Thu Apr 23 17:04:59 1992 Per Hammarlund (perham at perham.nada.kth.se)
* Stepped up the version number, 0.9.6.
* Added edict-add-word, which basically initiates a private
dictionary session without starting with a word.
Wed Apr 22 09:30:14 1992 Per Hammarlund (perham at perham.nada.kth.se)
* Changed the declaration of the *edict-rmoaji-remaps* to be a
defvar followed by a setq.
* Rewrote and corrected some of the short getting started guide at
the beginning of edict.el.
Mon Apr 6 06:58:59 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Add eval-when around defstruct. The compiler half of
eval-when is in a patch that is loading into the compiler
* Make the english-plural rule exclude ies.
* Add edict-plural-ies.
* Call edict-expand-string with the right arguments.
Fri Apr 3 20:38:03 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Add english-plurals rule.
* Add syntax types.
Thu Apr 2 02:18:27 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Add rules for �����Ǥ� and their conjucations.
* forgot to exclude newlines in edict-slash-internal.
* forgot to exclude newlines in edict-char-bracket.
* Forgot to exclude newlines in edict-line-has-english.
* Forgot to exclude newlines in edict-parse-entry.
* Forgot to exclude newlines in pattern for finding english defs
Wed Apr 1 13:28:18 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Put the cursor at the right place when creating an entry and
there's no english.
* Sent to perham
* A bunch of minor tuneups to various things...
* Make the dictionary-editing commands go through a common wrapper
to keep the electric stuff consistent.
* Add similar command for /.
* Add edict-open-bracket, edict-close-bracket, in dictionary
* Allow edict-new-entry to take an argument. <= 4 copies the
kanji word into the new entry; >4 (i.e. c-U c-U) copies both
the word and definition, allowing you to enter an alternate
* Split out edict-insert-entry from edict-add-entry-to-file,
and add an inverse: edict-parse-entry.
* Allow a list of translations in edict-add-entry-to-file.
* Allow windows to be as small as emacs will allow. This is
important, because when we look for a suitably-sized window,
this is all the bigger we look for.
* Add some more comments, and convert and/or/one-armed-if
expressions into when/unless, since those are now provided
by the (require 'cl). This makes a number of things more
* Move edict-test-rule and edict-test-string to edict-test.el.
* Merge in Per's changes below.
* Add a bit more commentary.
* Fix mising "w" and "W" in remap table.
Tue Mar 31 06:16:26 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* edict-subst-affix's args can now be any function of one argument
(the matched substring).
* Optimize edict-ignore in edict-subst-modified-affix, and
add it to edict-subst-affix.
* Add ��ʤ� rule to try looking up number expressions without
Mon Mar 30 10:16:21 1992 Per Hammarlund (perham at perham.nada.kth.se)
* Made sure that edict-new-entry put a closing '/' at the end of
the current row. This only works when the user does
edict-new-entry, not for save. Sigh.
* Up version number 0.9.5
* Added handling of SKK in edict-set-henkan. Crude
Mon Mar 30 00:19:05 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Don't insert  after hiragana-only words, either!
* Electric dictionary editing: When adding entries,
Tab now moves between fields, and Return starts a new entry
on the next line. It arranges to be in nihongo mode when
appropriate. Also, it no longer inserts  after katakana
Sun Mar 29 14:03:09 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Replace (eval (cons 'and kludge with every.
* filter out some ��->�Ƥ� in ���ʤ�conjunctive
* Optimize edict-identity in rule RHS's
* Use regexp character categories where possible.
* fix typo: window-next -> next-window.
Fri Mar 27 02:02:58 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Get around nemacs regexp bug that was still deleting the katakan
long-sound dash even after I fixed the regexp. (Off-by-one
error on the handling of the end of a range. Sigh.)
Thu Mar 26 20:56:00 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Whitespace list accidentally included the katakana long-sound dash.
* The conjunctive rules patterns only allowed kanji, not
Wed Mar 25 17:57:09 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Merge in Per's change to edict-eigo-one-word.
* Up the version to 0.9.4
* Make whitespace stuff include all the different funny chars.
* Show the dictionary version number(s) after loading them.
* Replace '(lambda ...) with (function (lambda ...)).
* Make the default edict pathname be just "edictj", so it searches
load path to find it. This should minimize installation
headaches. You can still override this in your .emacs file.
* Use load-path to search for edict files if they're relative.
* Handle �� and punctuation in kanji insertion. Also, let a
couple of rules work with katakana stems (i.e. ����-derived stuff).
Mon Mar 23 11:18:24 1992 Per Hammarlund (perham at perham.nada.kth.se)
* Fixed a bug that caused it not to find a english word at the
beginning of the buffer. It ran backward over (point-min).
Change made in "edict-eigo-one-word", >= to >.
Mon Mar 23 07:37:03 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Convert to JIS
* Increment version to 0.9.3
* Add edict-insert, edict-insert-english, edict-insert-���ܸ�.
The main one to use is edict-insert, which figures out what
language to insert based on the last lookup.
* Disallow the �� -> �� -> �� path.
* For the various �ޤ� rules, filter out cases derived from �ޤ���.
* Don't apply the potential-form rules if there's just the suffix.
* ���ƻ졼�� -- Be a whole lot more careful about what we consider
an adverb/adjective, based on the previous form. This should
eliminate a lot of ������ verbs from having spurious forms.
* I decided that this filtering scheme isn't so bad after all,
if the decision is made on just the preceding version.
Having parts of speech would still be better, since it would
localize the knowledge of what part of speech an ending could
be. But I think this will do for now.
* Separate out (��|��|���)�� case from ��ư�졼�� to ��ư�졼����,
because this case must not include ��. ���� should not become
��. ���� is just a non-grammatical conversational case, anyway,
and only occurs after �� so far as I know.
* Add more filtering to problematic conjunctive forms.
* Add filtering to filter out rules which are locally plausible,
but could not be applied if what was removed is taken into
consideration. eg �Ԥ� -> �Ԥ� -> �Ԥ� is not legit, even
though each individual step is, because the first step is based
on the assumption that it's an adverb, and turns it into an
adjective. The second assumes its the conjunctive form of a
verb, and tries to find the dictionary form.
This first pass is pretty bogus. What it does is try to deduce
it from what endings it has had along the way. This can't
really work, because there's no reasonable way to determine
whether the ending in question is applying to this root, or
or some further extention of this root.
The right thing, is for rules to filter by/assert a part of speach.
But first, I'm going to try this, just to get things going.
* Remove redundant rule: �֤����פ����̥롼��
* Merge in Per's changes. Up the version to 0.9.2
* Provide error checking for unrooted patterns, so that last
bug can't happen again.
* Fix �ֲ����פ�����conjunctive rules to only match at the end.
Sat Mar 21 10:53:51 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Eliminate duplicates in the result when we have substring matches.
* Potential form's rules were completely mangled; they were all
clones of the same version, as if incomplete edited or
something. I fixed them up, and added another test to the suit.
The test suite happened to test the one case that the rest were
cloned from, and ����ư��, which worked.
* Anti-infinite-recursion check didn't catch quite all the
possible ways. Also, in similar circumstances, it could
put duplicates into the result.
* Add �� to other-suffixes, and Ⱦ to other-prefixes.
Fri Mar 20 11:14:00 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Remove punctuation before lookup.
* Make the windowing code more robust when editing in a tiny
Thu Mar 19 15:03:52 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Canonicalize number expressions.
Tue Mar 17 10:35:45 1992 Per Hammarlund (perham at perham.nada.kth.se)
* Added to a regexp in edict-display so that english verbs that
have a dictionary entry like /to XXX/ shall be treated as exact
matches in the match-list.
* fixed a small index error in edict-remap-romaji.
Tue Mar 17 10:06:48 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Merged in my changes below into 0.9, and made it 0.9.1
Mon Mar 16 00:28:23 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Prevent infinite recursion if rules have a loop.
* Add conjunctive form. (�ꤤ�����ꤤ���Ӥ�), and ���롿���롿��
Mon Mar 16 09:38:44 1992 Per Hammarlund (perham at perham.nada.kth.se)
* Set the version to 0.9 and the date to current.
* Added functions to clean up a eigo string that, for whatever
reason has been written in both ASCII and JIS/EUC. For instance
the string "str�����", will be tranformed to plain "strange".
The remap relation can be done better, and it should probably be
more complete. How about a complete new nemacs-string* function
* Changed the function edict-find-word-at-point that finds an
english word to take eigo written in Japanese [��-����-��] into
* Rewrote the version code, more things to be able to keep the
date and the version on different variables.
* Added/rewrote the "Getting Started Guide" in the file edict.el.
* Started on the documentation. edict.texinfo, Took out a number
of lines from the edict.el file.
* Changed the name of the variable *private-edict-file* to
*edict-private-file*, just to keep variable names consistent.
Mon Mar 16 00:28:23 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Add �����ޡ��͡�ĺ���������������
* Add ���� to ��ư�졼����
* We have to add 1 to the window height because they include the
mode line. This was hiding the last entry found when there were
more than 3 of them!
* Add ���ƻ졼���餺.
* ��ư�� ���� ��ư�졼���Ľ�ư�졼���ޤ�ʬ���Ƥ��������ֺ����夲���
* Add the ���� verb endings as alternates to ���ʤ�, and
Sun Mar 15 00:01:05 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* �֤��ơ����ơפ����̥롼��: Fix bug introduced in fixing another
* Add �� to the list of endings that ��ư�� apply to. This is
actually confusing things a bit, but in a way that helps the user.
Logically, if an adverb appears before a verb which is sometimes a
��ư��, it probably is modifying the verb, not the other way
around. But the user was probably asking about the adverb, since
the ��ư�� are all very basic words the user probably knows. I
suppose I could start returning ��ư�� in addition to the main
verb, so the user would see these as well. I suspect this would
be more distraction than benefit. If the user doesn't know the
part that was stripped off, he can just mark it, and inquire.
* Add �ʤ� as ��ư��. Add �������Ρ����פȡֹԤ��פȡ־夲���
* Be more careful about ordering the results.
* Remove debugging notify accidentally left inserted.
* Allow modifiers rule after ����ư��.
* Correct an error in �֤���פ����̥롼��.
* Suppress single-kanji matches unless they're needed.
* Didn't have anything for handling ������!!
* Forgot to drop the ���� from humble form.
* Fix up adjectives once more.
* fix humble's regexp
* �ɸ����Ƭ�� tried to be both prefix and suffix(!)
* �Ƥ��ޤ� and �Ǥ��ޤ� cant be combined after all.
* Fix incorrect kanji in other-prefixes.
* Coallesce the �Ƥ��ޤ� family into a single rule, and make it
properly preserve the �ơ���� distinction. No need for
past-tense forms since they're regular; the past-tense rules
will handle it.
* Apply the prefixes only to ����
* Added ���� to suffixes.
* Add basic affixes used with ̾�졣
* Explicit rules for ���ʤ����ʤ���
* Get ���ƻ� negative right, and include more formal varients.
* ʿ��̾�Ρ֤��� as honorific prefix, in addition to ��.
* Remove ���� from ��ư��; that gets covered elsewise anyway.
* Minimum length on ��ư��.
* Only do command if at least two chars long.
* Tighten up a couple more rules wrt ���� only after ���� or ����.
* Tighten up various rules wrt legal verb endings. No �š���, etc.
* Typo in �֤��褦�פ����̥롼��, ����褦�ס��֤��褦��
* Forgot a few '$'s on the ends of patterns.
* Add a complete set of volitionals. This pretty much completes
* Supply a few more ��ư�� and other endings.
* Irregular �褿���롢�������롢��������
* Avoid generating �� or �� as entire words.
* Fix up ��������Ρ֤����פ������� -> ���ʤΡ֤����פ�������
* Add an ����ư�� version of the desiderative rule.
* Added �������� to desideratives.
* Tighten up ���ޤ���
* Tightened up adjective rules so they don't go off on ���롣
* Added Irregular ��ޤ������ޤ���
* Irregular �褤, ����
* Add irregular info for ���ʤ�, �ʤ�.
* Correct mistaken rule for ���ʤ�.
Sat Mar 14 16:22:07 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at taunton.crl.dec.com)
* Add edict-test-string.
* Add debugging feature to edict-expand-string to help track down
what rules do what in the event of surprises.
* Handle ���� as part of the �ơ��� rules. Faster, and doesn't
generate spurious instance of plain past.
* Include the zenkaku versions of the punctuation in
* Clean up some lurking problems in edict-clean-up-(kanji|eigo)
* Fix a problem with exact matches in the substitution routines.
* Make edict-expand-string more aggressive in preventing possible
* Add ����� rule for its irregularity.
* Add ����� rule for its irregularity.
* Add �Ԥ� special rule for its irregularity
* Additions to improve window handling
Add private dictionary, and commands to add to it.
Add morphologic analysis so that the dictionary forms
of words can be found from inflections/affixes/etc.
Add rule for plain negative, plain imperitive.
Add rule for desiderative.
Make it require cl.el, since I got tired of using a crippled lisp.
Use DEFSTRUCT for the rules, and give them names so that
you can redefine a rule without having to reload the entire
database of rules.
Add '#' to the characters that get flushed from kanji words
since that's a common inclusion character in fj newsgroups.
Split the set out into a variable *edict-kanji-whitespace*
to aid in user extensibility.
Added rule for ����ư�� �ơ��� -> �� conversion, which
I accidentally deleted earlier.
Added conditional form for adjectives.
Added causitive, passive, ����ư�� potential
Added some more missing ����ư�� rules, and
tightened up a number of rules, especially ����ư�� rules.
Upgrade the sorting of exact matches to the top to
handle exact matches of dictionary forms produced by
the rule set. For example, ���ʤ��� should have ����
sorted to the top of the list.
Updated credits. Added *edict-eigo-whitespace* like
*edict-kanji-whitespace*, and fixed a bug in the code.
Added rules for �����㤦��������ä�
Fri Mar 13 17:45:27 1992 Per Hammarlund (perham at perham.nada.kth.se)
* Merged Bob's extensions just below into the distribution
version. (Some of the things mentioned right above here,
shold be below.)
Fri Mar 13 17:44:06 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at crl.dec.com)
* Added functionality to translate verbs and adjectives to a basic
Wed Mar 11 09:41:23 1992 Per Hammarlund (perham at perham.nada.kth.se)
* Added edict-version and a variable *edict-version* to keep track
of the current version of the software.
* Type checks on the variable *edict-files* in function
Tue Mar 10 10:22:21 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at crl.dec.com)
* I've fixed some lingering bugs in restoring the window sizes
in multi-window mode.
* I've made it canonicalize whitespace, so that you can select
jukugo that wrap around lines, include whitespace, or whatever.
Also, multi-word english phrases can include newlines,
Tue Mar 10 07:11:24 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at crl.dec.com)
* I fixed the displaying to not screw up if there's a window above
(for example, when using it on fj.* gnus articles it used to
gradually grow the Subject window and shrink the Article window).
* I put giving a positive argument to the searching commands add a
new entry. Locally, I put these commands on m-& and m-*; and if
m-& doesn't find a compound, I do c-U m-& and add it.
* m-- m-& (or whatever) will remove the window. I did this
because c-X 1 is too much; if I was in 2 window mode, I don't want
to go to 1 window mode.
* I made the display show any exact matches before the inexact
matches. So if I do it on ��, I get that line first, instead of
buried in amongst all the compounds that sort earlier.
Mon Mar 9 00:00:00 1992 Bob Kerns (rwk at crl.dec.com)
* This gives you m-X edict-add-english and m-X
edict-add-kanji, and automagically maintains a private
dictionary in *edict-private-file*.
1991, 1992 Per Hammarlund (perham at perham.nada.kth.se)
* Wrote the bare bones of edict.el.