VIM-PI (vim plugin index) (previously vim-addon-manager-known-repositories)
ZyX, Marc, Shougo are discussing how to move this all to the next level so that all - plugin manager (VAM, NeoBundle, PyPi etc) - users - distribution systems (Gentoo Portag, Nix, npackd)
can benefit the most.
We strongly welcome everybody who wants to contribute (also Pathogen and Vundle and .. lovers).
- list all known Vim plugins
- do so in a way that everybody who is interested can reuse the information
- provide hints about deprecations or replacements
- collaborate with interested parties (other plugin managers etc)
- maybe cerate a website which provides advanced features
- setup standards for dependency management if possible.
Marc Weber no longer thinks that it makes sense to create full distribution/dependency/... tools for all things out there. Instead he'll be working on a package manager managing multiple languages and operating systems. A lot of additional issues cannot be solved in VimL, eg supporting YouCompleteMe requires C/Python (thus Vim with Python support) and so one. The YPM will try to fix this all. Marc Weber will still maintain vim-pi and reply to requests.
You might also watch neovim which will focus on lua. We have to wait to understand in which ways this will affect plugin management for that Vim fork.
Open tickets, thanks
important contents of this repository
- The database files: db/*.json
- Manually maintained packages and patches db/*.vim
- The Vim supporting code: autoload/*.vim Suggested main entry ponit (default implementation): vam_known_repositories#Pool() It returns a list of all known plugins. Each plugin is a dictionary. An easy way to view contents is the :VAMPluginInfo command of VAM.
- python/*.py files: scripts to update the database files
- doc/*: additional documentation
If you're looking for code which actually knowns how to download the known plugins we recommend VAM or NeoBundle.
discussions going on:
http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/topic/vim%20plugin%20managment.html (bottom, which hooks do we need, how to compile supporting tools, how declare dependencies)
More discussions: Some additional discussions are taking place at vim-pi's bitbucket issue tracker.
API, move contents to database having a online store ?: https://bitbucket.org/vimcommunity/vim-pi/issue/80
cross plugin manager way to describe plugins to be installed: https://bitbucket.org/vimcommunity/vim-pi/issue/95 goals: allow external tools to install plugins (parallelization etc)
projects using vim-pi
Older vim-addon-manager-known-repository README contents:
This repository is an extension to http://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager (and NeoBundle).
It is the "default source" of descriptions where to get which addons for vim-addon-manager.
Have a look at all supported plugins online: http://mawercer.de/~marc/vam/index.php
For speed reasons vam#install#LoadKnownRepos() is used to load the repo as needed only.
As VAM this repository is mantainained by ZyX and Marc Weber
- Contribute to db/scmsources.vim which contains all the git,svn,mercurial,.. sources
db/vimorgsources.json contains a dump from www.vim.org which is generated automatically. The default implementation merges both prefering the source control ones
Issues which may cause us to immediately remove plugins†:
- security issues or other similar sever issues (didn't happen yet)
Issues which may cause us to deprecate plugins, which means they can be installed but a warning will be shown†:
there are other plugins doing the same, but better - unless the less useful plugins are a significant simpler and people indiciate that they are still using it.
a plugin is obviously broken in a way so that its causing more harm than value.
† If in doubt create a bitbucket ticket and let's discuss the issue.
There are two plugins: one called align an done called Align. This will cause trouble on Windows !
VAM-KR REPOSITORY IS NOW A MIRROR OF VIM-PI. YOU SHOULD POST ALL ISSUES AND PULL REQUESTS TO THE LATTER. ANY CHANGES TO THIS REPOSITORY RESULTING IN A MERGE CONFLICT WITH UPSTREAM WILL BE DELETED BY A CRON JOB.