Welcome to custom Arch Linux kernel and associated packages for ASUS Eee PC model 901 wiki!
This repository holds customized Linux kernel package and other packages necessary to get Arch Linux up and running on Eee PC 901.
Currently, the repository holds the following packages:
- kernel-eeepc-901: Custom kernel package for Eee PC 901 with all the necessary modules/drivers built into the kernel.
- acpi-eeepc-901: A simple ACPI scripts for Eee PC 901.
Install the kernel just as you would install any other Arch Linux package. After the kernel package is properly installed, insert the following lines into your /boot/grub/menu.lst file:
# (2) Arch Linux title Arch Linux Eee PC root (hd0,0) kernel /boot/vmlinuz-eeepc-901 root=/dev/sda1 ro
Note the lack of initrd line. This is intentional, as the kernels doesn’t require initramfs image to boot since every modules necessary for booting have been built into the kernel itself.
NOTE: Since the kernel package have KMS module built into the kernel itself, you must use UXA acceleration architecture or else your system will hard lock when it tries to start X Window System.
If you are running the latest version of X.org without using xorg.conf file (which is what you should be doing), then you have already been using UXA and should be fine. If you use xorg.conf and want to manually enable UXA, insert the following line into Device section of your xorg.conf file:
Option “AccelMethod” “UXA”
I couldn’t have create these packages without help from the following people:
- toofishes, original creator of the PKGBUILD that I use. IMHO, his kernel-eee package for ASUS Eee PC model 701 is really the shining example of Arch’s KISS philosophy. I create these packages using his kernel-eee package as a template in hoping that I could capture the same simplicity and elegance.
- Robertek, for pioneering the effort to get Arch running on the 901. His kernel are what I use when I first got the 901 and making these packages would have been a lot harder without having his kernel’s PKGBUILD and kernel config file to use as a base.
- Blind, for making me aware of gregkh staging patch. It really does make dealing with wireless a lot more easier.
- nowahn, for the jumpy cursor patch. Makes the 901 touchpad feels a lot less sucky. ;)
- And all of the fine folks at Arch Linux community.
Thank you all guys. You guys rock!
If you see that your work are being used in my packages (or any of my codes in any repositories for that matter) without acknowledgment, please let me know and I will include the proper credit for you. Apologies in advance if I miss anyone.