Define a range of "abstract" schemas, and record which of these are supported by each "concrete" real-world data formats.
Major Data Categories:
- Tabular Data (Users, Inventory etc.)
- Sensor Data (Time Stamped measures of Temperature, GPS, Pressure, Light, Speed, etc)
- Route Data (2d, 3d, 6d)
- Course Data (Time Stamped 2d, 3d, 6d)
Collection of general purpose tables to store information related to users, inventory of vehicle parts, or a list of drivers.
Time stamped readings from various sensors including Temperature, GPS, Pressure, Light, Speed, etc.
Note: Based on the assumption that, sensors will have very limited number of attributes.
Another option for storing sensor readings is to populate main table with common attributes, and to maintain a separate table for storing readings from different sensor types including Temperature, Speed, Light, Pressure and others.
Series of location values, with no time-value. Could be the route of a pipeline, a road, a contour on a mountain. A route can be 2d, 3d or 6d. There could be the following two solutions to store Route information.
Option # 1 : ==== To have a single generic table having redundant attributes. The available attributes will be populated for each type of Route (2d, 2d or 6d) and rest of the attributes will be left empty.
- For 2d route data, attributes Location Z axis, Pitch, Roll and Yaw will left empty.
- For 3d route data, attributes Pitch, Roll and Yaw will left empty.
- For 6d route data, all the attributes will be available.
Cons: This solution will end up in a single huge table with most of the columns having empty values.
Option # 2 : ==== To have 3 separate physical tables, one for each type of Route (2d, 3d, or 6d)
- Route Data 2d table will be populated with 2d components from all type of vehicle routes including values from Watch based GPS, GPS with altitudes and airplane black box.
- Route Data 3d table will be populated with 3d components from all type of vehicle routes including values from GPS with altitudes and airplane black box.
- Route Data 6d table will be populated with 6d components from airplane black box.
Time stamped route data. Could be the course of car, plane or any other vehicle.