This page contains a template for the elaborated use cases, some related documentation, and a section where all contributors can add their actual use cases.
Use case template
A template for the elaborated use cases is here: UDFR Use Case Template. For an example of (a first stab at) an actual use case description based on this template, have a look at this document: Search Web Interface Use Case
The template was adapted from the GDFR template, with the addition of an 'Issues' field. Please have a look at the comments below:
Please note that the template uses the US Letter format.
In order to make the final editing of the use cases somewhat easier, the template has three style definitions:
- ucHead: use this for the use case headings in the left-hand column;
- ucDesc: use this for the descriptions in the right-hand column, except:
- ucID: this is used only for the use case ID (top row, right-hand column)
I would suggest to stick to using only these styles (i.e. do not include any additional formatting of your own). This will make things much easier in case any last-minute layout changes are needed in the final document.
Naming conventions for use case IDs
I don't quite remember whether we already made any agreements on the naming of the use case identifiers (if we did and I somehow missed out on this, please let me know!). I would suggest to use a simple naming scheme where each name is more or less self-explanatory, e.g.: 'searchWebInterface', 'retrieveWebService', and so on (using mixedCamelCase to separate the individual words). Should this result in excessively long identifiers we should think of something else ...
During the 3 Feb 2010 conference call, we identified 4 possible actors:
- Registry User
- Registry Editor
- Registry System
- Client System
Looking at the GDFR template I'm not 100% sure what this is about exactly, and whether we need this at all. If anyone has any ideas on this please insert them here!
Elaborated use cases by category
- Add a new record via a web interface (Chou) Add New Record
- Update an existing record via a web interface (Chou) Update Record
- Amend Audit Trail (Spencer) Amend Audit Trail
- Rollback from Audit Record (Spencer) Rollback from Audit Trail
- Search records (either via web interface or web service) (JvdK): Search Records
- Browse records via a web interface (JvdK): Browse Records
- Browse Audit Trail (Spencer): Browse Audit Trail
- Use case 6 - Retrieve a record via a Web Interface (Pawletko): Retrieve record via Web Interface
- Use case 7 - Retrieve a record via a Web Service (Pawletko): Retrieve record via Web Service
- Use cases 8 and 9 - Export
- Use case 10 - Export format information for a format identification tool (Spencer): Format Information for Identification Tool
- Use case 15 - Display Audit Record (Spencer): Display Audit Record
Add 'storage' use cases here