Virtual Memory Cards
About VMC :
The very first time a game is launched, a new folder named “GAME” (ex : Crash Bandicoot) will be created into your POPS directory – one separate folder for each game. This folder contains 2 files – SLOT0.VMC & SLOT1.VMC, which are your VMCs.
POPS/Crash Bandicoot.VCD POPS/Crash Bandicoot/SLOT0.VMC POPS/Crash Bandicoot/SLOT1.VMC
If you know how to hexedit POPStarter, you can change that behaviour to have only 1 VMC created – or not at all. Check the configuration table to know how to change the default setting (offset $429).
Setting a path for the VMC folder :
Here’s how to change the destination VMC folder of your games :
Let’s say your game is MY_GAME.VCD. The VMCs are saved to POPS/MY_GAME/. You want the VMCs to be saved into POPS/BLAHBLAH/ instead.
- Create an empty text file;
- Write BLAHBLAH into it;
- Save it as VMCDIR.TXT;
- Copy VMCDIR.TXT to POPS/MY_GAME/
mass:/POPS/MY_GAME.VCD mass:/POPS/MY_GAME/VMCDIR.TXT mass:/POPS/BLAHBLAH/SLOT0.VMC mass:/POPS/BLAHBLAH/SLOT1.VMC
VMCDIR.TXT content :
- All the POPStarter files (TROJANs, PATCHes, CHEATS.TXT...) will still be loaded from /POPS/MY_GAME/, but POPS will use the VMCs that are in /POPS/BLAHBLAH/ ;
- Characters that are obviously not allowed are / \ and :
- VMCDIR.TXT will not be loaded if it’s bigger than 103 bytes or if it contains more than 1 line ;
- Target folder must remain in POPS folder ;
- This feature is useful when you are several users and want to use different VMCs. Each user can have his own VMC folder ;
- If you want to use a single pair of VMCs for ALL your games, place the VMCDIR.TXT file in POPS folder. The VMCs will not be overwritten but mounted and loaded, and you will be able to save in them with no data loss.
smb:/YourSharedFolder/POPS/Crash Bandicoot.VCD smb:/YourSharedFolder/POPS/Tekken.VCD smb:/YourSharedFolder/POPS/Castlevania - Symphony of the night.VCD smb:/YourSharedFolder/POPS/VMCDIR.TXT smb:/YourSharedFolder/POPS/SAVES/SLOT0.VMC smb:/YourSharedFolder/POPS/SAVES/SLOT1.VMC
VMCDIR content :
Here the 3 games mentionned will use POPS/SAVES/SLOT0.VMC and POPS/SAVES/SLOT1.VMC as VMCs with no issue.
Additional notes :
- No physical MC support – would be too slow.
Related stuff :
You may want to give a look at this :