Voxeliens is a retro-style arcade shooter for the PC, in which you defend your planet from waves of descending enemies. The gameplay is simple and fast paced as you battle your way through different environments using a variety of powerups. Think Space Invaders would have been better in 3D? You’re right, so download Voxeliens for free and play today!
- Simple and fast-paced gameplay. Test your trigger finger and save the planet!
- Attractive voxel-based graphics capture the retro gaming spirit.
- Available for all recent versions of Windows (early Linux version).
- Everything ‘Space Invaders’ wishes it could have been!
- Windows: You can get Voxeliens for Windows from our download page. We do not recommend trying to compile from source on Windows
- Linux: We do not have pre-built binaries for Linux so you will need to compile yourself from source. You can find instructions for this at Install.rst. Be aware that compiling may be difficult as this game was developed as a commercial project and only limited effort was put into making it compile on other systems.
Playing the game
The objectives of Voxeliens are to survive as many waves of enemies as possible and accumulate the highest score. The default controls are as follows:
- W: Move forward
- S: Move back
- A: Move left
- D: Move right
- Mouse movement: Rotate camera
- Mouse click: Fire cannon
- In addition be aware of the following:
- Powerups can be collected for better weapons.
- An extra life will be gained for every 10,000 points.
- Bonuses are awarded for completing a level quickly.
- Enemies will descend and can crash into hills/trees, but this will cost you points.
License and credits
Voxeliens is released as open-source software under the MIT license. Note that the license contained in the prebuilt binaries is actually the previous commercial license as we don't want to rebuild and retest these packages, but you can disregard this.
You can see the credits for a list of the people, software, and resources involved in making the game.