SPP-extended theory: prediction tools for researchers
Summary of the repository
You may find a collection of programs (written in Python) aiming to predict excitation of Surface Plasmon Polaritons (SPPs) on a wide range of materials and light irradiation wavelengths. These programs can also be used to predict formation of Laser-Induced Periodic Surface Structures (LIPSS).
T.J.-Y. Derrien (scientist, Hilase Centre FZU, https://scholar.google.de/citations?user=Aqf4reEAAAAJ&hl=en, website: https://sites.google.com/site/tjyderrien/): developing spp and keldysh theory, programming.
F. Přeučil (Charles University, Hilase): programming multilayer mathematical solver.
J. Bonse [BAM Berlin: Staff scientist, BAM Federal Institute of Materials Research and Testing, Berlin https://scholar.google.de/citations?user=a6cZqn8AAAAJ&hl=en]: Provided the tabulated Palik data.
Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions: project QuantumLaP (WP4: Dispersion relations for surface functionalization theory)
HiLASE project (FZU/AS CR, Prague, Czech Republic): http://www.hilase.cz/en/
Adolf Martens Fellowship: BAM Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing, Berlin, Germany.
Concept of the code
This code contains optical data for currently 39 materials on large range of wavelengths. These databasis were tabulated from Palik (Handbook of optical constants, Academic Press 1985), and refractiveindex.info databasis. Use of SOPRA database is not recommended.
For each of these data, the following theories can be applied.
Surface Electromagnetic Waves theory ("Sipe" model)
The code can also calculate the energy deposition pattern for surface roughness smaller than 30 nm. It is based on the model proposed by J. Sipe et al (J. Sipe et al, Phys. Rev. B 27, 114 (1983)) and extended by J. Appl. Phys. 97, 013538 (2005).
Warning: this simple model is for now limited to low intensity irradiations in atmosphere, but ready for being applied to all the materials described in the database.
SPP theory for single interface
Status: validated, applied to multi-material, first publication submitted.
Two modes of calculations exist:
Discrete wavelength values, automatic plots for multimaterials;
For 1 material, automatic plots for a wide spectral range.
- Provides: material-dependent SPP condition, SPP period, SPP decay depth, optical penetration depth, experimentally achievable configurations.
SPP theory for multilayer systems
3 layer model (experimental module is coded),
Publication is available here: T.J-Y Derrien, R Koter, J Krüger, S Höhm, A Rosenfeld, J Bonse, Journal of Applied Physics 116, 074902 (2014) [http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/jap/116/7/10.1063/1.4887808]
How to install and use ?
This code is based on Python.
Ask for an access to Thibault Derrien (derrien on server fzu.cz).
Install Anaconda for your system.
Clone the GIT repository after obtaining access (delay: 1 min - 6 hours).
How to contribute ?
Cite our papers
- Dostovalov, A. V.; Derrien, T. J.-Y.; Lizunov, S. A.; Přeučil, F.; Okotrub, K. A.; Mocek, T.; Korolkov, V. P.; Babin, S. A. & Bulgakova, N. M. LIPSS on thin metallic films: New insights from multiplicity of laser-excited electromagnetic modes and efficiency of metal oxidation Applied Surface Science 491, 650-658 (2019) [https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0169433219314795]
- Gräf, S.; Kunz, C.; Engel, S.; Derrien, T. & Müller, F. Femtosecond Laser-Induced Periodic Surface Structures on Fused Silica: The Impact of the Initial Substrate Temperature, Materials 11, 1340 (2018) [https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1944/11/8/1340]
- Gnilitskyi, I.; Derrien, T.; Levy, Y.; Bulgakova, N.; Mocek, T. & Orazi, L. High-speed manufacturing of highly regular femtosecond laser-induced periodic surface structures: physical origin of regularity. Scientific reports 7, 8485 (2017), [https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-08788-z]
- Maragkaki, S.; Derrien, T. J.-Y.; Levy, Y.; Bulgakova, N. M.; Ostendorf, A. & Gurevich, E. L. Wavelength dependence of picosecond laser-induced periodic surface structures on copper Applied Surface Science 417, 88-92 (2017), https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0169433217304191
- T.J.-Y. Derrien, J. Krüger, J. Bonse, Properties of Surface Plasmon Polaritons on lossy materials: Lifetimes, periods and excitation conditions, Journal of Optics 18, 115007 (2016) [https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/2040-8978/18/11/115007/meta]
- T.J-Y Derrien, R Koter, J Krüger, S Höhm, A Rosenfeld, J Bonse, Journal of Applied Physics 116, 074902 (2014) [http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/jap/116/7/10.1063/1.4887808]
Propose new developments
- Ask for an access, post an idea to the forum, change the code and publish the new routines! :)