Clone wiki

meetings / 141107_webex

Minutes Webex 07 November 2014, 6TiSCH WG

Note: timestamps in PDT.

Connection details

Resources

Taking notes (using Etherpad)

  1. Xavi Vilajosana
  2. Thomas Watteyne

Present

  1. Giuseppe Piro
  2. Maria Rita Palattella
  3. Martin Turon
  4. Michel Veillette
  5. Nicola Accettura
  6. Pascal Thubert
  7. Raghuram Sudhaakar
  8. Sedat Gormus
  9. Shitanshu Shah
  10. Subir Das
  11. Thomas Watteyne
  12. Xavi Vilajosana

Action Items

  • Pascal to add when draft-ietf-6tisch-tsch was adopted by WG
  • Pascal to remove "outline" slide from draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal presentation
  • Xavi to discuss with Pat Kinney about TsTxOffset. Renamed?
  • Pascal to start discussion in 6TiSCH ML about whether we make recommendation about a RPL instance to be used.

Agenda

  • Administrivia [2min]
    • Approval agenda
    • Approval minutes last call
  • overview new I-Ds [3min]
  • IETF91 admin [5min]
    • meetecho remote presentation
    • final agenda
  • run through draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-03 [5min] (Xavi Vilajosana)
  • run through draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-interface-02 [5min] (Thomas Watteyne)
  • run through draft-finn-detnet-problem-statement-01 [5min] (Norm Finn)
  • run through 6TiSCH ETSI Plugtest slides [5min] (TBD)
  • run through draft-richardson-6tisch--security-6top-03 [5min] (Michael Richardson)
  • run through draft-struik-6tisch-security-architecture-elements-01 [5min] (Rene Stuik)
  • RFC7322: RFC Style Guide [5min] (Pascal Thubert)
  • AOB [5min]

Minutes

  • [08.05] Meeting starts
    • Pascal starts recording
    • Pascal reminds note well
    • Objective of this call: prepare for IETF91 6TiSCH WG meeting, going through slides
    • Thomas indicates security design team met on Tuesday, minutes to be published
      • minutes will be published.
      • architecture is being developed.
      • Michael Richardson is going to present it at the next IETF meeting
  • [08.07] Administrivia [2min]
    • Approval agenda?
    • [Thomas] canceled agenda items:
      • Michael and Rene in the plane, they will send the slides as soon as they arrive in Hawaii.
      • Miguel will send slides on Monday
    • [Thomas] proposed additional agenda item:
      • discuss what we want to achieve during IETF91
    • [Martin] what is the 6TiSCH outcome about RPL compression?
      • [Pascal] discussions will be carried out during 6lo WG meeting
      • [Thomas] we agreed that the minimal draft published last week contains a link to the RPL compression mechanism that we are planning to use at 6TiSCH

        http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thubert-6lo-rpl-nhc-02.txt

      • [Pascal] status: suggestion that we should work on compression of RFC6553 and RFC6554. Have a new dispatch type.
      • [Pascal] we started with Flow Label approach that was compressing using the flow label space. Moving to 6top we make explicit that we carry the Routing information compressed. The cost is that we use more bytes. Can we get back to the space defined in RFC4944 (dispatch) and create a routing dispatch?
      • [Xavi] Would we have 2 dispatch options?
      • [Pascal] the packet will have a routing dispatch inside there will be some TLVs. After this particular dispatch there might me other dispatch (including the original packet, IPv6 dispatch). In terms of space this is similar to having Extension headers. Yes but it solves the IP in IP problem (encapsulating IP in IP). Could mean deprecation of the Mesh header.
      • [Thomas] I strongly oppose that idea.
      • [Martin] It seems like you are trying to propose a Mesh under RPL. Mesh header is well designed. Discourage the deprecation of the Mesh header.
      • [Thomas] We agreed to use draft-thubert-6lo-rpl-nhc; now part of minimal draft. I believe we should stick to that plan. 6lo meeting will dedicate 30min to this draft.
      • [Thomas] This discussion is very important and we need to have it in a open forum, well beyond this call.
    • [Thomas] What do we want to achieve during IETF91?

      Thomas pastes list in chat and presents it line by line

      • agreeing on http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thubert-6lo-rpl-nhc-02.txt
      • it looks like 4 drafts are almost WGLC'able
        • draft-ietf-6tisch-tsch
        • draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal
        • draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-interface
        • draft-ietf-6tisch-coap (see discussion below)
      • Chairs to discuss plugtest with AD
        • ETSI and 6TiSCH committed for IETF93
        • need to explore possibilities for rooms, etc with Ted
      • agree on strategy for draft-ietf-6tisch-coap
        • [Thomas] question is: should we push draft-ietf-6tisch-coap or wait for generic solution from COMAN?
        • [Thomas] opinions?
        • [Xavi] if COMAN's solution does not take ages, would prefer to go for a more general approach
        • [Pascal] suggest to publish a version of draft-ietf-6tisch-coap which clearly contains some versioning mechanism, so we can (quickly) ship what we have and allow it to evolve.
        • [Thomas] Agree that would be better to have a generic solution, but we waited for 1 year now. We should speed up things. Push for the current draft and have a back door so we can change in case there is a more general solution.
      • [Xavi] Would add one point: discuss about the 6top interface and whether it should cover all the 15.4PIB or not. If not, where is the boundary? what are the items that should be tackled by 6top YANG model?
    • Approval minutes last call

      [editorial note by Thomas: we got carried away by previous discussion and did NOT explicitly cover this point, oops. I will send an e-mail to the ML to ask for approval of the minutes of last call. This is an additional action item NOT discussed during the call.]

  • overview new I-Ds [3min]
    • the following drafts were published for IETF91:
      • draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-interface-02
      • draft-ietf-6tisch-architecture-04
      • draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-03
      • draft-ietf-6tisch-tsch-03
      • draft-richardson-6tisch--security-6top-03
      • draft-struik-6tisch-security-architecture-elements-01
  • [08.39] IETF91 admin [5min]
  • run-through draft-ietf-6tisch-tsch-03 [Maria Rita Palattella]
    • Maria Rita presents slides

      Action item: Pascal to add when draft-ietf-6tisch-tsch was adopted by WG

  • run-through draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-03 [Xavi Vilajosana]
    • Xavi presents slides

      Action item: Pascal to remove "outline" slide from draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal presentation

    • [Xavi] we need to discuss with Pat Kinney about TsTxOffset. Renamed?

      Action item: Xavi to discuss with Pat Kinney about TsTxOffset. Renamed?

    • [Pascal] in architecture, indicate we use rank from one RPL distribution
    • [Xavi] for minimal, we could use the lowest/highest

      Action item: Pascal to start discussion in 6TiSCH ML about whether we make recommendation about a RPL instance to be used

  • run-through draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-interface-02 [Thomas Watteyne]
    • We need to raise question about authorship. Pat Kinney will probably join authors, mostly for English.
  • run-through draft-finn-detnet-problem-statement-01 [Pascal Thubert]
    • Pascal presents slides, can present slides during WG meeting, or Norm
  • run-through 6TiSCH ETSI Plugtest slides

    not covered (see comment Thomas at beginning of call)

  • run through draft-richardson-6tisch--security-6top-03

    not covered (see comment Thomas at beginning of call)

  • run through draft-struik-6tisch-security-architecture-elements-01

    not covered (see comment Thomas at beginning of call)

  • RFC7322: RFC Style Guide

    not covered. Pascal recommends to go through slides.

  • AOB [5min]
    • [Thomas] Meetecho team will contact remote presenters to schedule some testing. This will be during IETF week, but before the WG meeting. Not sure when.
    • [Martin] Suggests to spend more time on security, and have a clear presentation discussion on what is proposed.
    • [Martin] Have fun in HI!
  • [09.15] Meeting ends

Updated