fixed a variety of bugs: see SF issues #441449, #563184,
#564342, #566334, #566901, #569461, #570263, #575168, #579196.
- Made skippedEntityHandler conform to SAX2 (see source comment)
- Re-implemented WFC: Entity Declared from XML 1.0 spec and
added a new error "entity declared in parameter entity":
see SF bug report #569461 and SF patch #578161
- Re-implemented section 5.1 from XML 1.0 spec:
see SF bug report #570263 and SF patch #578161
Release 1.95.3 Mon Jun 3 2002
- Added a project to the MSVC workspace to create a wchar_t
version of the library; the DLLs are named libexpatw.dll.
- Changed the name of the Windows DLLs from expat.dll to
libexpat.dll; this fixes SF bug #432456.
- Added the XML_ParserReset() API function.
- Fixed XML_SetReturnNSTriplet() to work for element names.
- Made the XML_UNICODE builds usable (thanks, Karl!).
- Allow xmlwf to read from standard input.
- Install a man page for xmlwf on Unix systems.
- Fixed many bugs; see SF bug reports #231864, #461380, #464837,
#466885, #469226, #477667, #484419, #487840, #494749, #496505,
#547350. Other bugs which we can't test as easily may also
have been fixed, especially in the area of build support.
Release 1.95.2 Fri Jul 27 2001
- More changes to make MSVC happy with the build; add a single
workspace to support both the library and xmlwf application.
- Added a Windows installer for Windows users; includes
- Added compile-time constants that can be used to determine the
- Removed a lot of GNU-specific dependencies to aide portability
among the various Unix flavors.
- Fix the UTF-8 BOM bug.
- Cleaned up warning messages for several compilers.
- Added the -Wall, -Wstrict-prototypes options for GCC.
Release 1.95.1 Sun Oct 22 15:11:36 EDT 2000
- Changes to get expat to build under Microsoft compiler
- Removed all aborts and instead return an UNEXPECTED_STATE error.
- Fixed a bug where a stray '%' in an entity value would cause an
- Defined XML_SetEndNamespaceDeclHandler. Thanks to Darryl Miles for
finding this oversight.
- Changed default patterns in lib/Makefile.in to fit non-GNU makes
Thanks to email@example.com for reporting and providing an
account to test on.
- The reference had the wrong label for XML_SetStartNamespaceDecl.
Reported by an anonymous user.
Release 1.95.0 Fri Sep 29 2000
Allows you to set a memory management suite to replace the
standard malloc,realloc, and free.
If you turn this feature on when namespace processing is in
effect, then qualified, prefixed element and attribute names
are returned as "uri|name|prefix" where '|' is whatever
separator character is used in namespace processing.
- Merged in features from perl-expat
o StartDoctypeDeclHandler takes 3 additional parameters:
sysid, pubid, has_internal_subset
o Many paired handler setters (like XML_SetElementHandler)
now have corresponding individual handler setters
o XML_GetInputContext for getting the input context of
the current parse position.
- Added reference material
- Packaged into a distribution that builds a sharable library