This is the result of the survey taken 22/7/2012 to more than 3000 software developers. The objective was to learn habits of programmers and make an infography of this profession.
Because hours and times had to be parsed, some code was written to parse data. The code to extract this data was written in Scala. In this project you will find everything you need to run and extract the values yourself. This is a work in progress. Please feel free to suggest information we can entail from this set of data.
Wake up Hour
On average, programmers wake up at 07:50:40.
97.6% of the dates were correctly parsed for this average.
Work Arrive Hour
On average, programmers arrive at work at 09:06:09.
96.98% of the dates were correctly parsed for this average.
65% of programmers drink coffee. 10% drink more than 5 coffees per day. 34% don't drink coffee at all.
10% of programmers work at home 40% take the car to work Biking and using the train to work has the same % (10%).
Developers spend more than 2 hours per day developing code. Less than 13% spend less than 2 hours coding. Coding is also a disperse activity throughout the day (73%). Although the data was badly collected (due to 'catch all' field of '2 to 6 or more'), this should be the most pervasive activity during the day.
Talking to Clients
47% of programmers don't talk to clients. 39% spend less than 1 hour a day doing it. Talking to clients is also a disperse activity throughout the day
69% of programmers spend less than 1 hour on daily meetings Programmers also tend to have their meeting either on the morning or on the afternoon (having 27% and 23% respectively which totals 50%) A large majority also has meetings dispersed throughout the day.
30% of programmers don't deal with management issues on their daily basis. 48% spend less then 1 hour on daily management activities. Only 20% spend more than 2 hours on management activities dispersed throughout the day.
Developers spend on average 8.57 hours working (hours counted as workplace hours).
99% of the data was correctly parsed.
Only 44.74% of programmers exercise. The average hour of exercise is at 12:04:43.
Developers spend on a daily average 56.4 minutes sending, receiving or viewing emails. 94.75% of the values were correctly parsed for this average.
1380 developers (in 3144 totals 43.9%) work after dinner. 38% code afterhours.
Programmers get on average 4.5 hours to themselves.
94.05% of the values were correctly parsed for this average.
Programmers go to bed on average at 22:54:29. Assuming they do not fall asleep right away, they get close to 9 hours of sleep everyday.
32% confessed to have some sort of difficult sleep (mild or severe insomnia).
Adding the total hours of the day: 8.5 (work day) + 9 Remaining hours could be filled with commuting(sleep) + 4.5(down time) = 22.15 hours Remaining hours could be filled with commuting and eating times.