Overview „ICST Ambisonics Plugins 2.3“
Institute for Computer Music and Sound Technology / ICST Zurich University of the Arts
Developer - team: Christian Schweizer / Martin Neukom / Johannes Schuett
Free download here: Downloads
ICST Ambisonics Plugins consist of the following components:
- AmbiDecoder Plugins 1st to 7th order
- AmbiEncoder Plugins 1st to 7th order with mono-input (1 channel)
- AmbiEncoder Plugins 1st to 7th order with multi-input (up to 64 channels)
Currently, the following plugin bundles are available (64-bit universal binary):
- OSX: ICST_AmbiPlugins_2.3.0_osx (VST3 and AU)
- Windows: ICST_AmbiPlugins_2.3.0_win_x64 (VST3 only)
Run the Installer (.pkg for OSX; .exe for Windows); the plugins will be automatically copied to the standard plugin folder.
- Wiki / Plugin specifications: Wiki
- Report problems and bugs: Issues
- All examples and tutorials are based on Reaper 64bit DAW: Download
Setup the ICST Ambisonics Plugins in a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)
The recommended DAW is Reaper v6.13 or newer.
- Rescan the plugin folder.
- Start a new Reaper project.
- Add a new track using the key combination Ctrl+T, double-clicking on the left track area or the menu Insert>Track.
- Click FX to open the Plugin List window and search for your AnbiEncoder-panner.
- Click on "Routing" in the track where you just added the "AnbiEncoder-panner."
- Change the Track Channels to adjust the number of outputs of the AnbiEncoder-panner: 4 for the first job (AmbiEncoder_O1), 16 for the third order (AmbiEncoder_O3), 64 for the seventh order (AmbiEncoder_O7).
- To add the decoder, click FX on the master track and add your matching AmbiDecoder.
- From the AmbiDecoder user interface, select the speaker settings you want to use from the drop-down menu.
- Make sure that the master track has enough channels by clicking on 'Routing' and checking that the 'Track Channels' match the track and the encoder/panner. If not, change it.
- Add mono audio to the track by dragging and dropping it or using the Insert>Media File menu.
- Make sure you have connected the correct AnbiDecoder speaker configuration to the appropriate hardware audio output channels!
- Start playback, and you can start controlling the position of your sound in 3D!
- Important: Remember to disable the AmbiDecoder plug-in when rendering your project to get the direct format signals. Otherwise, it will be statically decoded to the speaker setup.
Note: Different Ambisonics plug-ins can use different Ambisonics formats. The ICST-Ambisonics plugins all use the AmbiX (SN3D/ACN) format used by Google for YouTube 360. If you mix panner and encoders from different vendors, make sure that the formats match or use a suitable converter.
We’d love to get your feedback!
ZHdK / ICST 2023