POPS is able to emulate a large range of games perfectly fine with the POPStarter fixes – which makes it superior to PS2PSXE. Best results are expected in internal HDD mode.
Unfortunately, some famous and epic games are still unplayable. Here’s a short list of them :
- Crash Bash (extreme flickering) ;
- Tekken 3 (extreme flickering) :
- Spyro 2 & 3 (crashes) ;
- Gran Turismo 2 (black cars) ;
- Dino Crisis (crashes) ;
- Parasite Eve II (crashes, and no SFX/music until a cutscene is played) ;
- Resident Evil 3 (random crashes).
Compatibility lists and forms :
- Rev 13 Official Compatibility Lists :
These compatibility lists are managed by AlGollan84 (aka Algol aka Allan58) and krHACKen.
|Device||Compatibility list (read-only)||The form for submitting reports|
- ElOtroLado Compatibility Lists (managed by El_Patas) : here.
Compatibility modes :
If your game is poorly emulated, you can enable a compatibility mode to try to fix your issue.
|0×01||Helps restoring the music/voices in several games.|
|0×02||A variant of mode 0×01, with a second hack for not breaking the MDECoding of FMVs (was designed for the Colony Wars series).|
|0×03||Can be used if the mode 0×01 doesn’t provide the expected results.|
|0×04||Fixes slowdowns, flickering, and many other glitches (prevents the emulator from writing a garbage value in two of the virtual GPU registers).|
|0×05||Made for fixing the cutscenes of the PAL Resident Evil: Director’s Cut.|
|0×06||Disables the OSD shell of the emulator’s built-in BIOS, making some games that freeze on startup run.|
|0×07||Fixes the missing textures problems (example : Tomb Raider III ). Unfinished (breaks the gamma).|
- Modes 0×01, 0×02, 0×03 and 0×05 cannot be enabled in the same time or combined. These are variants of the same hack and they are conflicting, so use only use one of them at a time.
How to enable a compatibility mode :
- using a PATCH_#.BIN file from the compatibility mode archive : place the PATCH_#.BIN file in the VMC directory of your problematic game and test.
- using a CHEATS.TXT file : see the cheat engine section to know how to enable a mode using the cheat engine.
- hardcoding the mode in POPStarter (advanced user) : read POPStarter configuration table.
Note : if your game lags badly or stalls randomly and that mode 0×04 doesn’t fix that, you can try to use $CODECACHE_ADDON_0 command in a GAME/CHEATS.TXT file. Do not use it by default on all your games because most games will stop working with it.
Automated fixes :
POPStarter has an internal database containing various fixes (compatibility modes, LibCrypt cracks and miscellaneous fixes) for a big amount of games. These fixes will be automatically applied to your game, as long as you use proper dumps (for identification).