If you've been following Bitbucket Cloud's roadmap, you know that we've been heads down focusing on building our product for enterprise scale and performance. With our Server end of support date (Feb 15th, 2024) approaching soon, we're seeing many of our Server customers considering migrating to cloud. In the past year, we've launched several enterprise features such as audit logs, project-level permissions, 99.9% uptime SLA's, smart caches, and a lot more.
In speaking to many of you over the last few quarters, we hear you loud and clear that you need to be able to manage users at scale in Atlassian Admin and be able to connect Bitbucket Cloud to Atlassian Access so you can connect to external user directories like Okta, Azure AD.
This blog outlines what we're building and has tentative launch dates so your teams can plan your migration timelines.
What is Unified User Management?
Unified User Management brings Bitbucket user, group, and permission management to Atlassian Admin. This means that you can manage users across your Atlassian tools in one unified place. We have previously been referring to this feature as Shared User Management, so if you've seen references to that before, Unified User Management will be the name going forward.
With unified user management, workspace admins will be able to:
- Integration with Atlassian Admin: Provision and de-provision Bitbucket Cloud users via Atlassian Admin, the same way you manage user access to Jira Software, Jira Service Management, Confluence, Atlas & Trello users. This means a simpler, streamlined user management experience. No more having to manage Bitbucket users in a different UI.
- Connect to external directories via Access: Once Bitbucket is connected to Atlassian Admin, you will also be able to connect to third-party identity providers like Okta, Azure AD, and others via Atlassian Access. Access provides enhanced security controls, enterprise-grade authentication features, insights, and more. This has been one of our top requests from enterprise admins.
This project has multiple milestone launches.
- Dec 2023: We will start an Early Access program (EAP), testing with a small number of new customers migrating from Bitbucket Server or Data Center to Bitbucket Cloud.
- Q1 2024: We’ll start rolling it out to new customers migrating to Bitbucket Cloud.
- Q4 2024: We'll start rolling this out to existing Bitbucket Cloud customers. This is a longer timeframe because it requires migrating your existing user history and permissions over to Atlassian Admin. We are building processes to make this a seamless transition for our existing customers.
The dates may change a bit so please follow the public roadmap on these and also for all other great features we have lined up for you.
- [Webinar] A closer look at Bitbucket Cloud and migration tips Listen to Bitbucket Cloud's Head of Product, Chris Clarke, talk about the product vision and enterprise roadmap.
- [Webinar] How Atlassian engineers use Bitbucket Cloud: 6000+ engineers use Bitbucket Cloud at Atlassian. This webinar gives you a glimpse of our processes and how we use Bitbucket Cloud internally.
- Bitbucket Cloud migration app: Easily migrate your users, code, comments, and pull requests from Bitbucket Server or Data Center to Bitbucket Cloud.
- If you have a complex migration, your Atlassian Partner can help. If you have questions for us, please reach out to us on the Atlassian Community or via support.