mote: modal text editor
What is it?
A spiritual fork or reimplementation of Vim, put together using Python, C++ and Qt. By utilizing GUI elements instead of relying on a text-based interface (e.g. ncurses) the user experience can be made more comprehensible and easily understood. Vim is a widely used and acknowledged text editor with an abundance of extensions. This project aims to be as compatible as it can be with Vim and remains a heavily keyboard-focused environment.
- Graphic equivalent of netrw/NERDTree
- Tab completion
- Go to file (think CMD-T or FuzzyFinder)
- Syntax highlighting using the same (if possible) syntax as Vim
- Vim modes: Normal, Insert, Visual etc.
- VCS integration (git, to start with)
- Split views, both horizontal and vertical
- No "invisible" buffers, all open files belong in a tab/view/whatchamacallit
- Diff (v-split) view
- Focus on keyboard navigation, not mouse
- Toggleable todo-list (to jump between "TODO" entries in the file)
- TextMate-ish snippets