POPStarter for internal HDD
POPS decrypted files :
To use POPStarter with an internal HDD, you have to find and download the POPS decrypted files. These files are named “POPS.ELF” and “IOPRP252.IMG”...
|POPS.ELF||355a892a8ce4e4a105469d4ef6f39a42||Main SLBB-00001 ELF, decrypted.|
|IOPRP252.IMG||1db9c6020a2cd445a7bb176a1a3dd418||Can be found in some retail game discs and $CEI SDKs too.|
Other Software Requirements :
- A software that allows you to convert your disc images to the POPS virtual CDROM format (such as CUE2POPS) ;
- A software that allows you to manage/create partitions in your PS2 HDD (such as AKuHAK’s uLaunchELF build or uLE_kHn build) ;
- A software that allows you to copy the decrypted POPS files to the __common partition of your PS2 HDD (such as AKuHAK’s uLaunchELF build or uLE_kHn build) ;
- A software that allows you to transfer the converted disc images to your PS2 HDD (such as PFSshell, or uLaunchELF and RadHostClient) ;
- A PS2 software that allows you to execute the POPStarter ELFs (such as uLaunchELF, or Free Harddisk Drive Boot) or a GUI to execute POPSTARTER.ELF by selecting the VCDs (such as uLE_kHn ).
Hardware Requirements :
- A PS2 console which is able to run PS2 unsigned code ;
- A network adapter with/or a HDD interface ;
- A PS2-formatted HDD that fits your network adapter/HDD interface.
Installation (new launch type) :
a) Installing the emulator :
- Find and download the decrypted emulator files ;
- Create a directory named “POPS” in the “__common” partition of your PS2 HDD ;
- Paste POPS.ELF and IOPRP252.IMG into the “POPS” directory you’ve just created.
b) Installing your PS1 Games :
- Convert your BIN/CUE disc images to .VCD files using the latest stable version of CUE2POPS ;
- Create a partition named “__.POPS” in your PS2 HDD, large enough so you can put all your VCDs inside.
c) Installing POPStarter :
- Rename the POPStarter ELF as the name of your VCDs, replace the .VCD extension with a .ELF extension (example : for running a VCD named “Crash Bandicoot (PAL).VCD”, the POPStarter ELF must be renamed as “Crash Bandicoot (PAL).ELF”) ;
- Copy or leave the ELFs where you want to run them from ;
- Enjoy !
POPStarter bundle includes a file named POPSTARTER.KELF (KELF = Krypo-ELF = ELF embedded into a container). It can be used if you have SONY Browser 2.00 (aka HDDOSD) installed on your HDD. Otherwise, it’s useless.
- Partition name prefix is of course PP. (PP(dot)) ;
- 1 partition = 1 game – you can’t install several games into a single partition (unless it’s a multi-disc game).
Read here for a guide about how to set it up.
HDD Launch types (advanced) :
HDD supports 3 “launch types”. The “launch type” relies on the prefix of your ELF names. Each type uses his own way to name the VCD file :
|Old launch type||Alternate old launch type||New launch type|
|Partition shown in the HDDOSD / PSBBN / PSX XMB||Yes||No||–|
|Prefix for POPSTARTER.ELF||PP. (if used)||__.||No prefix|
|Prefix for partition name||PP.||__.||__.POPS or __.POPS#|
|Game name||IMAGE0.VCD (all uppercase)||IMAGE0.VCD (all uppercase)||GAME.VCD|
|Description||Launch type that was used in POPStarter 12 and older. Allows to install one VCD per partition.||Launch type that was used in POPStarter 12 and older. Allows to install one VCD per partition.||Launch type introduced in POPStarter 13. Allows to put multiple VCDs in a single partition.|
(1) With the POPStarter ELF renamed as PP.GAME.ELF, POPStarter will launch IMAGE0.VCD which is in the partition named PP.GAME.
(2) With the POPStarter ELF renamed as __.GAME.ELF, POPStarter will launch IMAGE0.VCD which is in the partition named __.GAME.
(3) With the POPStarter ELF renamed as GAME.ELF, POPStarter will launch GAME.VCD which is in the partition named __.POPS or __.POPS0 or __.POPS1… up to __.POPS9.
Examples of setup :
=== INTERNAL HDD, OLD LAUNCH TYPE (HDDOSD COMPATIBLE) === __common/POPS/IOPRP252.IMG __common/POPS/POPS.ELF PP.Crash_Bandicoot/EXECUTE.KELF PP.Crash_Bandicoot/IMAGE0.VCD
=== INTERNAL HDD, ALTERNATE OLD LAUNCH TYPE (HIDDEN PARTITION) === __common/POPS/IOPRP252.IMG __common/POPS/POPS.ELF __.Crash_Bandicoot/IMAGE0.VCD __sysconf/FMCB/__.Crash_Bandicoot.ELF
=== INTERNAL HDD, NEW LAUNCH TYPE === __common/POPS/IOPRP252.IMG __common/POPS/POPS.ELF __.POPS/Crash Bandicoot (PAL).VCD __sysconf/FMCB/Crash Bandicoot (PAL).ELF
Additional notes :
- The internal HDD has to be PS2 formatted. If you need to format it, use the latest WIP version of AKuHAK’s uLaunchELF HDD edition ;
- The partition names are case sensitive, and have to match the POPStarter ELF names ;
- The third character of the ELF prefix (when used) is a dot (PPdot / __dot ) ;
- The prefix (when used) has to be uppercase ;
- The file extension .VCD has to be uppercase ;
- Whitespaces are not allowed in the partition names (for old launch types).
Related stuff :
You may want to give a look at this :
- [HDD] Transfer VCD files using PFSSHELL 0.2a
- [HDD] Transfer VCD files over network using RadHostClient